Greg Walker yet again leads Sox to worst batting average

Steve9347

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 8, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
I still don't believe a change would make that big of a difference. But at this point how could he not be fired?

Yah. That's my thought. I'm not sure this offense would hit much better even with an 'awesome' hitting coach. But I can't believe he's not fired yet. I think Kenny is trying to hold onto hope just as long as he can.

The only conclusion I have come up with this organization's steadfast devotion to Walker is they approve of the approach and the players believe it is the best approach. Players are not going to bet their careers, season after season, on a bad system and the team is not going to stick with a guy teaching a method they do not approve of.

So they must have supreme confidence in the Walker Method, and believe it is the players who are not producing. The players somehow have bought into it as well. Perhaps Walker has gone to the Scott Boras school of influence and getting people to do things not in their best interest.

For your reading pleasure...

Guillen comes out swinging in support of Walker

By Barry Rozner | Daily Herald Columnist

Published: 5/9/2008 12:29 AM

All evidence to the contrary, Ozzie Guillen does not actually believe he knows everything.

But there is one thing of which the White Sox manager is absolutely certain.

"Greg Walker ain't going nowhere. I can promise you that," Guillen said of the team's embattled hitting coach. "I know every time something goes wrong, people want to see someone get fired, but Greg Walker isn't getting fired."

Prior to Thursday's 6-2 victory over Minnesota on the South Side, the White Sox had a league-leading 40 home runs through 33 games, but were only eighth in RBI and last in batting average (.233).

"It's not fair to blame Greg Walker," Guillen said. "Maybe some players need to look in the mirror and realize what they're doing, and how they're approaching their at-bats.''

Mired now in a little difficulty, Nick Swisher went 0-for-4 and saw his average fall to .200, but he took a big cut at the critics of his hitting coach, and his impassioned defense of Walker was impressive.

"What, is Walk supposed to come in the box and hit for me?" Swisher laughed. "I don't get that. It's ridiculous. The man is really good at what he does, but ultimately the responsibility's on us.

"Anyone wants to put this on him, have them come and talk to me."

Their approach was a hair better Thursday, as the Sox managed 8 hits and 5 walks off six Twins pitchers, but the first 3 runs again came off 2 home runs, and the first was a solo shot by Jermaine Dye, the last in a streak of 11 straight blasts with no one aboard.

"We don't have a bunch of kids here. These are guys who have a history of hitting, and they've got a job to do," Guillen said. "I don't worry about Greg Walker. He comes here and works hard. He cares and he worries about them. He tries to help them with the mental side and he's doing all he can do. It's up to those guys to do their job."

At least on Thursday there was a blatant attempt at putting the ball in play, as opposed to merely hoping to hit it over the Dan Ryan.

Maybe that's why Walker, for one, believes this lineup is going to hit, and that it's going to happen soon. That's not just whistling past the graveyard, which Walker admits to doing in 2007.

"Last year, I knew we were in trouble, but you can't say that out loud,'' Walker said. "We had some injuries and it wasn't a good team.

"That's not the case here. What people on the outside don't realize is how different this is. This is a good team and we're close to the division lead and no one's running away with it.

"We got some guys that are really close to busting out. But the important part is mentally they haven't quit and they're working.

"This is the strongest team I've ever been around mentally and from an accountability standpoint."

Walker went so far as to compare this team's make-up to the one that captured the flag in 2005.

"I'd be worried if I saw any give in this team but I don't. I see them every day and I see what's in their eyes," Walker insisted. "It reminds me of '05 in some ways. I'm not predicting a World Series in May, but I'm excited about how tough these guys are mentally. I know how much they care."

Mark Buehrle made that statement on behalf of his teammates Wednesday night when he clobbered a defenseless dugout heater with Juan Uribe's often-defenseless bat.

Buehrle unplugged the device when he saw it begin to smoke, and Thursday he autographed it.

"The guy who broke it has a lot of money. Maybe we'll get a better one,'' Guillen chuckled. "I'm glad he took it out on that and not one of his teammates, or a wall and break his hand.

"It's good for his teammates to see he cares.''

Despite Buehrle's troubles (1-4, 5.31 ERA), the Sox are third in the league in team ERA after finishing 12th last year, which leads Guillen to believe better days are ahead.

"I'm really optimistic, the way we're pitching," he said. "I know we're going to hit."

The best hit of the day wasn't Uribe's 2-run blast in the fifth that gave the Sox a 3-2 lead. It was Uribe's thunderous take-out of Twins second baseman Brendan Harris in the eighth on what should have been an inning-ending double-play. As a result, the Sox picked up a pair of big insurance runs.

The dugout exploded in delight, and Guillen was first out of his seat.

"That's the best thing that happened today. We've been missing that,'' Guillen said. "When we don't do the little things, our offense is just a bunch of home runs with nobody on base.

"But that play gets the whole team pumped up."

It helped the Sox leave for a 10-day West Coast trip in second place, only a game out, but with only a couple games separating the entire five-team division.

"It's way too early to get caught up in this slump or that slump, or this win or that loss," said Paul Konerko. "There's about 130 games left. That's a lot of time for us to hit, and we'll hit our share before it's over."

And it ain't over until the last dugout heater's been destroyed.

Or something like that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
Little things like that takeout slide are what can really get a team going. I was almost happier to see that, versus Juan's two run dinger.

Yes. That was a thing of beauty.

QUOTE (YASNY @ May 9, 2008 -> 08:50 AM)
Yes. That was a thing of beauty.

I'm a big person on making your own breaks. I'd much rather see this team taking the extra base, taking out the relay throw etc, than running into the occasional HR. That tells me more about the pulse of this team, than any 500 foot homer does. The last couple days have really told me that this team intends to stick around, and they really believe that they can.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2008 -> 05:41 AM)
Little things like that takeout slide are what can really get a team going. I was almost happier to see that, versus Juan's two run dinger.

Absolutely. Not only did it score an extra run, but it sent a message as well. And putting it in the context of Torii Hunter knocking Jamie Burke on his ass four years ago, it was that much sweeter.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2008 -> 06:41 AM)

since it appears we are stuck with him, it would be a very pleasant surprise if Uribe started producing at the plate. I like his new closed stance.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like making a change just to make a change. Or as some like to say "send a message to the players." If there's a guy out there that they legitimately think can help turn this offense around and he's available, go for it. If not, these dumbass hitters will just have to snap out of it on their own. And with June right around the corner, I'm not so sure that's possible. I'll continue to believe, though.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 24, 2008 -> 05:45 PM)
bumpity

During the 8 game winning streak, the team was hitting close to .300. They have 6 or so hits the last 2 games. How did Walker get so stupid so quickly? I just know two things, its Walker's fault if the players don't hit. If a guy like Quentin has more success than he ever has at the major league level, Walker has absolutely nothing to do with it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 24, 2008 -> 06:40 PM)
During the 8 game winning streak, the team was hitting close to .300. They have 6 or so hits the last 2 games. How did Walker get so stupid so quickly? I just know two things, its Walker's fault if the players don't hit. If a guy like Quentin has more success than he ever has at the major league level, Walker has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Of course, not being hurt and having a consistent starting job probably has something to do with it as well.

I don't think people quite grasp how little veteran hitters truly use the batting coach. I was listening to Chipper Jones the other day and he was saying that he'll have the hitting coach help him with video but when it comes down to it, he goes to his dad whenever his swing is in trouble.

Walker is widely respected around baseball. I remember the last guy the Sox ran out of town as a hitting coach ended up fitting in quite nicely in Boston. The only reason I can really condone the firing of Walker is because it might just send a message to the vets to wake the f*** up. However, this season there is built in excuse for Paulie (a hurt hand is going to f*** your bat speed up and much much more) so really its Swisher/Thome that you can look at.

Swisher got all screwed up from being at the top spot in the lineup and needs to come out of his funk. He hasn't shown much lately but I'll give Walker some time to really figure out Swish and for the two of them to work. In Thome's case, I really don't think it has anythign to do with Walk and much more to do with Thome just not being the same player he once was (slower bat speed makes him cheat and makes him even more suscepitble to the strikeout).

OC is all f'd up but he's actually showing signs of coming out. Walker probably did little the first few weeks with him (usually vets try to figure out things on there own initially in a slump and after that I'm guessing Walk got more involved). Juan Uribe is just bad offensively so whether its Walker or Jesus Christ himself it wouldn't matter.

Bottom line, instead of blaming the easy person people start blaming the guys putting on the uni's and making the outs. I've long said it could pay off to get more young blood in the lineup. Quentin has helped and maybe we'll see a little bit more of an infusion once Kenny/Ozzie finally realize that Thome is past his prime and that Uribe is just god awful (the Sox do need to find alternatives though so they can replace such players).

We are in first place.

There's no way Oz and/or KW will fire him during the season.

So we might as well quit moaning about Walker and wanting him canned.

Like many said ... you think Thome, Konerko, Crede, Swisher, A.J., Dye are going to listen to a hitting coach, any hitting coach?

I'd rather continue blasting the players when they suck than dredge up the fire Walker thread, because he's not going anywhere.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2008 -> 12:47 AM)
We are in first place.

There's no way Oz and/or KW will fire him during the season.

So we might as well quit moaning about Walker and wanting him canned.

Like many said ... you think Thome, Konerko, Crede, Swisher, A.J., Dye are going to listen to a hitting coach, any hitting coach?

I'd rather continue blasting the players when they suck than dredge up the fire Walker thread, because he's not going anywhere.

They might not reach out to be told what to do, but if you don't think that a new hitting coach might be able to give them a different viewpoint as to what they're doing wrong, then you're naive. Either that, or please sign Manny Alexander, and get our players on some PEDs.

The obvious question to me is if Walker must be fired, which I find ridiculous, who is the replacement? As was posted before me, someone from within the organization is the usual call for in season pink slips, but the organization as a whole is hitting .236. There has been hundreds of Walker must go posts, but not with a name of a replacement except for Harold Baines.