The 4 Things That Worry Me About John McCain

jasonxctf

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2008 -> 08:23 AM)
That would be a really interesting answer to both Barack Obama's race and McCains age. Not to mention that they couldn't throw the experience card at him because Obama is just a step above that level and running for President.

Certainly does those things. However, let's ask an honest but tough question here... how will a Punjabi and former Hindu go over with the religious conservative crowd?

ETA: For that matter, how would having a Punjabi as a VP effect foreign policy? Because that pretty much guarantees you some problems with Pakistan and other countries, potentially.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2008 -> 08:27 AM)
Certainly does those things. However, let's ask an honest but tough question here... how will a Punjabi and former Hindu go over with the religious conservative crowd?

ETA: For that matter, how would having a Punjabi as a VP effect foreign policy? Because that pretty much guarantees you some problems with Pakistan and other countries, potentially.

What has having all white males gotten us for the past 230 years? I don't really think it matters to be honest. Heck in Obama's case they are presenting his race and upbringing as an asset, I don't see how it would be any different in this case. I don't see a different world view as hurting us in foreign policy, because in reality, how many Christian nations are we in super tough negotiations with anyway?

The religious conservatives don't really like McCain anyway, but they hate Obama WAY worse. It becomes the lesser of two evils. If they stay home, they get an authentic liberal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2008 -> 08:36 AM)
What has having all white males gotten us for the past 230 years? I don't really think it matters to be honest. Heck in Obama's case they are presenting his race and upbringing as an asset, I don't see how it would be any different in this case. I don't see a different world view as hurting us in foreign policy, because in reality, how many Christian nations are we in super tough negotiations with anyway?

The religious conservatives don't really like McCain anyway, but they hate Obama WAY worse. It becomes the lesser of two evils. If they stay home, they get an authentic liberal.

To be clear, I could care less. I was more remarking on how others in the voting public would take it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2008 -> 08:27 AM)

The true conservatives will se what he has done down there already and take that as a positive. The true RELIGIOUS conservatives will not be happy with anyone that doesn't fit their narrow mold. As for foreign policy, it could be interesting. However, most negotiating goes on at levels below the Presidency, so it shouldn't come into play too often. Although State dinners could be interesting. I will add, though, that I don't think Jindal takes the job if offered.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 22, 2008 -> 09:29 AM)
The true conservatives will se what he has done down there already and take that as a positive. The true RELIGIOUS conservatives will not be happy with anyone that doesn't fit their narrow mold. As for foreign policy, it could be interesting. However, most negotiating goes on at levels below the Presidency, so it shouldn't come into play too often. Although State dinners could be interesting. I will add, though, that I don't think Jindal takes the job if offered.

Why not, in your view?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 22, 2008 -> 08:29 AM)

Why bother traveling to Sedona then?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2008 -> 08:37 AM)
Why not, in your view?

I think he feels a duty to the people that elected him. He has made great strides turning the state around in a short time and wants to walk that thru. A full successful term with those accomplishments (and more?) can propel him farther than possibly the veep spot, you never know. Just my thoughts. I do think he would be a good choice, and would not be upset if he accepted it.

QUOTE (Mplssoxfan @ May 22, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
Why bother traveling to Sedona then?

Politeness? Thanking John for considering him, making sure you stay on his, and others, lists for the future? Free food?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 22, 2008 -> 09:08 AM)
Politeness? Thanking John for considering him, making sure you stay on his, and others, lists for the future? Free food?

I have since read stories that state that the time at the ranch is more akin to having friends in for the long holiday weekend, so I withdraw my question. I've been to Sedona, and it's very nice. I'm certain the McCain's place there is very, very nice.