Getting Buehrle back on track

heirdog

2 things that bode well for his next start on Saturday:

1) Facing the SF offense

2) Matched up with Barry Zito, who's been even worse than him this year...

The problem for Mark this year has been location and getting key outs when he's needed them. He will always give up a bunch of hits (save the no-hitter last year) but that young and somewhat anemic SF line-up should help his confidence in locating his cutter to both sides of the plate and not worrying about missing the perfect spot.

Similarly, maybe we can get a big lead off Zito and further give Buehrle the confidence that he doesn't need to make perfect pitches with a big cushion. I see the old typical Buehrle-esque start upcoming with a CG, 1 ER, 8 hits, 1 BB, and done in about 2 hrs 47 min (mostly due to the White Sox scoring 5).

QUOTE (heirdog @ May 15, 2008 -> 09:52 AM)

1) Facing the SF offense

The problem for Mark this year has been location and getting key outs when he's needed them. He will always give up a bunch of hits (save the no-hitter last year) but that young and somewhat anemic SF line-up should help his confidence in locating his cutter to both sides of the plate and not worrying about missing the perfect spot.

Similarly, maybe we can get a big lead off Zito and further give Buehrle the confidence that he doesn't need to make perfect pitches with a big cushion. I see the old typical Buehrle-esque start upcoming with a CG, 1 ER, 8 hits, 1 BB, and done in about 2 hrs 47 min (mostly due to the White Sox scoring 5).

For Buerhle, its not about his velocity. The velocity police are too worried about radar gun readings. Its more about location, and working righties in. When Buerhle is on his A game, he drives his cutter in on the hands of righties. When he has problems, he pitches away from contact and goes away all the time. If he keeps the ball down, and pounds the ball in he will be fine. I am not overly worried with Buerhle. In his games, he has been dinked a lot, and has had a lot of bad defense and poor run support. That has skewed his line a bit more than we give it credit for.

QUOTE (heirdog @ May 15, 2008 -> 09:52 AM)

1) Facing the SF offense

when they were going over the pitcing matchups and heard the Sox would be facing Zito it interested me to no end. That should be an interesting game since the Sox have a record of making soft tossing lefties look awesome no matter how bad they are or are going, but Zito has been horrible this year. I really think I may lose my mind if Zito "finds it" against the Sox. I don't even think the Hawk could put a positive spin on the Sox getting shut down by Zito

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 15, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
For Buerhle, its not about his velocity. The velocity police are too worried about radar gun readings. Its more about location, and working righties in. When Buerhle is on his A game, he drives his cutter in on the hands of righties. When he has problems, he pitches away from contact and goes away all the time. If he keeps the ball down, and pounds the ball in he will be fine. I am not overly worried with Buerhle. In his games, he has been dinked a lot, and has had a lot of bad defense and poor run support. That has skewed his line a bit more than we give it credit for.

Question....Doesn't Buehrle pretty much throw whatever AJ calls? He rarely shakes AJ off...so if they're going away away...who is that on? I can see if AJ is setting up inner half and Mark is missing outside....but he seems to throw where AJ is set up.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 15, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)
I think Buehrle will have a good game. I like his K rate. He needs to throw more first pitch strikes. If all else fails theres always HGH.

Or Jack Daniels :cheers

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 15, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)

I think a key to watch will be the shoulder angle. If he's too far down he'll get under the ball and will not get that good tight rotation on the pitches, especially the cutter or in some cases the slider.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ May 15, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
Question....Doesn't Buehrle pretty much throw whatever AJ calls? He rarely shakes AJ off...so if they're going away away...who is that on? I can see if AJ is setting up inner half and Mark is missing outside....but he seems to throw where AJ is set up.

The pitch calls are imprecise - pitch and maybe zone. But the more precise placement of the pitch - an inch into the zone, and inch out, etc. - rests on the pitcher.

And watching MB's last outing, he wasn't exactly nailing AJ's initial mitt placement. AJ had to move around a lot back there.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 15, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
when they were going over the pitcing matchups and heard the Sox would be facing Zito it interested me to no end. That should be an interesting game since the Sox have a record of making soft tossing lefties look awesome no matter how bad they are or are going, but Zito has been horrible this year. I really think I may lose my mind if Zito "finds it" against the Sox. I don't even think the Hawk could put a positive spin on the Sox getting shut down by Zito

The Sox help a lot of pitchers 'find it'.

Bob

Why don't people realize that a 5-6 mph difference between a pitcher's fastball and changeup is no good, especially if that pitcher has no out pitch? Location is a big part of Buehrle's game, but if you can't even get the hitters off balance by chaging speeds and such, only having perfect location is going to help you.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 15, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
Why don't people realize that a 5-6 mph difference between a pitcher's fastball and changeup is no good, especially if that pitcher has no out pitch? Location is a big part of Buehrle's game, but if you can't even get the hitters off balance by chaging speeds and such, only having perfect location is going to help you.

That's right. It doesn't matter if your fastball is 85 if your change is 75. The greater the difference the more effective the pitches are.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 15, 2008 -> 08:29 PM)
That's right. It doesn't matter if your fastball is 85 if your change is 75. The greater the difference the more effective the pitches are.

The difference in Johan's is like 20 mph which is completely ridiculous. Although it helps that he's a lefty who throws like 95 mph.