Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rose should of had the double double, we missed 3 wide open shots at end. Nice debut for him and nice debut for Tyrus. Gordon/Hinrich also were very effective coming off the bench. Watching this game makes me wonder what we are going to do when Hughes is back, cycle Sefalosha out of the rotation is only thing I can see happening.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 10:13 PM)
Rose should of had the double double, we missed 3 wide open shots at end. Nice debut for him and nice debut for Tyrus. Gordon/Hinrich also were very effective coming off the bench. Watching this game makes me wonder what we are going to do when Hughes is back, cycle Sefalosha out of the rotation is only thing I can see happening.

Bingo! I was thinking the same thing about what to do when Larry is back, then realized Tabo will probably be odd man out. I think they planed to have Kirk and Ben come off the bench, and in effort to keep a consistent starting lineup, put Tabo in their until Larry is back. Hopefully everyone can get used to their roles.

Nice all around game, especially impressed with Tyrus.

That's pretty close to what I expect to be an average game from Derrick Rose this year, and I have no problem with that because I thought he looked good tonight. I actually liked the rotation tonight too (although when the time comes that the bigs have foul trouble, you'll see some Aaron Gray I'm sure). It's a shame they can't just make Larry Hughes go away. Hinrich looked good tonight, although he won't always shoot that well obviously, Ben seemed to enjoy the open looks Derrick helped him get, and game 1 of the Tyrus Thomas resurgence project was a success.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 10:20 PM)
Greg Oden looks absolutely terrible.

I was thinking the same thing. Wonder if his knee is bad or if the surgery ruined him. So slow and kind of out of shape.

Now he is not on the floor or bench to start the 2nd half.

That team looked far better than I expected. I liked the rotation Del Negro used with the guards and realistically the Bulls are going to have starting caliber guards on the court at all times. If they keep doing this they might have to consider doing something else with Larry Hughes. Tyrus Thomas was my player of the game though. I say that because he played so much better than he did last season. Still made a couple mistakes but offensively he looked much smoother and he just looked much more "aware" out on the court.

Overall I couldn't be more pleased with the first game. Gordon/Hinrich looked great off the bench, imo. I think Rose will help get Gordon a lot of good looks which should prevent Gordon from turning into a black hole on offense. Pretty excited for this season. I think playoffs are a possibility but also a bit of a reach but it should be fun seeing these guys play because they all play hard.

A team source has confirmed that Al Harrington, citing a poor relationship with coach Don Nelson, has officially asked the Warriors to trade him.

Nellie benched Harrington in a preaseason game against Lithuania and Harrington refused to reenter when Nelson asked him to go back in. This is disastrous news for Harrington owners, as the fact that the feud is public means Nellie might not feel like playing him. Harrington came into the season saying he was ready to make it work, but he appears to be at the end of his rope with Nellie. Wait and see what happens Wednesday before doing anything drastic.

Within hours of hearing that Al Harrington had demanded a trade from the Warriors, the Bulls were rumored to step in and start negotiating, according to a source.

As witnessed last night, the Bulls simply have too many guards, and they appear to be talking about shipping Kirk Hinrich to Don Nelson, which makes sense. While Hinrich would likely shine for the Warriors, and Harrington owners would love to see him moved soon, a trade to the Bulls would then make the front court crowded and likely stifle the development Tyrus Thomas. Stay tuned.

Unless its Larry Hughes that we send I wouldnt understand the move. Hinrich is the backup pg right now, something Gordon/Hughes arent able to do effectively and honestly Hinrich would contribute to this team more than Harrington. Preferably id like to deal Hughes and have Harrington off the bench for SF/PF. Lessens Nocioni's role on the team but Harrington is better.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 08:14 AM)
Unless its Larry Hughes that we send I wouldnt understand the move. Hinrich is the backup pg right now, something Gordon/Hughes arent able to do effectively and honestly Hinrich would contribute to this team more than Harrington. Preferably id like to deal Hughes and have Harrington off the bench for SF/PF. Lessens Nocioni's role on the team but Harrington is better.

Well, of course we'd love to deal Hughes, but the Warriors aren't going to be taking him!

I dont want Tyrus pushed back, his shot is coming around and the kid may be coming into his own this season.

Also, it was hard to watch Oden last night, he reminded me alot of Amare when he came back, slow, cant jump, no explosiveness. It sucks he has such a tough first month competition wise because he needs some time to get up to speed.

The Al Harrington news makes no sense at all. In my opinion, the Bulls need some dead eye spot up jump shooters (DRose is going to create a lot of open shots - we saw some of that last night) or a back to the basket scorer. Al Harrington fits neither of these roles. He's a career 45% shooter and shot 43% from the floor last year.

Realistically Harrington plays the exact same role that Deng and Noc play. The Bulls have the luxury of having a glut of guards that they can trade, but this seems to me like it would be making a deal for the sake of making a deal. I hope Pax passes on this one.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
The Al Harrington news makes no sense at all. In my opinion, the Bulls need some dead eye spot up jump shooters (DRose is going to create a lot of open shots - we saw some of that last night) or a back to the basket scorer. Al Harrington fits neither of these roles. He's a career 45% shooter and shot 43% from the floor last year.

Realistically Harrington plays the exact same role that Deng and Noc play. The Bulls have the luxury of having a glut of guards that they can trade, but this seems to me like it would be making a deal for the sake of making a deal. I hope Pax passes on this one.

I am not a huge fan of Harrington, but he's better than Noc and not as much of a lacky like Deng. He would stretch the floor with his 3 point shot. Yes, he isn't a true PF in my mind and people need to stop pegging him as one, but Harrington would work with a dynamic playmaker like Rose moreso than Deng. Heck, Noc works better with Noc over Deng simply because he can stretch the floor and is actually aggressive.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 07:13 AM)

The logic here would be pretty simple. Al Harrington has a 2010 expiring contract worth just under $10 million a season. If you can move either Preferably Hinrich or alternatively Nocioni in a deal for him, suddenly we're holding 2 different big 2010 expiring contracts worth $25 million or so, in addition to Gooden's this season worth $7 mil. Nocioni and Hinrich have deals that run a couple years longer. Move one of them for an expiring contract, and suddenly there's the space under the luxury tax to sign Gordon if that's how you want to spend the money...or alternatively you're $20 million or so under the salary cap after 2010 and you have the money available to make a max run at D-Wade.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)
The logic here would be pretty simple. Al Harrington has a 2010 expiring contract worth just under $10 million a season. If you can move either Preferably Hinrich or alternatively Nocioni in a deal for him, suddenly we're holding 2 different big 2010 expiring contracts worth $25 million or so, in addition to Gooden's this season worth $7 mil. Nocioni and Hinrich have deals that run a couple years longer. Move one of them for an expiring contract, and suddenly there's the space under the luxury tax to sign Gordon if that's how you want to spend the money...or alternatively you're $20 million or so under the salary cap after 2010 and you have the money available to make a max run at D-Wade.

Yeah there's the logic there.

And I think Wade would love to play next to Rose as well FWIW, so the Bulls would definitely have a good chance there.

Harrington and Wright for Noah and Hinrich I think would be an overall win for the Bulls in terms of talent also. You'd have to try and dump Nocioni on someone though.

I wonder if the Bulls offered Nocioni and Sefolosha for Hedo Turkoglu actually, if the Magic would do that. I don't think we're going to be able to sign Hedo long - term after his contract is up this season, and Sefolosha would give the Magic the size they sorely need in the backcourt.

But there are big rumors that Hedo's headed to either Portland or Europe come the off-season.