Gotta tip your hat to Minny

as much as I can't stand that team, their propensity to be a dagger to the Sox, and the wins they get from that trampoline of a park, you still have at some point to give them credit for being in the running year after year, even though the stars that come through their system eventually move to greener pastures. Santana gone....Hunter gone....Liriano out....no problem, just go ahead and take first place among one team picked to win the WS and two others with >$110M payrolls, take 2-3 maybe 3-4 from the 24-15 defending WS champs

maybe I'm a bit jealous, and at the same time amazed, among my annoyance at how many times they've ended our season on clutch small bal hitting and effective baserunning

Remember how everyone was saying how bad of a pick that Ben Reveere guy was last year by the Twins? Right now he is tearing the cover off the ball and looking like quite the prospect... God, I hate how the Twins actually have good scouting and plan long ahead of time.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 11, 2008 -> 10:20 PM)
Remember how everyone was saying how bad of a pick that Ben Reveere guy was last year by the Twins? Right now he is tearing the cover off the ball and looking like quite the prospect... God, I hate how the Twins actually have good scouting and plan long ahead of time.

I bet the Twins minor league coaching is pretty damn good too. People give way too much credit to merely scouting and not nearly enough to minor league coaching.

That being said, I'm not tipping anything to Minnesota yet. As far as I'm concerned, they're playing way over their head right now. Let's see how their pitching staff fares as the year progresses. They're pretty solid, but I wouldn't say they're anything real good yet.

Even with the 3 home runs tonight, the twins have only 20 on the year. They have given up something like 41 or 42. They are dead last in walks. They thing that has held them together is solid pitching (what else is new) but at some point Livan Hernandez is going to suck, and the loss of Neshek out of the bullpen are going to catch up

Im saying this as a Twins fan. Hey its nice to be on top. But I still only see 82-83 wins this year. Just not enough offense

Twins are what they are every year.

Home = 13-7

Road = 6-10

They are so good at home they basically guarantee themselves at least a decent year. Whether they will be any better than decent remains to be seen.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 12, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)
i have a feeling we're gonna see the return of the comedy central this year... will any of these teams have 90 wins?

I bet someone about a week ago that the winner of the ALC would have 90 wins... It was an interesting discussion. I have a feeling that one of these teams is going to emerge as we all play more games against each other.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
I bet someone about a week ago that the winner of the ALC would have 90 wins... It was an interesting discussion. I have a feeling that one of these teams is going to emerge as we all play more games against each other.

I agree. I'd almost go as far as to say that all 4 teams, and perhaps even all 5 teams, are one move away from turning it on and going on a run.

QUOTE (almagest @ May 14, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)
Brian Roberts: .264/.349/.405

I don't think that's going to ignite our offense, especially since guys who come here seem to slump for extended periods of time in our lineup.

compare that to the results of our own leadoff hitters. North was saying the other morning that Sox leadoff hitters are hitting .208 or something like that

QUOTE (almagest @ May 14, 2008 -> 09:09 AM)
Brian Roberts: .264/.349/.405

I don't think that's going to ignite our offense, especially since guys who come here seem to slump for extended periods of time in our lineup.

I'll disagree with the first statement. I think Roberts would get on base a ton, which would help either when guys hit homers or help relax the lineup. A guy on second base would take pressure off the middle of the lineup and allow them to concentrate on just going up the middle. I think the lineup is trying to do a bit too much right now.

Carlos Quentin disagrees with the second statement.