Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think of all the crap we deal with as fans. "Bulls-Celtics 2009" explains why we put up with every story about Clemens and Bonds and Michael Vick and Terrell Owens and everyone else who conspires to make sports less fun. On the same day of Game 6, a story broke that Alex Rodriguez allegedly seen with human growth hormone. The story was digested and consumed in the same predictably brief cycle: Mainstream Web sites and blogs and message boards and sports radio first, then "PTI" and "Around the Horn," then "SportsCenter," then newspapers and magazines. You can either throw yourself into that cycle or look the other way. I am getting older. I just want to watch sports. I have trained myself to look the other way. This stuff clutters my brain, and not in a good way. I just want to watch sports. I just want to watch sports.

Hell yes. This Bulls/Celtics series is that kind of thing where right after the game ends you go out with your friends who are still freaking out and high-5 random people you overhear talking about the same thing- which is pretty much everyone.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 1, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
I just want to add that Brad Miller is the biggest wigger in the universe.

Not even close.

And what's up with this Scalabrine guy? He looks like he should be installing satellite dishes.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 1, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
Not even close.

And what's up with this Scalabrine guy? He looks like he should be installing satellite dishes.

It was an exaggeration, I get it. But if you didn't think his celebrations after the 3's were funny, then I don't know what is.

A few things that need to happen in order for the Bulls to win game 7...

- Rose must score 20+ points and play great defense on Rondo.

- One of Salmons/Gordon must go off.

- Miller/Noah/Tyrus need to outrebound Davis/Perkins/whoever.

- The Bulls need to keep the crowd out of it.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 1, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
A few things that need to happen in order for the Bulls to win game 7...

- Rose must score 20+ points and play great defense on Rondo.

- One of Salmons/Gordon must go off.

- Miller/Noah/Tyrus need to outrebound Davis/Perkins/whoever.

- The Bulls need to keep the crowd out of it.

- Rondo needs to be suspended.

added one for you ;)

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 1, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
53% say the bulls win in regulation or OT.

I think the majority of the country is behind the Bulls in this series. They're tired of the Celtics and they're tired of Rondo. Plus, we're the underdogs.

As for Rondo getting suspended, it's not happening. As much as it should, the NBA doesn't have the balls to do it. If this was any other team besides the Celtics, it probably would have happened. Rondo has been playing like he's playing street ball this series. Hack him hard when he goes inside, don't give him easy points. That doesn't mean you should punch him or slap him across the face, it just means you gotta teach him a lesson or two about coming inside. The guy isn't a great jump shooter, so all he has is the penetration game. On top of that, he's a bad free throw shooter. It's a win-win to foul this guy every chance you get when he goes to the basket, but you just gotta make sure he doesn't get any and-1s, that defeats the point of everything. And the best thing is, win Saturday and all the s*** we've been taking in this series in terms of officiating and bulls*** from the NBA is moot.

It's actually annoying for me to hear ESPN analysts play down this series because it's only in the first round. I almost get the impression people can't admit it. As if they're hoping Game 7 is a blowup so the basketball purists such as Charlies Barkley and Jalen Rose can continue building up past series with actual superstarts!1 Honestly, does it matter that less is at stake? When you're a player, on the court, is "oh man, this is the Finals; I better give 100% instead of 95%!" going through your head? Take everything from this series as a whole, ignore what round it happened in, and say to me that any series has eclipsed it?

If the intensity is heightened as the series continues forward, then why hasn't a game like this happened before in the semis, conference finals, or finals? BUT WAIT, THE GAMES HAVE MORE INTENSITY! MORE IS AT STAKE!11

Admit it, people. As the the ESPN columnist Simmons suggested, this game has transcended the sport. Even people unfamiliar with basketball all watching this. The NBA only wishes more time would pass between Game 6 and 7 so they could promote it more.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ May 1, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
Hell yes. This Bulls/Celtics series is that kind of thing where right after the game ends you go out with your friends who are still freaking out and high-5 random people you overhear talking about the same thing- which is pretty much everyone.

My Facebook news feed was crazy last night, it's all anyone was talking about.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 1, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
It's actually annoying for me to hear ESPN analysts play down this series because it's only in the first round. I almost get the impression people can't admit it. As if they're hoping Game 7 is a blowup so the basketball purists such as Charlies Barkley and Jalen Rose can continue building up past series with actual superstarts!1 Honestly, does it matter that less is at stake? When you're a player, on the court, is "oh man, this is the Finals; I better give 100% instead of 95%!" going through your head? Take everything from this series as a whole, ignore what round it happened in, and say to me that any series has eclipsed it?

If the intensity is heightened as the series continues forward, then why hasn't a game like this happened before in the semis, conference finals, or finals? BUT WAIT, THE GAMES HAVE MORE INTENSITY! MORE IS AT STAKE!11

Admit it, people. As the the ESPN columnist Simmons suggested, this game has transcended the sport. Even people unfamiliar with basketball all watching this. The NBA only wishes more time would pass between Game 6 and 7 so they could promote it more.

This has been perhaps the most exciting series of all time, but I can understand the downplaying by some. Both teams have blown several chances to win in basically every game (outside of the blowout game 3), both teams have appeared very poorly coached, there hasn't been anything resembling defense, and it's a first round series between two teams who have ZERO shot at making the NBA Finals, let alone winning them. This has been a thrilling, exciting, epic series for the ages, but take it for what it is because it's been very flawed in several senses too.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I'd say it is. The guys for the most part, who say it isn't, is because there are no superstars. I'm sorry, but we have two superstars in the making in Derrick Rose and Rajon Rondo, we have two perrenial all-stars in Pierce and Ray Allen who will both make the hall of fame, we have an underdog team. I rather have this series instead of having the same 2-3 people go back and forth at each other. People complain about playing team basketball, well both teams are doing great jobs at that and every guy on both teams has contributed. Now all of a sudden, for the series to be great, we need to lessen the team ball strategy.

Honestly, the only time I've ever been almost as excited for an NBA playoffs is Kings Lakers.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 1, 2009 -> 08:31 AM)
To the couple people who compare John Salmons and Larry Hughes...

Stop it.

I only compared their shot selection and I stand by that. Salmons doesn't pass the ball. It's just that his shot goes in more often than Hughes' does.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 1, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
Best playoff series of all time? Ranks up there. But not #1 because it is the first round.

Stupid argument. The level of excitement is unmatched. The round it took place in has nothing to do with that.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 1, 2009 -> 09:59 AM)
It's not so much that the games were better, it's because more chips were at stake in later rounds. If you are looking at best series without looking at the rounds, then this series is the best, imo.

Again, why does that matter? I don't buy that there is more at stake. One team is going home regardless. When it's this close, that's a very real possibility for either so it's not like the players would try harder if it was the finals.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 1, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
I just want to add that Brad Miller is the biggest wigger in the universe. His gangster/thug life celebrations were hilarious.

Jason Williams before he went to the Heat? Chris Andersen? Eric Devendorf?

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 1, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
I only compared their shot selection and I stand by that. Salmons doesn't pass the ball. It's just that his shot goes in more often than Hughes' does.

Stupid argument. The level of excitement is unmatched. The round it took place in has nothing to do with that.

Again, why does that matter? I don't buy that there is more at stake. One team is going home regardless. When it's this close, that's a very real possibility for either so it's not like the players would try harder if it was the finals.

Jason Williams before he went to the Heat? Chris Andersen? Eric Devendorf?

I'll give you Williams and Devendorf, but why Andersen? Because he's tatted up? Because he's actually an athletic white guy? The guy f***ing spikes his hair. Far from wigger.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 1, 2009 -> 06:16 PM)
Anyone know where I can find video of the Noah play with Stacey King going crazy? Everything I find is the TNT audio.

Is it on the comcast chicago website?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 1, 2009 -> 06:18 PM)
Is it on the comcast chicago website?

If it is, I can't find it. Just post game interviews.

I have grown to love Stacey King on color.

Edited by Brian