Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
Allen is hitting wide open 3s, that's not being hot. Not worried about him.

Two days ago it was no big deal. Now we know that the sleeping giant was awoken

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
Two days ago it was no big deal. Now we know that the sleeping giant was awoken

Yes, but at this point the Bulls will have to blow it more than the Celts making plays.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
Yes, but at this point the Bulls will have to blow it more than the Celts making plays.

I dont mean any ill will bringing this post out. When you posted it, I looked at it and agreed with it, then an hour and a half later Allen hit the 3 pointer to win the game. And I thought about it for the past two games and decided to bring it up right now because now I am looking at it thinking "man, I wish we wouldnt have let Allen go off like he did".

Allen's resurgence has been a big key in what the Celtics have been able to do

If nothing else...we got them to 6 games. That was one of my goals. We're not being shown up or embarrassed. Well, except for our coaching.

And 3 down to the last second/1/2 OT games...well, at least it's decent experience for the youngin's.

i will preface this by saying that I am a fan of the SportsbyBrooks blog, but I wanted to share this outside view of the Bulls vs Celtics series up til this point

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/bulls-and-ce...ve-sports-23534

Bulls And Celtics Remind Us Why We Love Sports

Even notwithstanding the Game 3 blowout from Thursday, the Celtics-Bulls series was the odds-on favorite to be the best first round playoff matchup of the 2009 NBA Playoffs. Let’s go ahead and push that to “mortal lock” status, because Game 4, taken by the Bulls, 121-118 in double overtime, was yet another absolute masterpiece.

In terms of the specifics, the heroes were Derrick Rose, who was one dime away from a triple double (23, 11, and 9), and Ray Allen, who hit 5 clutch threes en route to 28 points. But numbers are just, well, numbers, while the drama of the game created the type of theater that reminded fans why we spend so much time watching sports in the first place.

The shifts of power. This can happen on a micro or macro level; in this series, both apply. In Game 4 alone, there were 28 lead changes, 26 of which came in regulation. The end of the game was in doubt all the way until Paul Pierce’s game-tying 3-pointer was blocked as time ran out. There were dramatic threes that forced each of the overtimes, one by Allen at the end of regulation, the other by Ben Gordon at the end of the first OT.

On the macro level, though, there is a symbolic shift here; not only do we see momentum shift from Boston to Chicago as next year’s top challenger to Cleveland’s throne in the East (we can safely assume, of course, that the world belongs to Lebron for the foreseeable future), but the case can be made that the best player on the Celtics isn’t one of the Big 3, but Rajon Rondo, who has been brilliant - on both offense and defense - in all four games as he battles Rose, essentially to a draw.

Supreme displays of athleticism. There is a sheer, unique joy that comes from watching athletes perform at their highest levels, executing under the duress of defense and time. To that end, we have been treated to a pair of assassins, Allen and Gordon, trading clutch shots to save their teams. There were the aforementioned threes that each prolonged play today, but their duel in Game 2 was almost magical (Overstatement? Not if you’d watched it). Esteemed blogger J.E. Skeets of BALL DON’T LIE said he stood up and applauded his television when the game ended. We don’t doubt his sincerity, though we opted for copious amounts of yelling. Speaking of which…

Kevin Garnett screaming Mother F-Bombs from the bench. This, too, is terrifically enjoyable.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
If nothing else...we got them to 6 games. That was one of my goals. We're not being shown up or embarrassed. Well, except for our coaching.

And 3 down to the last second/1/2 OT games...well, at least it's decent experience for the youngin's.

You're easy to please. The Celtics would already be preparing for Philly/Orlando if their entire front-court didn't, like, die.