Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 07:00 PM)
It was ownership. Apparently, Dan Gilbert is paying the luxury tax all out of his pocket as the other investor's have been having problems. So even though they're selling out, Gilbert was losing money fast. He didn't want to add another year at more money for a declining Shaq when it is not known if he and others will have to sell their stake on the team.

BTW, Brown is a horrible coach. Kind of like Sam Mitchell.

Wouldn't have had to be Shaq.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it funny that most people in this thread were rooting against CLE-LA finals, yet no one seems to be watching the Finals,at least that's what I interpret from the low activity in this thread since the Finals started. I question fans like that. Are you really a basketball fan? You root against a dream match up, but where are you when it does not happen? Where is everyone? Because I guarantee there would be floods of posts if it were LA-CLE. Personally, I root against STALE match ups (SA-Det, SA-NJ) .

BTW, I am still watching. Go Magic

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 07:35 PM)
I find it funny that most people in this thread were rooting against CLE-LA finals, yet no one seems to be watching the Finals,at least that's what I interpret from the low activity in this thread since the Finals started. I question fans like that. Are you really a basketball fan? You root against a dream match up, but where are you when it does not happen? Where is everyone? Because I guarantee there would be floods of posts if it were LA-CLE. Personally, I root against STALE match ups (SA-Det, SA-NJ) .

BTW, I am still watching. Go Magic

I haven't "Watched" a game on a weeknight the entire playoffs. Forgive me, I'm still at work. I do have the NBA audio league pass.

I'll eat my shorts if the Lakers don't go 3-1...Magic can't hang with LA.

^^^^^^^^^^^ But chill out Bart Simpson. :D

I told T r u this a few days ago on AIM that the series was over cause Phil's (LAL) record is like 42-0 when he/the team wins the first game of a playoff game. T r u's response.. "Well f*** the Lakers!" :P

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)
I haven't "Watched" a game on a weeknight the entire playoffs. Forgive me, I'm still at work. I do have the NBA audio league pass.

You know what I mean. This thread is a ghost town. Why would you root against a dream match up if you are a true NBA fan?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 09:40 PM)

What the hell do you got against San Antonio?Obviously you don't like defensive basketball?

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
You know what I mean. This thread is a ghost town. Why would you root against a dream match up if you are a true NBA fan?

Because I'm not at home to watch it, duh. I'd rather have a crappy matchup this year and an excellent matchup next year when I'm not trying to slam out the last elements of a Ph.D. thesis.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
What the hell do you got against San Antonio?Obviously you don't like defensive basketball?

I love watching the Spurs. If winning 4 championships in the last 10 years is boring, then oh well.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 11:24 PM)
If Dwight Howard makes 1 of those 2 FT's when we're up by 5, it's 2-2.

So damn disheartened right now.

I know he won't do it, but if I'm Stan Van Gundy, I'm throwing Dwight's ass under the bus just as he did to him earlier in the playoffs. Tonight was a perfect example of why any coach would be hesitate to consistently feed Dwight down-low at the end of a close game. One, he's not an ISO player, ala Tim Duncan or Hakeem Olajuwon. Hell, his offensive game isn't anywhere close to being as advanced as Shaq's. And obviously he's a bad FT shooter. And don't let Gonzo aka Hedo off the hook.

To be fair, Dwight's shooting at the line in the playoffs has been pretty good, around 70%.

Tonight he just choked and there's no excuse for that.

And yeah Hedo missed about 4 FT's, but he was by far our best offensive player tonight.

If I'm blaming someone, it's Rashard Lewis. Only had 6 points, and he's got to do a LOT better than that.

But Dwight's post game is still very, very raw. He needs to learn not to dribble down low, and go left more and spin baseline and use that left hand more instead of always wanting to go to the middle and shooting that hook shot.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 12:15 AM)
The reason Orlando can't beat LA is because Kobe has a supporting cast who can play unlike Cleveland which is James and a bunch of stiffs

Orlando is a missed layup and a missed FT from being up 3-1.

Orlando blew it. They've definitely been right there with LA.

Dwight deserves blame for the FTs, as does Hedo. Rashard disappeared, and what the hell was SVG thinking benching Alston for so long. Jameer failed to close out on D-Fish which lead to OT.

Look, I get that Jameer was the starter during the season, had an All-Star first half. But the guy does not have his game legs, and has had untimely TOs trying to force the issue and poor rotations defensively. Alston played a key role in them winning Game 3, and in you getting to the Finals. Yet with the game in the balance, he can't get in. I just can't understand it.

Oh well, Orlando blew their chances. Maybe they get it to 6, just off of pride, not wanting to lose their last home game and see LA celebrate on their floor. But the Lakers are winning this series.

Edited by Ron

Maybe it is the spoiled basketball fan in me, watching greats like MJ,Reggie,Barkley,Malone,Stockton etc, but damn, Superstars NEED to hit their free throws. I can't even recall shaq missing 2 clutch free throws in such a crucial moment.

NBA Stock Market

NBA Legends

Phil Jackson +25%

Kobe Bryant +20%

Superstars

.Dwight Howard -25%

Semistars

.Rashard Lewis -10%

.Hedo -10%

Dwight NEEDS to hit clutch shots for anyone to take him seriously as a superstar.

The officiating in the 4th quarter last night was absolutely pathetic. The Lakers have been the beneficiaries of many a referee aided victory over the years which is why nobody is probably mentioning it (L.A. probably deserves a few screw jobs for that), but free throw attempts were 17 to 0 Orlando in the 4th quarter last night and there were several calls and missed calls that were laughable. If the NBA really wants to distance itself from the Donaghy scandal, they need to stop with the shady officiating that at best is a sign the league needs new refs, and at worst is a sign the NBA is only one step above the WWE. I don't even like the Lakers (at all), but last night was simply horrible.

With that said, I am stunned the Magic blew it. They had the game handed to them on a silver platter with LA's poor first half shooting and the refs performance in the 4th quarter, yet missed all those free throws and had all those turnovers to blow it. And what Dwight Howard did last night (especially at the end of regulation) was another example of why Shaq has never won a title without a dominant wing player by his side and why Wilt Chamberlain only won 2 rings as great and transcendent as he was. It's hard to take the trophy if you can't make free throws.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I just think Kobe wants it more,you could see it in his face and that rubs off on his teamates,Gasol,Odom and especially Riza have stepped it up...Fisher showed us last night why Jackson still believes in him.

Kobe hasn't had to take this series over because his supporting cast have played well,they are tough to beat when that happens.

The Bulls as an organization suck,and I'm a Bulls fan,the way the ran out Jackson after their 6th ring was disgraceful,Krause is an idiot,we should've fired that fat ass and kept Phil,he's a hell of a coach.

If Reinsdorf really cared about winning,he would've kept him in Chicago,gone after a top tier FA(Garnett) and build a team around him,there would be a line at the door of top players wanting to play for Jackson since he's a well regarded coach and a winner,that's the difference between Reinsdorf and Dr Buss,the Lakers' boss wants to win and doesn't mind paying for it.

Congrats to Kobe and the Lakers,we could only dream of having a basketball organization in Chicago that really wants to win and puts up the cash for it.