West Virginia Primary Thread

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 13, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)
right. Affirmative action is extreme, but it's the closest simple explanation I could think of in 10 seconds.

I mean I'm not going to act like race plays no factor at all, of course it does. But it's mostly superficial and subconscious, and it certainly isn't out of a disdain for whites. To pretend it's not a direct result of past history in which every single presidential candidate has been a white male and there has never been a credible black candidate before, not even one, is oversimplification. And to jump to the conclusion that strong black support for a black candidate they like (as opposed to one they don't like, hell Michael Steele didn't win here in Maryland) is racism, I see that as both blissfully ignorant (it's easier to just say that than it is to actually think any deeper than what you see) and to be honest mind-numbingly offensive.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:08 PM)
I mean I'm not going to act like race plays no factor at all, of course it does. But it's mostly superficial and subconscious, and it certainly isn't out of a disdain for whites. To pretend it's not a direct result of past history in which every single presidential candidate has been a white male and there has never been a credible black candidate before, not even one, is oversimplification. And to jump to the conclusion that strong black support for a black candidate they like (as opposed to one they don't like, hell Michael Steele didn't win here in Maryland) is racism, I see that as both blissfully ignorant (it's easier to just say that than it is to actually think any deeper than what you see) and to be honest mind-numbingly offensive.

This is why I let other people make arguments. That is far better worded than I could have said, and I agree 100%

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
The black vote FAVORED Clinton before Iowa. She had over 60% of the black vote. So, obviously this isnt a "anti-white" movement. So, it's not a racist movement. It's something closer to affirmative action.. right or wrong.

That's my point exact. Racism doesn't have to be "anti" anything. Racism can also be when you exclude all others for your "pro".

QUOTE (mr_genius @ May 14, 2008 -> 02:13 AM)
It's not the greatest Presidential speech ever. not by a long shot. hillary lied to us, again.

Seriously, but I do like the guy on the bottom right of the screen. They must have searched many towns in order to find him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)
That's my point exact. Racism doesn't have to be "anti" anything. Racism can also be when you exclude all others for your "pro".

I respectfully disagree with your definition, but that is ok. If you want to work with that as your definition, then yes, it is racism.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2008 -> 09:11 PM)

Blacks aren't excluding... see the black vote (which votes as a pretty solid bloc most of the time) was split between Obama and Hillary before SC. Bill opened his mouth and that changed everything.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:16 PM)
Blacks aren't excluding... see the black vote (which votes as a pretty solid bloc most of the time) was split between Obama and Hillary before SC. Bill opened his mouth and that changed everything.

SC was a blessing and curse to Obama. It partially marginalized him as "the black candidate" to some Americans, but it galvanized the black community which has, with out a doubt, boosted him to where he is today.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 13, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
SC was a blessing and curse to Obama. It partially marginalized him as "the black candidate" to some Americans, but it galvanized the black community which has, with out a doubt, boosted him to where he is today.

Bill just like... kept talking. He was worse than Rev. Wright. "Obama played the race card on me in SC." lol, everybody of any race can see what he was doing there. It got to the point where it was funny. Like the old saying goes "it's better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
Bill just like... kept talking. He was worse than Rev. Wright. "Obama played the race card on me in SC." lol, everybody of any race can see what he was doing there.

I remember a well respected black politician from SC say that he wasnt "blatant" about what he said in some cases. but there was a "code" he used that people from that area knew, even if a white northerner like I didnt know it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
Like the old saying goes "it's better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

I always thought that quote was attributed to Lincoln.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:27 PM)
I remember a well respected black politician from SC say that he wasnt "blatant" about what he said in some cases. but there was a "code" he used that people from that area knew, even if a white northerner like I didnt know it.

I always thought that quote was attributed to Lincoln.

I thought it was like a Chinese proverb or something. :lol: I need to read more.

But yeah all the black people I know (which is a lot) who are politically active said they had no problems with Hillary at all, and a lot of them were thinking about voting for her until either SC or until it became obvious she was on her way down and started getting dirty to keep her campaign afloat, and lost a lot of respect for her. There are obviously blacks out there who vote for Obama because he's black but that's a small number nowhere near 90%, and the rest you can just chalk up to everyone around them being Obama supporters and jumping on the bandwagon.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 14, 2008 -> 09:16 AM)
Hey Reddy, Edwards got 7.33% of the vote in WV. not bad for someone who dropped out months ago.

i was just gonna effing post this. this is the real victory tonight. guess we could have won WV if he'd stayed in. lol