The 4 Things That Worry Me About John McCain

jasonxctf

Let me preface this with the fact that there is a 0% chance that I'd vote for McCain this November. However, I think he is a standup guy and would make a competent President. That being said, there are 4 things that worry me about a McCain Presidency.

1) His Party- How much pandering will he have to do to the far-right wing of the party, especially if this far-right wing helped to get him elected. (litmus tests for supreme court justices, energy policies, etc)

2) His Age- Let's be honest. He'd be the oldest President elected, ever. We've seen how the day-to-day grind of the Presidency has changed Clinton and GWB, they look old and tired. What happens if we elect someone who is already old and tired.

3) His Temper- He's been known to have a temper issue. This can be good and bad. How bad can it be??? Does his ego get in the way of sound decisions?

4) His Ties to GWB- McCain stood by GWB during the 2004 elections. He had a choice of staying out of the spotlight, or even supporting Kerry. He choose to get involved and stand behind GWB. Why did he do this, and what did he gain by doing so? Now McCain is trying to backtrack a bit on certain statements or policies, why now... and not then?

I keep saying I don't recognize this version of McCain anymore, that I used to like him and everything, but the more I think about that the more I don't think the pandering he's doing right now is going to affect his presidency. He has a very fine line to walk, he needs to get the GOP base fired up in spite of the fact that they don't like him, hence the pandering. At the same time he needs to appeal to the independents who he needs, or they won't get elected. However, if he's elected president, he can do whatever the hell he wants, and he doesn't need to pander to the far right.

At the same time I never really understood the necessity of pandering to the hard-core types, they are the type who would vote to keep a Democrat out of office, even if they have to vote for somebody they don't like.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 20, 2008 -> 12:02 PM)
What are you basing this on?

Are you seriously telling me you haven't seen Obama get testy with the media during this primary season? Whiny when asked questions he doesn't want to answer? Get frustrated with a reporter while eating waffles? "Why can't I just eat my waffle?" Threaten those who disparage his wife? Yelling at Hillary? http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCommentary.asp?...M20080123b.html

For at least this primary season, McCain has been a model of civility, even when a plant accuses him of calling his wife a c*nt.

And then there is always this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N75pIR5Pg3w

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 20, 2008 -> 08:15 PM)
^^What does this add to the discussion about John McCain?

Well...considering the very first post brings up the issus of temper in the candidates...it's just being shown that anyone running for Pres. could have a temper.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 20, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
I was merely pointing out that if anger is a concern, there is anger on both sides.

I honestly don't know how anyone could go through a campaign for President without getting angry at some point.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 20, 2008 -> 03:57 PM)
I was merely pointing out that if anger is a concern, there is anger on both sides.

The question wasn't specifically directed at you btw, just the general direction the conversation was about to go.

1) His Party- How much pandering will he have to do to the far-right wing of the party, especially if this far-right wing helped to get him elected. (litmus tests for supreme court justices, energy policies, etc)

The GOP brand is certainly damaged, and for good reason. I'm sure there will be a little bit of pandering to far right types by McCain, but not that much. One thing I have noticed is that when the Dems run a conservative Democrat in these elections, they do well. The Republicans have been making the mistake of trying to paint these conservative Democrats as Nancy Pelosi or Rev Wright types. Bad move, voters aren't falling for it. I also see the Dems are taking this approach with McCain, saying is exactly like GW Bush or a far right wing evangelical; this strategy could backfire as it is clearly a false comparison.

2) His Age- Let's be honest. He'd be the oldest President elected, ever. We've seen how the day-to-day grind of the Presidency has changed Clinton and GWB, they look old and tired. What happens if we elect someone who is already old and tired.

His age is certainly an issue.

3) His Temper- He's been known to have a temper issue. This can be good and bad. How bad can it be??? Does his ego get in the way of sound decisions?

I think this will be a non-factor, unless he has a total meltdown and starts yelling at Obama during a debate or something.

4) His Ties to GWB- McCain stood by GWB during the 2004 elections. He had a choice of staying out of the spotlight, or even supporting Kerry. He choose to get involved and stand behind GWB. Why did he do this, and what did he gain by doing so? Now McCain is trying to backtrack a bit on certain statements or policies, why now... and not then?

GW Bush is politically radioactive and should be avoided. McCain is a Republican, so of course he supported the GOP president in the election. He wasn't going to backstab the party and support John Kerry.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ May 20, 2008 -> 04:51 PM)
GW Bush is politically radioactive and should be avoided.

Trying not to derail the thread but trying to open up discussion...do people think that George W. Bush will allow himself to be avoided and pushed aside? And similarly, do people think that circumstances will allow that to happen?

To argue for those points, first, on the latter, the McCain camp has already realized it's going to have a major money disadvantage against Obama, and their plans slowly keep trickling out. One plan that has already come out is to use the RNC as a method of obtaining more funds from its biggest donors, since they can give more to the party committees than they can to a single candidate. And in the process, they're talking about using one of the Republicans best fundraising tools...George W. Bush. In 00, I don't recall Al Gore making heavy use of Bill Clinton as a fundraiser, am I wrong on that?

Secondly, and this is more of a personal call...is it your guys' impression that George W. Bush is the kind of guy who will step aside gracefully? This is the Decider. This is the guy who couldn't come up with a single mistake he'd made while in office. This is the guy who "uses his veto so that he can stay relevant". I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again, but I really, really don't see George taking on just a minor role at the convention or in politics this fall. I get the feeling that the RNC may well find itself having no choice but to go all out for Mr. 25% this fall, because that's what they've been doing the last 8 years. Does someone get an opposite feeling?

I don't really think it matters what Bush thinks right now.

Then again, if he wants a Republican in office for the next term, Bush should just come out and endorse Obama... then people will avoid him like the plague. :lolhitting:

I think GW Bush will be fine with stepping aside and taking a minor (if any) public role during the 2008 election. I see him being more of a fundraiser, less of the face of the party going into the election. I'm sure he'll have speaking engagements to raise money for McCain, but I wouldn't expect him to be the centerpiece of the RNC 2008 general election strategy.

If I had to make a prediction, it would be that GW gladly remains out of the spotlight for a while.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
Trying not to derail the thread but trying to open up discussion...do people think that George W. Bush will allow himself to be avoided and pushed aside? And similarly, do people think that circumstances will allow that to happen?

To argue for those points, first, on the latter, the McCain camp has already realized it's going to have a major money disadvantage against Obama, and their plans slowly keep trickling out. One plan that has already come out is to use the RNC as a method of obtaining more funds from its biggest donors, since they can give more to the party committees than they can to a single candidate. And in the process, they're talking about using one of the Republicans best fundraising tools...George W. Bush. In 00, I don't recall Al Gore making heavy use of Bill Clinton as a fundraiser, am I wrong on that?

Secondly, and this is more of a personal call...is it your guys' impression that George W. Bush is the kind of guy who will step aside gracefully? This is the Decider. This is the guy who couldn't come up with a single mistake he'd made while in office. This is the guy who "uses his veto so that he can stay relevant". I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again, but I really, really don't see George taking on just a minor role at the convention or in politics this fall. I get the feeling that the RNC may well find itself having no choice but to go all out for Mr. 25% this fall, because that's what they've been doing the last 8 years. Does someone get an opposite feeling?

Kinda like the Clintons have gracefully stepped aside from all of this? I get the impression that Bush doesn't care about politics anymore. I think he is burnt out. Hence why he will say whatever the hell he wants to. Besides what major role has he taken on in the campaign so far? He made one appearence with McCain after the nomination was clinched to give an endorsement. That's been it.

The biggest thing that worries me about John McCain is that he could lose to Barack Obama. That is my worst case scenario right now.

McCain's VP choice should be a big deal with his age. What happened to Ted Kennedy could just as easily happen to him. Would people feel comfortable if McCain chooses a guy like Huck or Romney - if they would have to finish a term or anything?

QUOTE (mr_genius @ May 20, 2008 -> 07:14 PM)
I think GW Bush will be fine with stepping aside and taking a minor (if any) public role during the 2008 election. I see him being more of a fundraiser, less of the face of the party going into the election. I'm sure he'll have speaking engagements to raise money for McCain, but I wouldn't expect him to be the centerpiece of the RNC 2008 general election strategy.

If I had to make a prediction, it would be that GW gladly remains out of the spotlight for a while.

Agree.

Probably more so than any election in the past 40 years, the VP picks will be crucial. The Dem candidate will need balance. (i.e. 60ish white guy) and McCain has to run with a "co-President" type. A poor choice here will doom their campaign, even worse than Bush the elder keeping DQ.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 21, 2008 -> 08:28 AM)
Probably more so than any election in the past 40 years, the VP picks will be crucial. The Dem candidate will need balance. (i.e. 60ish white guy) and McCain has to run with a "co-President" type. A poor choice here will doom their campaign, even worse than Bush the elder keeping DQ.

I find it quite interesting that your instinct was to care more about the race and age of an Obama VP choice than to care about the policies they advocate or their leadership skills or anything else.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2008 -> 03:41 PM)
I find it quite interesting that your instinct was to care more about the race and age of an Obama VP choice than to care about the policies they advocate or their leadership skills or anything else.

Obviously all the other stuff is important, but honestly that's reality. It would not be wise for Obama to pick, say, Deval Patrick as his VP. The VP is supposed to complement the president and contrast in some ways, and that includes race (as much as we might personally disagree with its relevance) and age (which loosely means experience).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)

I believe with McCain and Obama, the major issues will be pretty well defined. It's going to be intangibles. If a Dem wins, I will be very wrong on a statement I've made for two decades. I always felt the first minority or woman President would be from the GOP.