You are an athlete. Would you take performance enhanching drugs?

rangercal

Would you take performance enhanching drugs?( if you could get away with it.)  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take performance enhanching drugs?

• 100% No, Under all circumstances.
    • Yes
    • Only if it made a difference between a career in the Pros and the Minors.
    • Yes, If it were the difference between an average career and HOF career.
    • I would for a big payday.
    • Honestly, I really don't know.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ May 20, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
I'm not interested in dying at the age of 50 from kidney failure.

I wouldn't be opposed to, say, scuffing the ball, however.

Scuffing anything won't help with your shoulder... ;)

If I'm Barry Bonds, and a hall of famer without them, then HELL NO.

If I'm Brady Anderson, a journeyman who could make myself tens of millions of dollars and turn into a 50 home run hitter with them. If steroids, like in that senario, could help me go from a 500K player to a multi millionaire who can help support my family, I'd have to strongly consider it.

I've always said that guys who were fringe players that made it and made a lot of money due to PED's boost, I have a hard time blaming them. It's the guys like Bonds and Clemens who were rich and great AND STILL took PED's that I can't stand. No reason for it. But overall, I'm not sure because I'm not in that spot.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

The NFL surveys the players on a yearly basis about this very topic. Usually it has other conditions as well such as: would you use the PEDs if you knew they would take 10 years off your life.

The response is overwhelmingly that they would use the PEDs. The most common reason is: where else can I make this type of money for my family.

I have not worked in that area for awhile but I'm sure they still do it but the questions are different.

Where the temptation would be greatest for me would be in rehabbing from an injury. Take this for a couple weeks, cut the healing time in half, and stop in time to clear your system, hopefully, before you begin playing.

In Ball Four, Jim Bouton asks a similar question. I don't have the book in front of me, so I'll have to paraphrase.

"If you offered a pitcher a pill and told him it would guarantee him 20 wins, but it would take five years off his life, would he take it? Most would."

It's a tough dilemma for guys. The money's so big that I can't fault a lot of guys for doing what they did.