Bench Insurance

Cochise

After going nearly 48 hours without Sox baseball, I go a little stir crazy.

The Cubs picked up Edmonds recently as some insurance. I know its still May and we're (hopefully) starting to turn the corner offensively, but what would you like to see done to shore up this team and make a summertime push at running away with this division? Just kind of curious to hear what Soxtalk thinks this team needs.

For instance, I'd really like to see a lefty bat on the bench, a Ross Gload type. Not that I don't appreciate all the Pablo Ozuna has done for the Sox, but he just hasn't been the same since breaking his leg, maybe its time we cut our losses. In an ideal world Alexei will begin to adapt to big league pitching and improve his D a bit (seems like he kind of has since Uribe went down). Juan could be a decent bench player, and maybe even the competition for a starting role would improve his game a little. But I'd still like to see a solid left handed bat off the bench.

At the other end of this, who would you like to see the Sox pick up, if anyone at all? Who is even out there or possibly available? Unlike the Cubs getting Edmonds, there isn't anyone with potential out there that were cut from there teams. Its still is early in the season and lots of teams aren't willing to admit they don't have a shot. Either way, lets hear some ideas, lets play GM.

Right now I think White Sox management is in wait and see mode. Wait and see exactly what kind of team they have, i.e. will this offense finally wake up, will the pitching hold up, which way will the other teams in the division trend, etc.

My guess is they remain in this mode until about June 15th. Because the White Sox are in the thick of the race, they feel they can afford to be patient with some of these underachievers. Not that I necessarily agree, on some of them anyway. Guys like Ramirez, Uribe, Wasserman will get more time but not too much ... as I mentioned about another month.

As for additions, the Ray Durham conjecture in the other thread makes sense, at least on the surface. The Giants are playing him now and I am thinking they want to increase whatever trade value he has. Durham, if healthy, can help. However the hamstrings are a concern although he tends to play through minor injuries. Sox pro scouts will have to judge how much his defense has declined. As many here know, the White Sox are loving Uribe's defense at 2B.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 20, 2008 -> 04:17 PM)
Right now I think White Sox management is in wait and see mode. Wait and see exactly what kind of team they have, i.e. will this offense finally wake up, will the pitching hold up, which way will the other teams in the division trend, etc.

My guess is they remain in this mode until about June 15th. Because the White Sox are in the thick of the race, they feel they can afford to be patient with some of these underachievers. Not that I necessarily agree, on some of them anyway. Guys like Ramirez, Uribe, Wasserman will get more time but not too much ... as I mentioned about another month.

As for additions, the Ray Durham conjecture in the other thread makes sense, at least on the surface. The Giants are playing him now and I am thinking they want to increase whatever trade value he has. Durham, if healthy, can help. However the hamstrings are a concern although he tends to play through minor injuries. Sox pro scouts will have to judge how much his defense has declined. As many here know, the White Sox are loving Uribe's defense at 2B.

how about larry Dewain Weis vs Right .356 104 24 37 10 3 6 14 13 18 9 5 .442 .683 1.124

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 20, 2008 -> 04:26 PM)
If I had to pick someone who is an FA etc, it would be Kenny Lofton

Don't get me wrong, Lofton is a great player; a lefty with a .299 career avg who hit .296 last year. But is he really what this team needs? We have plenty of outfielders as it is. Some on this site have given up on Anderson, and some are all too ready to christen Jerry Owens as the speedy lefty outfielder to hit at the top of the order. Personally I'd like to see more of Owens at the big league level. There are pros and cons to both Owens and Lofton. As I said earlier, both are speedy lefty outfielders who can hit at the top of the order. Owens has yet to truly prove himself, but I'd like to think that he has the potential to be a solid contributor and everyday player. Lofton does have the resume working for him, but he will be 41 next week and maybe there is a reason why he is currently unemployed.

In my opinion, everything I said about Owens above, I would apply to Danny Richar as well. I am hopeful that he will adjust and I have faith that he will and become a productive everyday player. So far everything that everyone has said on this thread I have mostly agreed with. We're in wait and see mode, as we really don't know where we're at right now. The next 13 games will hopefully shed some more light on what this team is really made of. Before we spend more money on brining in someone from the outside, lets see what we've got in-house. I'd like to see Danny Richar called up. He played a solid 2B last season. His stats last season in 187 AB most closely resemble OC's this season in 14 fewer AB. The top line is Richar's 2007 stats and the bottom is Cabrera's for 2008 thus far:

G-----AB-----R------H----2B---3B--HR---RBI----BB----SO----SB----CS---AVG---OBP----SLG---OPS

56----187----30----43----9-----3----6-----15----16-----33-----1------3---.230----.289---.406---.696

43----173----27----39----4-----0----3-----11----14-----21-----5------1---.225----.284---.301---.585

Calling up Richar would mean we'd have to drop someone. With Alexei possibly heating up and adapting to big league pitching, maybe its time we cut our losses with Pablo. Though if Alexei continues to struggle, then I'd drop him to AAA in order to play regularly.

Thoughts?

Edited by NorthSideSox15

QUOTE (NorthSideSox15 @ May 20, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
Don't get me wrong, Lofton is a great player; a lefty with a .299 career avg who hit .296 last year. But is he really what this team needs? We have plenty of outfielders as it is. Some on this site have given up on Anderson, and some are all too ready to christen Jerry Owens as the speedy lefty outfielder to hit at the top of the order. Personally I'd like to see more of Owens at the big league level. There are pros and cons to both Owens and Lofton. As I said earlier, both are speedy lefty outfielders who can hit at the top of the order. Owens has yet to truly prove himself, but I'd like to think that he has the potential to be a solid contributor and everyday player. Lofton does have the resume working for him, but he will be 41 next week and maybe there is a reason why he is currently unemployed.

In my opinion, everything I said about Owens above, I would apply to Danny Richar as well. I am hopeful that he will adjust and I have faith that he will and become a productive everyday player. So far everything that everyone has said on this thread I have mostly agreed with. We're in wait and see mode, as we really don't know where we're at right now. The next 13 games will hopefully shed some more light on what this team is really made of. Before we spend more money on brining in someone from the outside, lets see what we've got in-house. I'd like to see Danny Richar called up. He played a solid 2B last season. His stats last season in 187 AB most closely resemble OC's this season in 14 fewer ABs:

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

Richar '07: 56 187 30 43 9 3 6 15 16 33 1 3 .230 .289 .406 .696

Cabrera '08: 43 173 27 39 4 0 3 11 14 21 5 1 .225 .284 .301 .585

Calling up Richar would mean we'd have to drop someone. With Alexei possibly heating up and adapting to big league pitching, maybe its time we cut our losses with Pablo. Though if Alexei continues to struggle, then I'd drop him to AAA in order to play regularly.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, a bench of Alexei, Danny, Anderson, and Hall might look better with the bats, it also leaves us without any reasonable backup at 3rd base, since Lexi and Danny are both SS/2b players. Maybe Lexi could play 3rd some, no idea, but Danny hasn't played it at all as far as I know. Sticking Uribe at 3rd winds up being your only play when Crede's back acts up.

If Danny comes back and performs well in his rehab stint, then I think he ought to be called up and you ought to treat it as a Uribe/Richar platoon with Alexei getting more AB's down at Charlotte. That works a fair amount better because it gives us another lefty bat against righties and makes our bench go from 4 righties to a 3 and 1 mix on an average day.

QUOTE (The Beast @ May 20, 2008 -> 11:45 PM)
Did the Sox even mention Richar being brought back up after he recovered from his injury, because right now, Alexei has looked good as of late, and Pablo is regaining form after last year's injury, too.

Not really. But it would be nice to have a lefty bat off the bench. However, as someone noted, if we drop Ozuna, we'd have no true backup at 3rd. Which I never thought of. Fortunately Ozuna has started to look his pre-injury form recently. Tonight was a perfect example of pointing out my foolishness in overlooking the gaping hole on the bench as a backup 3B if we lose Crede. He got tossed and Pablo stepped up and had an RBI single. I'll gladly eat crow.

SoxFanDude brought up a good point: could the Sox stand to lose a guy out of the pen and go with an 11 man pitching staff and a 5 man bench? No one has been too impressed with Wasserman and none of our pitchers in the minors seem major league ready just yet, except maybe Broadway, but lets let him develop a bit more maybe. That would open up a 5 man bench: a healthy Richar, Alexei/Juan (whoever sits and whoever steps up and starts), Ozuna, Anderson and Hall. I like that bench, especially if Richar comes out of the gate well. Seems pretty versatile with Alexei and Anderson able to play the outfield, Alexei (or Juan) and Pablo to fill in at 2B, Alexei (or Juan) able to play a real solid SS, and Pablo able to fill in at 3B.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 21, 2008 -> 02:38 AM)
How old is Durham now? Seems like he's been gone a long time.

Is he still a better than average player, offensively and defensively?

Durham is 36, he's been gone since the middle of the 2002 season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2008 -> 05:56 PM)
Unfortunately, a bench of Alexei, Danny, Anderson, and Hall might look better with the bats, it also leaves us without any reasonable backup at 3rd base, since Lexi and Danny are both SS/2b players. Maybe Lexi could play 3rd some, no idea, but Danny hasn't played it at all as far as I know. Sticking Uribe at 3rd winds up being your only play when Crede's back acts up.

I have to disagree with this. People seem to assume that Ozuna is bad at 3rd because he's bad in the OF and at SS. Except, its just not the case. Ozuna is a competent defensive 3B. Not a starter, but an average defender over there. We saw it in 2005, and we've seen it a few times since. Backup at 3B is, to me, one of the least concerns in terms of backups - Ozuna in the short term and Fields in the long term is a decent stack.

Of more concern is the lack of lefty bats on the bench, and Hall's shoulder. If Hall starts to have problems again, with Lucy injured, the catching situation is very thin. Philips would have to be the guy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 21, 2008 -> 08:36 AM)
I have to disagree with this. People seem to assume that Ozuna is bad at 3rd because he's bad in the OF and at SS. Except, its just not the case. Ozuna is a competent defensive 3B. Not a starter, but an average defender over there. We saw it in 2005, and we've seen it a few times since. Backup at 3B is, to me, one of the least concerns in terms of backups - Ozuna in the short term and Fields in the long term is a decent stack.

Of more concern is the lack of lefty bats on the bench, and Hall's shoulder. If Hall starts to have problems again, with Lucy injured, the catching situation is very thin. Philips would have to be the guy.

You're missing the point of my post...the suggestion given was that maybe we ought to keep Alexei up when Richar returns since he's now hitting, and that the odd man out would be Ozuna. That's why I started looking for 3b backups...if you drop Ozuna, you don't have one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2008 -> 09:58 AM)
You're missing the point of my post...the suggestion given was that maybe we ought to keep Alexei up when Richar returns since he's now hitting, and that the odd man out would be Ozuna. That's why I started looking for 3b backups...if you drop Ozuna, you don't have one.

oooooohhhhhhhh. Sorry.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2008 -> 09:58 AM)

What about Uribe?

This isn't really bench insurance.It's trade for a guy who starts but can be played at different positions in the infield. I would like to see the Sox make a run at Freddy Sanchez from Pittsburgh. He's playing 2B right now because of a sore shoulder lingering from surgery. When healthy,he can play 3B occasionally while Ramirez/ Richar can play 2B.Dr. Andrews said there is no structural damage to his shoulder and Sanchez says it's getting stronger every day. Sanchez is also leading off for Pitt so that's a role he could fill with the Sox as well. His value is probably at a low right now and Pitt is dropping out of the race. He's making 4+mill this year so they may look to move him. I don't know what the Bucs asking price would be but with Broadway lighting it up, maybe him and another top prospect may get it done. Plus,the Sox had pretty decent luck when trading for another guy coming off a repaired shoulder in CQ.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ May 21, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
This isn't really bench insurance.It's trade for a guy who starts but can be played at different positions in the infield. I would like to see the Sox make a run at Freddy Sanchez from Pittsburgh. He's playing 2B right now because of a sore shoulder lingering from surgery. When healthy,he can play 3B occasionally while Ramirez/ Richar can play 2B.Dr. Andrews said there is no structural damage to his shoulder and Sanchez says it's getting stronger every day. Sanchez is also leading off for Pitt so that's a role he could fill with the Sox as well. His value is probably at a low right now and Pitt is dropping out of the race. He's making 4+mill this year so they may look to move him. I don't know what the Bucs asking price would be but with Broadway lighting it up, maybe him and another top prospect may get it done. Plus,the Sox had pretty decent luck when trading for another guy coming off a repaired shoulder in CQ.

As far as I'm concerned, the only hole on the team right now is the bench. 2B can be upgraded, but it has a competent starter in Alexei, and every other position is filled with a solid player.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
As far as I'm concerned, the only hole on the team right now is the bench. 2B can be upgraded, but it has a competent starter in Alexei, and every other position is filled with a solid player.

I don't know if i'd call Alexei competent yet. He may well turn out to be but i would rather see him in more of a utility type role this year while he breaks into the big leagues. The way the Sox are playing now,they don't need anything but,when the streak is over, a guy like Sanchez can be the type of guy that can get them over the top. You'd be looking at an everyday lineup of:

2B-Sanchez

SS-Cabrera

LF-Quentin

RF-Dye

DH-Thome

1B-Konerko

C- AJ

3B-Crede

CF-Swisher

On the bench you have Ramirez,Anderson, Uribe,Hall

that's a pretty strong team on paper and there's really not a weak spot out there.

I really don't understand the obsession with Sanchez. If he's not hitting .300+, he's not really a good player. He's also the type of player where strikeouts play a big part in his success...if he's keeping the bat on the ball a ton, he'll be good. Otherwise, he could end up very mediocre.

I'd say wait it out a bit...let Ramirez hang out at 2B for a while and see if he can keep hitting. If not, find someone, be it Durham, Roberts, Sanchez, Freel, or whomever.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2008 -> 08:10 PM)
It would be nice to have a lefty middle infielder we can play once in a while against righties with huge splits, like Paul Byrd.

I just think it would be good to have a lefty bat on the bench, regardless of where he plays. Hell, I just want another bat on the bench.