Two Reasons it is IMPOSSIBLE

stretchstretch

just back from the game, and am literally disgusted. In a tight game, it was clear by the 7th inning that this 0-0 contest was going to be a loss. Why? neither of these two are new concepts, but being there just makes them soooo much clearer to truly appreciate. For all this teams weaknesses, and there are many, there are two, that if ALL other problems were fixed, prevent this team, this year, or any other from being a serious contender.

Reason 1- Lack of opposite field hitting. my lord, the angels are simply masters of this, at one point they had 10 hits, and I'm about sure that 8 of them were punch shots by a right hander into shallow right field. Hits that if the sox could pull out at an opportune time could bring those miraculous 1 or two runs you need to win the close ones (runs which the angels scored by doing a exactly that)

Reason 2- and this has been discussed ad nauseum, and is paramount to the opposite field hitting being effective, but this team has to be THE SLOWEST in the history of the MLB, they are a complete non-threat to beat a double play, steal a base, or score from second on a line drive hit. How many times have we seen runners, other than Quentin, held at third the past two years? Watching PK, Jim, Crede, Uribe, Dye, and AJ lumber around bases is completely painful to watch in person, and from there the other players are simply avg. If one of the first 5 gets to first base they are only going to score on a triple, HR, or series of hits, but the majaority of times they'll be LOB because they are simply too slow to score on anything other than extra base hits by successive players.

We can talk about middle relief, what's happening with Buehrle, plate patience, bunting, and so on, but in the end, none of that matters, and this team is destined to mediocrity unless some speed and ability to hit to right field makes it's way to the team.....

out

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said. If there ends up being a firesale I'd love to see the Sox build a youthful and speedy team that plays the game the right way. Get guys that can hit to the opposite field. Get guys who can score from first on a double or from second on a frozen rope. Get guys who can hit slug bunts and lay down bunts correctly. Steal some bases, put on the hit and run. Guys that know how to run the bases and guys who while on D can handle a rundown properly. I'd like to see a team that hits 3-run triples and not a team that hits 3 solo HRs. The White Sox offenses of the 2000s need to be a thing of a past. I am sick of the team being a league leader in HRs hit yet being near the bottom of league in runs scored and batting avg. Situational hitting, not straight pull-swing for the fences- swing at the first pitch- crap that we have been subjected to for far too long. We all harp on Ozzie for his managing, especially in games. I feel like he isn't equipped to manage a team like this. A team of vets who don't listen to advice and play Swing for the Dan Ryan type baseball. He is the type of manager who would work well with young talent that plays fundamental baseball, classic National League type ball, or Ozzie Ball if you want to call it that. The team we have now, just cannot and will not play that ball, and it will haunt us as long as the core of the team is composed of slow and aging sluggers who are mainly good for solo shots.

For the longest time I wanted to retool the offense. I have no problem keeping Nick Swisher, Carlos Quentin, Jermaine Dye(DH), AJ Pieryznski, and would like to give Fields his shot. As for the rest(Konerko, Thome, Uribe, Cabrera, Crede) I want them far away from our offense. It would be nice if we couldy pry one of Kemp/Loney from LA and even though I have Pierznski on the keep list have no problem if we targeted Jeff Clement.

I know we lose a lot of power in Konerko, Thome, and even Crede but I think it would be for best. Id have no problem batting Quentin 3rd and Dye 4th to replace middle of order. Danny Richar could be the future at 2B but I dont know about that yet, I guess we will at the end of season assuming he comes back by June. Assuming Shelby keeps up his production gets a promotion and keeps up the hitting in Birmingham he could be an option next year as well... but thats kind of a reach.

But im prob over-reacting and nothing I just said was worth anyones time to read

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 14, 2008 -> 12:26 AM)
how, i wonder, did we score so many runs and have such a great year offensively in 2006, if this team has never had the ability to go opposite field or run bases properly, or get the timely hit.. hmm

Since the 2006 All-Star break this team hasn't done much offensively. So they had one good half of a season. Do you remember the years prior to the World Series when this was an all or nothing offense? We'd hit 4 HRs in a game, capped off by a Jose Valentin 3 run HR and score 15 runs and then the offense would be impotent for a week or longer. What were the results of the 2006 season by the way? Did we not finish 3rd in the division? Its not so much that going opposite field would solve all of our problems and nor would a speed injection on this team. Look at the Twins, they have what we all seem to desperately seek. Yet where are they? Sure they have more division titles and playoff appearances than us since 2000, but no rings to show for it. However it would be a refreshing and welcome change to see fundamental baseball played on the Southside. We can't rest on the laurels of 2005 or even our 2006 offense. Six of the nine guys who start consistently were here in 2006, and many of them had great years then and are terrible now. We had a great and awe inspiring offense in 2006 for the most part. But thats over and those guys seem to be shells of there former selves. I hope they prove me wrong.

The Sox trading Konerko or Thome right now is completely unrealistic. You won't find the power/production (whatever the hell you want to call it at this point in time) anywhere else while being able to attempt to compete at the same time. I also strongly doubt you can find a SS as good as Cabrera too. Crede's a touchy subject because currently, Fields is on the DL and he was playing pretty poorly in Charlotte too. I like Fields because I think he is the one prospect (if you want to call him a prospect after he hit 23 homers last year) that will have an impact on the future and because he just mashes lefties, but even as poorly as Crede is playing right now, I'm not sure Fields is a better option at all. The only position that leaves is 2B, where Uribe is, and I think the perfect target is Brian Roberts. What you'd have to give up is an entirely different story. It'd have to start with Richar and Broadway certainly, but Richar is more of a throw in piece currently simply because he's been injured, and while Broadway looks fantastic right now, that's obviously not enough. Add to it that Baltimore is actually better than the Sox right now, and it makes any idea of such a trade a bit harder.

At this point in time, I think all we can do is hope that the offense turns around atleast for a while, Baltimore goes down the s***ter really quickly, and that Richar recovers quickly. There is a ton of potential in this lineup, but it's severely untapped.

Another option is Ryan Freel, but I always get a bit sketched out when we talk about guys with friends in their heads.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 14, 2008 -> 02:55 AM)
The Sox trading Konerko or Thome right now is completely unrealistic. You won't find the power/production (whatever the hell you want to call it at this point in time) anywhere else while being able to attempt to compete at the same time. I also strongly doubt you can find a SS as good as Cabrera too. Crede's a touchy subject because currently, Fields is on the DL and he was playing pretty poorly in Charlotte too. I like Fields because I think he is the one prospect (if you want to call him a prospect after he hit 23 homers last year) that will have an impact on the future and because he just mashes lefties, but even as poorly as Crede is playing right now, I'm not sure Fields is a better option at all. The only position that leaves is 2B, where Uribe is, and I think the perfect target is Brian Roberts. What you'd have to give up is an entirely different story. It'd have to start with Richar and Broadway certainly, but Richar is more of a throw in piece currently simply because he's been injured, and while Broadway looks fantastic right now, that's obviously not enough. Add to it that Baltimore is actually better than the Sox right now, and it makes any idea of such a trade a bit harder.

At this point in time, I think all we can do is hope that the offense turns around atleast for a while, Baltimore goes down the s***ter really quickly, and that Richar recovers quickly. There is a ton of potential in this lineup, but it's severely untapped.

Another option is Ryan Freel, but I always get a bit sketched out when we talk about guys with friends in their heads.

i was thinking, wouldnt it be best to release thome? sure it would mean eating all the money hes owed this yr. but then we wont have to put up with him next yr. that saves u money. obvioulsy, it appears as if hes gunna get the plate appearances necessary to get that option next yr. or is this idea dumb and unrealistic? (i dont think the sox would release thome. hes just dreadful to watch)

is roberts a FA at the end of the year? (if he is, we should have money to pay him)

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 14, 2008 -> 01:26 AM)
how, i wonder, did we score so many runs and have such a great year offensively in 2006, if this team has never had the ability to go opposite field or run bases properly, or get the timely hit.. hmm

Thanks for chiming in, KW.

The team scored a boatload of runs in the first half of 2006, and went to sleep in the second half. And why does something that happened two seasons ago matter?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 14, 2008 -> 09:20 AM)
Lose one night, its the pitching, next night its the offense. Maybe you guys should blame it on the air quality or something that works both ways.

I will never blame this season on the pitching. To be fair, they have been f***ing lights out this year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 14, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
Lose one night, its the pitching, next night its the offense. Maybe you guys should blame it on the air quality or something that works both ways.

Lack of pitching is not the reason this team is a .500 squad at best right now. At all. Period. Anyone who says that at this point in time is simply overreacting.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ May 14, 2008 -> 08:35 AM)
We will never be able to put up offensive numbers like the speedy World Series Champs, the Boston Red Sox.

That there Papi guy can run the 10 yard dash in 24 hours flat.

I think the real problem for us is timely hitting and situational hitting. Maybe when it warms up in September we get to see some more base runners and pop at the right time.

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ May 14, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
im so sick of everyone b****ing... all it does is make it worse.

Saying its impossible for a team who is 2 games out in May to win a division is ridiculous.

Who said that? I didn't so include everyone else but not me please. I think we all know this team can compete, but we all want them to win 162 games and when that doesn't happen you need to vent or go buy a gun. That's all.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 14, 2008 -> 09:57 AM)
Who said that? I didn't so include everyone else but not me please. I think we all know this team can compete, but we all want them to win 162 games and when that doesn't happen you need to vent or go buy a gun. That's all.

I think he was referring to the thread title.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ May 14, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
i was thinking, wouldnt it be best to release thome? sure it would mean eating all the money hes owed this yr. but then we wont have to put up with him next yr. that saves u money. obvioulsy, it appears as if hes gunna get the plate appearances necessary to get that option next yr. or is this idea dumb and unrealistic? (i dont think the sox would release thome. hes just dreadful to watch)

is roberts a FA at the end of the year? (if he is, we should have money to pay him)

Release Thome? Seriously? I'll bet there are close to 20 other teams that would be willing to take a shot at him on the waiver wire, if nothing else. Hell look no further than Seattle for a team desparate for a player exactly like Thome. We could get players for him, if we really wanted rid of him as an organization.

Releasing Jim would be extreme. I would be fully willing to move him for one A to B+ prospect. I know Thome is struggling but he should still be worth that (the question is whether he would approve a deal).

I doubt the Sox could get a top 15 prospect but they should be able to get something quality for Jimmy. I say this because I want the Sox to make wholesale changes to the offense. I'm as negative about Jimmy as it gets and I think he's a terrible fit for the current Sox squad (because this team has enough sluggers already, imo, and he could probably garnish the most value out of there aging sluggers), but on the right team he could be a major addition (ie, Seattle could really use a legit guy like him to complete there lineup; Minnesota could use him as well (not that the Sox would trade within the division).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2008 -> 10:21 AM)
Release Thome? Seriously? I'll bet there are close to 20 other teams that would be willing to take a shot at him on the waiver wire, if nothing else. Hell look no further than Seattle for a team desparate for a player exactly like Thome. We could get players for him, if we really wanted rid of him as an organization.

ok so maybe releasing him isnt a good idea. i just dont want him back next year

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2008 -> 11:21 AM)

Well, the max teams interested would be 14, since he's strictly a DH at this point. We're one of those teams, so take us off the list. Of those teams, I'd say a good half are covered at DH if not more.

Really, it's not that many teams that would take a Jim Thome. I'm sure the Blue Jays would...

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
I'm as negative about Jimmy as it gets and I think he's a terrible fit for the current Sox squad (because this team has enough sluggers already,

that has always been my problem when we went out and got him after the WS in 05. We really didn't need another slugger, heck we just got rid of Carlos and Maggs a bit before, went out and got some speed and look what happened-WS Champs, then we turn around and get another slugger...seems like we don't learn.