Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 1, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
Best playoff series of all time? Ranks up there. But not #1 because it is the first round.

Best first round series of all time? This just leapfrogged Sea-Den and GSW-Dal in my book. So I would say yes.

It'd be a toss up with #8 New York topping #1 Miami a few years ago, but that was only when the first around was 5 games, so I would go with this series as the best one I can remember.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 1, 2009 -> 08:41 AM)
Best playoff series of all time? Ranks up there. But not #1 because it is the first round.

Best first round series of all time? This just leapfrogged Sea-Den and GSW-Dal in my book. So I would say yes.

Outside of the 1st round, what series can you name that have been better?

The Reggie Miller vs. NY series is the only one that comes to my mind as challenging it in the last 15 years.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 1, 2009 -> 06:55 AM)
I could not get over how bad of a coach VDN is. The inbouds plays had no creativity at all.

I am not a huge NBA fan but you can inbounds the ball into the backcourt can't you?

The Bulls are a better team than the Celtics right now. It would be a shame for them to lose. Rondo is a nice player that is being made into a legend becasue nobody is doing anythign about it. Somebody needs to challenge him at least a little.

A couple things about those 2 inbounds plays the Bulls ran...the first one, Gordon isolated on Pierce. it's probably going to work 15% of the time. That 15% it'll look great. The other 85% it's going to look exactly like that did.

The 2nd one...Ok, I can understand putting the ball in Miller's hands to start the play or during the play, but why would you put the ball in Miller's hands out by midcourt when you're not setting up anything with him? A give and go, where Rose passes in to Miller and Miller immediately gives the ball up to someone who's driving to the open-lane because Davis followed Miller, that might have worked. Giving someone else the ball and trying to get the ball to Miller downlow, sure, could certainly work and has given Boston matchup problems already. But giving Miller the ball with no screen, no clear immediate guy to pass to, and so far away from the basket that even Gordon wouldn't have taken the shot? That's just remarkably silly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)

The Reggie Miller vs. NY series is the only one that comes to my mind as challenging it in the last 15 years.

It's not so much that the games were better, it's because more chips were at stake in later rounds. If you are looking at best series without looking at the rounds, then this series is the best, imo.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 1, 2009 -> 07:49 AM)
One thing I'd lie to say, the Bulls aren't that bad of a defensive team. They're actually pretty decent. What they are terrible at is rebounding. They are godawful. Like worse in the league. If it wasn't for all those second chance points they allow, guys like Big Baby and Kendrick Perkins would look like their normal average selves.

Thing is, the stats really don't agree with you. The Bulls were a middle-of-the pack team this year in rebounding. They'd have their good days and they'd have their really bad days. And I'd be willing to bet they got significantly better as the season when on and Noah got in to shape and Vinny Del Coacho suddenly couldn't use his small lineup because Gooden was hurt or traded.

What the stats do say though is that Boston was the 2nd most effective team in the league at rebounding this year in terms of %age of rebounds available. They're not the same team right now, obviously, without KG and Powe, but let's give credit where credit is due. The Celtics are an excellently coached team. They are always in good rebounding position. The Bulls are a horribly coached team, and they rely on athleticism to make up for it, and they do a decent but not spectacular job of it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)

That was a good one, but the best I seen was the 91-92 playoffs Bulls Vs Knicks, being at those games was something I cant explain, the crowd was much louder than what we have now. I have been to the last 2 playoff games this year and they are some of the top ones I have ever attended or seen. Last night was just ridiculous to witness in person. I was watching Marburry waving his hands hysterically at Pierce not to foul Noah. Still the crowd does not come close to the 90-91 and 91-92 playoff games I attended. Oh yeah, I didn't hear to many expletives from Garnett Last night, he seemed mellow.

Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ May 1, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
That was a good one, but the best I seen was the 91-92 playoffs Bulls Vs Knicks, being at those games was something I cant explain, the crowd was much louder than what we have now. I have been to the last 2 playoff games this year and they are some of the top ones I have ever attended or seen. Last night was just ridiculous to witness in person. I was watching Marburry waving his hands hysterically at Pierce not to foul Noah. Still the crowd does not come close to the 90-91 and 91-92 playoff games I attended. Oh yeah, I didn't hear to many expletives from Garnett Last night, he seemed mellow.

The Chicago Stadium was a completely different animal. It was electric when that crowd roared,especially during the pregame introductions. I remember not being able to hear my own voice when the crowd cheered at that place.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 1, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)

Chills, Dude. I get chills. If we win this series, this will be right up their with the Scotty Pod's Walkoff in game 2, in terms of the pure emotional impact i can get through a simple video.

I would have to say one of the most exciting series that i ever watched was the Bulls vs Knicks series when Jon Starks jumped up off the bench and tripped Pippen, I think it was the year that Jordan retired. Also the Bulls Knicks series when Jordan and Xavier went head to head at center court, that was awesome as well.

This series is pretty great, there are no doubts, but I wont put it over some of those Jordan moments.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 1, 2009 -> 08:22 AM)
Disagreed. Salmons isn't young and if he keeps playing like he did before getting injured, we're going to let him go or waste a lot of cap space on him. Deng still sucks until further notice, Tyrus is still Tyrus and Derrick, minus one play is allergic to defense. We are a lot farther away than what people think.

Some commentary on Rose's D last night:

This kid, this rookie, had one of the quietest big games I have ever seen. At times, Derrick seemed almost invisible, which is bizarre considering he ended up with 28 points (12-for-25), 8 rebounds and 7 assists. But his biggest contribution of the game — and I almost can’t believe I’m saying this — was on the defensive end. Rose finally figured out how to stay in front of Rajon Rondo, who struggled to score all night and went (as I mentioned above) 4-for-17 from the field. And Derrick saved his best defensive play for last. With his team down by one (128-127) and time running out (seven seconds left), Rondo forced up a 12-footer that Derrick roseup (get it?) and blocked! Not only that, but Derrick also managed to snare the rebound and was fouled by Brian Scalabrine. The effort must have taken something out of him, because Rose bonked both free throws, but with only three seconds left and no timeouts remaining, the best Boston could do was a 42-foot desperation heave from Rondo that never had a hope. Game over. Bulls win! Bulls win!!

Here is Rajon Rondo’s shot chart for the game:

picture-8.png

He just couldn’t get in the paint tonight. There were none of those plays where he guns it in transition and lays it in over two back-pedaling Bulls. I’m not sure why he couldn’t attacking the paint, and lord knows I’m not re-watching this game now. Rose did seem to play an additional step or two off of him, and it helps (from Chicago’s perspective) when you make half your shots.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 1, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)
5 of Espn's top 10 plays of the day were from the game. lol

Well, just count the total number of plays from all sports yesterday and 3/4 of them had to come from that game right?

I agree Balta. I actually thought of the same comparison. The bulls fan in me wants Rondo to get 1 game, the basketball fan in me would not mind if the NBA overlooked it, the logical side of me knows that Rondo should get 1 game, the realist in me realizes the NBA will not punish Rondo.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 1, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
I agree Balta. I actually thought of the same comparison. The bulls fan in me wants Rondo to get 1 game, the basketball fan in me would not mind if the NBA overlooked it, the logical side of me knows that Rondo should get 1 game, the realist in me realizes the NBA will not punish Rondo.

If the Celts had won that game I'd bet just about anything he's out for game 1 against the magic.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
Robert Horry got 2 games for this one, in the playoffs.

I'm not sure if there is much of a president for this, but I think when you look at the totality of Rondo in this series, he warrants at least one game. The blatant trip, the Millier hack, and the Hinrich throw all add up. We all know the NBA wouldnt DARE suspend Rando in the best series in recent history. but he's clearly been show to be a thug.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
Well, just count the total number of plays from all sports yesterday and 3/4 of them had to come from that game right?

you may be right, but 3 ots or not , there were still 2 other NBA games, 8 baseball games and the hockey game. Not to mention Golf and all the filler crap espn throws in every once in a while ( things that are not even a sport).