Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

Signing AI would be a bad move for anyone I'd say, if you expect him to be a bench player and not complain about it.

I'd say he'd only be happy as a Knick where he could throw up as many shots as he wants (if they do a sign and trade for Nate Robinson).

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)
Signing AI would be a bad move for anyone I'd say, if you expect him to be a bench player and not complain about it.

I'd say he'd only be happy as a Knick where he could throw up as many shots as he wants (if they do a sign and trade for Nate Robinson).

Thats why you tell him that, if he signs than he's obviously okay with being in that position. If your honest with him and frank and could sell him on a chance to compete for a title (not saying the Bulls could sell him on that, but someone probably could), than I see no reason why he wouldn't be willing to come off the bench. Plenty of stars in the twilight of there careers have made that adjustment for the shot at a ring.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
On a sidenote, if the Bulls lose Ben Gordon, I want them to sign Iverson to a contract and let him be a huge player off the bench. I don't know if AI would agree to that, but I'd be okay with it if he was. I really want Ben Gordon back and if the Bulls can find a way to bring him back while still being able to make a max offer at one of the big crop of Bosh/Amare/Wade/LBJ, than do it.

He JUST openly said he'd rather retire than come off the bench.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)
Thats why you tell him that, if he signs than he's obviously okay with being in that position. If your honest with him and frank and could sell him on a chance to compete for a title (not saying the Bulls could sell him on that, but someone probably could), than I see no reason why he wouldn't be willing to come off the bench. Plenty of stars in the twilight of there careers have made that adjustment for the shot at a ring.

Seriously, the Bulls are going to be the best chance for him to grab a ring if that's what he's after? I find that hard to believe.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
He JUST openly said he'd rather retire than come off the bench.

Well enough said than, LOL. I just want to find a way to get value for Deng cause he clearly doesn't fit in the Bulls current system. The problem is he doesn't have value. Hinrich is a better player than Deng right now, imo. Sad but true. It sucks too cause in the right system, Deng's a borderline all star, imo. Key word being borderline.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
Seriously, the Bulls are going to be the best chance for him to grab a ring if that's what he's after? I find that hard to believe.

I believe I said not that the Bulls could really offer him that, but Boston could.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
Well enough said than, LOL. I just want to find a way to get value for Deng cause he clearly doesn't fit in the Bulls current system. The problem is he doesn't have value. Hinrich is a better player than Deng right now, imo. Sad but true. It sucks too cause in the right system, Deng's a borderline all star, imo. Key word being borderline.

Trust me, I'd be fine if Luol Deng was given away for a box of rocks, but no one would give you a box of rocks for him. What a regressing POS.

Trust me, I'd be fine if Luol Deng was given away for a box of rocks, but no one would give you a box of rocks for him. What a regressing POS.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this. If Pax found a way to get rid of Deng and Hinrich in the off-season then I would never bad mouth him for a long time as GM.

Charlotte loses to Miami. Bulls now with a 2 game lead again. They better come out fighting against New Jersey. These past two games have been atrocious. Please come back John Salmons. The team just sucks without you.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
Orlando and Chicago are both nothing more than average, so it applies to both teams.

lolz

I remember how everyone was talkin s*** about Orlando at the beginning of the year. He rangercal, can you still name 16 teams that are better than Orlando?

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 12:50 AM)
lolz

I remember how everyone was talkin s*** about Orlando at the beginning of the year. He rangercal, can you still name 16 teams that are better than Orlando?

If you dig through the thread (and I think Dbaho would have my back on this one) I admitted I was wrong and Orlando was the real deal. That was probably back in December I admitted I was wrong.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 07:47 AM)
If you dig through the thread (and I think Dbaho would have my back on this one) I admitted I was wrong and Orlando was the real deal. That was probably back in December I admitted I was wrong.

I wasn't trying to pick on you directly there was just a ton of anti magic material and I thought this was the easiest to quote and bring up.

IIRC, they were like 2-3 to start the year and Zoom and a bunch of people were just goin on how they were average and not that great.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
WTF happened to Vince Carter? He looked like he was about 90 out there today.

he has always seemed(to me at least) the type of guy that mails it in when there is nothing at stake, and NJ has nothing going on and hasnt for a while.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
I wasn't trying to pick on you directly there was just a ton of anti magic material and I thought this was the easiest to quote and bring up.

IIRC, they were like 2-3 to start the year and Zoom and a bunch of people were just goin on how they were average and not that great.

Actually, I believe it came after they damn near blew like a 24 point lead to the Bulls back when they (as in the Bulls) were playing like absolute crap. I believe what I said was that outside of Dwight's dominance they rely way too much on the jumper, much like the Bulls, and that'd burn them when it matters, I'll stand by that especially now that Nelson's out (he was having an outstanding year).

http://www.thebrushback.com/Archives/derrick_full.htm

Derrick Rose Never Imagined NBA Could Be So Depressing

CHICAGO--When Bulls rookie Derrick Rose was a child, he dreamed of someday playing in the NBA and competing alongside the greatest basketball players in the world. That dream finally came true on June 26, 2008 when he was drafted with the number one pick by the Chicago Bulls. Since then, Rose has languished on a sub-.500 team coached by an ineffective rookie with no control over his players.

It’s been an eye-opening experience for Rose, who never imagined the NBA could be so depressing.

“Wow, talk about a rude awakening,” said Rose, following his team’s overtime loss to Minnesota on Sunday. “I always thought that life in the NBA would be exciting and glamorous, yet here I am, playing in an overtime game in front of a crowd of screaming fans and I’m thinking about what I’m going to watch on TV back at the hotel. And you know what? I’m going to watch NCIS. Even my taste in TV shows has gotten lame.”

Rose recalls how excited he was the day he was drafted and how quickly that excitement dissipated when he met his teammates.

“I was so excited when I came here to meet my teammates, but that didn’t last,” said Rose. “This is a depressing group of people. Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich, Tyrus Thomas – basketball isn’t even their favorite sport. And Deng….he’s a nice guy but everyone once in a while I catch him weeping at the free throw line, which just doesn’t look good. If there's one thing that coach Del Negro has tried to instill in us, it’s not to cry until after the game.”

Rose likes his new coach but doesn’t feel Del Negro is enthusiastic about his job. In fact, he believes Del Negro’s plight is similar to his own.

“Coach Del Negro is a smart guy who’s trying his best, but I believe his spirit has been crushed,” said Rose. “I think, like me, he came into this job as a rookie thinking it was going to be the greatest thing in the world, then he had the rug pulled out from under him. Lately during team meetings he just sits there with his hands over his face shaking his head, while the players sleep or read the paper. Far be it for me to criticize him, but I don’t think this hands-off approach is really working.”

Rose’s teammates say the sense of malaise is “normal” for rookies. In a few years, says Ben Gordon, the pain of unfulfilled expectations will be replaced by a more benign numbness and resignation.

“Derrick’s just experiencing a little reality check right now, that’s all,” said Gordon. “It’s good that he’s getting it over with early so he can eventually wrap himself in the soft, warm blanket of resignation. Ahhhh. It feels nice. You still get to collect a paycheck, but you don’t have to care.”

Gordon’s viewpoints aren’t shared by everybody in the league, however.

“Oh, man being in the NBA is awesome,” said Magic center Dwight Howard. “You get to play against the best players in the world every time you go out there. You get fame, money, chicks, everything. Of course, a lot of it depends on which team you’re on. If I was on the Bulls I might be pretty unhappy. Then again, if I was on the Bulls they’d be awesome, so I guess I’d be happy anywhere. Yay for me.”

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)

That was after we beat the Bulls by 2 points in a home game, in which we were pretty average indeed.

But I always had faith in us.

I also think we can beat Cleveland in a playoff series, Boston I'm not so sure about.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
Actually, I believe it came after they damn near blew like a 24 point lead to the Bulls back when they (as in the Bulls) were playing like absolute crap. I believe what I said was that outside of Dwight's dominance they rely way too much on the jumper, much like the Bulls, and that'd burn them when it matters, I'll stand by that especially now that Nelson's out (he was having an outstanding year).

If anything though, Rafer Alston's come in and guys like Lewis and Hedo are getting better looks at the basket than what we had with Nelson.

I agree that we need a backup PF and another wingman who can create his own shot though.

And Marcin Gortat could be a MLE offer in the off-season possibly.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 12:06 AM)
BTW I absolutely love Dwight's quote about the Bulls that lostfan posted.

Howard should really be getting some more MVP consideration BTW.

Just in case some people took it seriously, that article is satire. It wouldn't be the first time that happened. :D