Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 12:05 PM)
Andrew, if the Bulls want they can easily clear CAP room to offer two guys from the 2010 class max deals. Doesn't mean they'd get them, but they are in a great cap position. You move Deng or Hinrich and its an even better one.

Huh? They don't have THAT much space at the moment unless I'm reading your post wrong. Deng, Hinrich, Salmons, Gordon and Noah adds up to $34.8 mil. Add in Tyrus' qualifying offer or an extension for Gordon and you're over $40 mil, maybe approaching $45 mil. Even at the current cap of around $59 mil that leaves you at best enough for one max-type deal ($17-$18 mil depending on the exact math). Then factor in that the cap is supposed to go down, the two 1st rounders this year, plus cap holds for 2010 picks, and they probably don't even have enough for one as things currently stand.

They can VERY easily get enough space for one max deal if they do some combination of letting Gordon walk, out-righting Tyrus and trading Deng or Hinrich for expiring deals, but to make room for two max deals they basically have to gut the roster of everyone except Salmons and guys still on rookie deals.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
Huh? They don't have THAT much space at the moment unless I'm reading your post wrong. Deng, Hinrich, Salmons, Gordon and Noah adds up to $34.8 mil. Add in Tyrus' qualifying offer or an extension for Gordon and you're over $40 mil, maybe approaching $45 mil. Even at the current cap of around $59 mil that leaves you at best enough for one max-type deal ($17-$18 mil depending on the exact math). Then factor in that the cap is supposed to go down, the two 1st rounders this year, plus cap holds for 2010 picks, and they probably don't even have enough for one as things currently stand.

They can VERY easily get enough space for one max deal if they do some combination of letting Gordon walk, out-righting Tyrus and trading Deng or Hinrich for expiring deals, but to make room for two max deals they basically have to gut the roster of everyone except Salmons and guys still on rookie deals.

Thank you. J confused the hell out of me. I wasn't sure if I was the only one that didn't understand how on earth could we clear enough cap space for two max deals. So I just stayed quiet, as I'm really not up to speed with contracts, ect.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)

I said if they wanted to clear payroll, ie trade one of Deng/Hinrich, they could easily be able to afford two guys. Without moving them, they still are in a position where they can easily offer one max deal. Andrew made it look as if it would take a lot of finagling to be able to offer just one max deal, when in fact, all it takes is one trade for an expiring contract and we could make a play at 2 max offers.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
Thank you. J confused the hell out of me. I wasn't sure if I was the only one that didn't understand how on earth could we clear enough cap space for two max deals. So I just stayed quiet, as I'm really not up to speed with contracts, ect.

Nah, maybe my post was confusing but it made sense in my head, especially in response to Andrew's post.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 01:47 AM)
What I want to know is...did he come up with that since the Magic beat him or did he also go off the court without congratulating his opponents since he's been a pro.Did he do that to the Spurs when they beat him in the Finals?
He did congratulate the Spurs. Apparently, he did not congratulate the Celtics last year.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
If Kobe did the same it would be magnified. Hell when Shaq and Kobe wouldn't shake hands it was magnified. When the Pistons didn't shake the Bulls hands after they got swept, it was a big deal. So no, it's not just LeBron.

True. And it's not even just basketball. Remember all the burn those Belicheck/Mangini handshakes got?

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
It takes a real man to be able to congratulate someone when they beat you in competition. If you want to be congratulated when you win, you should be big enough to congratulate the other guy when you lose.

That's sportsmanship and a part of growing up.

+1. Well said.

The Magic are again talking about Jameer Nelson coming back, this after saying he was done til next year. He did play great in both games against the Lakers, and is that speedy point that can abuse Derek Fisher in the pick and roll ala Aaron Brooks. But how effective can he really be after 4 months off? Couldn't it throw off their rhythm? It could energize their home crowd if they play it like a Willis Reed/Paul Pierce moment. It's a dangerous move, though.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 11:01 PM)
He said biggest name in sports

Golf is not a sport, its an activity

an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition

Active...golf...perhaps.

physical exertion...golf...there is a lot of skill and exerting of power in swinging the club.

competition...golf...yes.

I'd say it's on the line along with things like archery, horseback riding, fishing, auto racing.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
Lebron is still the most awesome player to lace up a pair of sneakers since the other #23. Lebron is also the biggest name in sports right now.

Umm,actually LeBron is the "other" 23...he took his number after MJ,not the other way around.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 04:10 AM)
Umm,actually LeBron is the "other" 23...he took his number after MJ,not the other way around.

I can agree with that. My mistake. :P

I won't agree with comparing Golf to one of the major sports.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 08:45 AM)
I won't agree with comparing Golf to one of the major sports.

As the word "sport" is defined in the dictionary.

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Golf is most definately a sport, and one of the more difficult ones at that.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
As the word "sport" is defined in the dictionary.

Golf is most definately a sport, and one of the more difficult ones at that.

ESPN also airs the Spelling Bee, you know.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 08:57 AM)
ESPN also airs the Spelling Bee, you know.

Where did I say anything about ESPN? Do you even play golf? If you actually read what you quoted you could see its something that involves athletic skill or physical prowess.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
Where did I say anything about ESPN? Do you even play golf? If you actually read what you quoted you could see its something that involves athletic skill or physical prowess.

I play Golf a lot, I also bowl, but I recognize the difference between those activities and running a full-court basketball game.

If more amateurs played without a cart and more pros played without a caddy, I may take it a little more serious.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 09:33 AM)
I play Golf a lot, I also bowl, but I recognize the difference between those activities and running a full-court basketball game.

If more amateurs played without a cart and more pros played without a caddy, I may take it a little more serious.

How about playing 72 holes of golf vs playing a few games as a DH? Golf is a physical skill sport based on muscle memory, consistency, aim, endurance, and huge freaking balls. Shooting a basketball in a hoop is much easier for more people than playing a round of par at a golf course, regardless of how much you sweat.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
How about playing 72 holes of golf vs playing a few games as a DH? Golf is a physical skill sport based on muscle memory, consistency, aim, endurance, and huge freaking balls. Shooting a basketball in a hoop is much easier for more people than playing a round of par at a golf course, regardless of how much you sweat.

DHs still do all the same training and spend a lot of time doing BP. It's not like they sit on their ass and all they do is have 4-5 ABs a game.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
DHs still do all the same training and spend a lot of time doing BP. It's not like they sit on their ass and all they do is have 4-5 ABs a game.

So professional golfers just sit on their ass between tournaments?