Nick Swisher

jasonxctf

I wish a reporter would do an indepth piece on days off for players.

Let's say a DH takes a day off.

OK, does he still hit BP the full time? Still do all the other stuff? Get to park early, et. all?

That means all he does not do is take official hacks in his four plate appearances.

Is a day off beneficial to a DH? Or a first baseman??

I mean they still are doing very little physical activity.

I think days off are overrated.

Now a week off for Swisher might get his head out of his butt. Or play Anderson a full series and rest him a full series to see if BA can actually hit better than Mr. sub .200.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 8, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
I wish a reporter would do an indepth piece on days off for players.

Let's say a DH takes a day off.

OK, does he still hit BP the full time? Still do all the other stuff? Get to park early, et. all?

That means all he does not do is take official hacks in his four plate appearances.

Is a day off beneficial to a DH? Or a first baseman??

I mean they still are doing very little physical activity.

I think days off are overrated.

Now a week off for Swisher might get his head out of his butt. Or play Anderson a full series and rest him a full series to see if BA can actually hit better than Mr. sub .200.

A WEEK?!?! I don't think so. Swisher is guilty of only one thing...trying to do too much. I believe he wants so bad to pick up this team that he's pressing. They all need to relax, which a day off (or more blow-up dolls) hopefully would do.

Swishin' ain't easy. He needs to get back up to the top spot in the line-up and just try to get on base. The walk is a great prescription for a player in a slump. If he batted first, he could think, all I need to do is get on base with a walk ahead of these other .210 hitters. Batting him 7th, he feels like he needs to get at least a double for the .230, .190 and then the .210 hitters to drive him in.

QUOTE (heirdog @ May 9, 2008 -> 01:09 PM)
Swishin' ain't easy. He needs to get back up to the top spot in the line-up and just try to get on base. The walk is a great prescription for a player in a slump. If he batted first, he could think, all I need to do is get on base with a walk ahead of these other .210 hitters. Batting him 7th, he feels like he needs to get at least a double for the .230, .190 and then the .210 hitters to drive him in.

He lead off the first month of the season and was hitting like .215. He's just slumping.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 9, 2008 -> 10:12 AM)
He lead off the first month of the season and was hitting like .215. He's just slumping.

I hope so. Given that Giambi is a known 'roider, Tejada was named in the Mitchell Report, and that Mulder/Zito completely feel apart not long after leaving Oakland, one has to wonder if the "culture" there also artificially inflated Swisher's numbers somewhat. I still find it strange that Beane dealt Swisher and his relatively small contract to the Sox in return for some prospects that are far from "can't miss."

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 9, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
I hope so. Given that Giambi is a known 'roider, Tejada was named in the Mitchell Report, and that Mulder/Zito completely feel apart not long after leaving Oakland, one has to wonder if the "culture" there also artificially inflated Swisher's numbers somewhat. I still find it strange that Beane dealt Swisher and his relatively small contract to the Sox in return for some prospects that are far from "can't miss."

This has worried me as well. Nick really hasn't shown anything since he has been here.