Send Frank to the All-Star Game!

Reddy

From Yahoo! Sports. I think it's a great idea. And you know how good we Sox fans are at mobilizing for All-Star Voting...

Here's a fact I've been having trouble getting my head around this morning: Frank Thomas, a future Hall of Famer and one of history's most feared hitters, has not been to an All-Star Game since 1997.

OK, so it's probably not the biggest surprise, given that the Big Hurt's once-prodigious numbers dropped a bit after that season and that his two biggest campaigns that came afterward (2000 and '06) occurred when the All-Star Game was in a National League city. There simply was no spot on the ballot for a designated hitter and first base always produces a number of qualified candidates.

Still, are we really going to let Thomas go the last decade of his 19-year career without one last All-Star moment? Are we really going to let the opportunity pass to put him in one last Midsummer Classic like we did with Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken in 2001?

"Heck no, we're not" is the answer to both question, which is why Big League Stew is officially launching a "Send the Big Hurt to the Big Apple" movement. Starting today and continuing for almost the next two months, head over to MLB.com and vote for Thomas early and often to be this year's DH for the American League squad at Yankee Stadium.

full link

Edited by Reddy

Wow, I am kinda surpirsed there isn't more support for the big fella. He's not my favorite guy in the world, but I would love to see Bud Selig make a commissioners choice spot on the roster for someone who is in the last year of their career (already announced their retirement) to give them one last All-Star appearence as a recognition of what they have done in the game. Granted Frank wouldn't fit this yet, but it is something that should happen IMO.

In 1973 Willie Mays made the All Star team. It was his last season. He was old and not productive. That was the first time, that I recall anyway, of a great player going to the All Star game in the twilight of his career when he really didn't deserve it based on his current stats. I didn't agree with it then, and I still don't. It's happened plenty of times since, especially with the fans voting but I just don't like it. The All Star game should be for current all stars, not for stars well past their prime.