Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ May 1, 2009 -> 06:18 PM)
I have grown to love Stacey King on color.

+1

Stacey is so entertaining and has fun with Neil Funk (who is awesome IMO). anyone notice he went with the "HE GONE" after Perkins fouled out last night?

BIG BABY? WHAT ARE YOU DOIN BIG BABY? CANT JUMP OVER A DOLLAR BILL!

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ May 1, 2009 -> 06:24 PM)
+1

Stacey is so entertaining and has fun with Neil Funk (who is awesome IMO). anyone notice he went with the "HE GONE" after Perkins fouled out last night?

BIG BABY? WHAT ARE YOU DOIN BIG BABY? CANT JUMP OVER A DOLLAR BILL!

+2

They're the only reason I choose to watch the comcast feed.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 1, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
I'll give you Williams and Devendorf, but why Andersen? Because he's tatted up? Because he's actually an athletic white guy? The guy f***ing spikes his hair. Far from wigger.

I don't even think Brad Miller is a whigger to be honest... I think he's a beer drinking redneck from IN. I can see where people might get that idea... but I think its more of a stereotype than anything. Jason Williams -- White Chocolate -- that guy is a whigger.

I just watched Stacy King last night from the last 2 minutes of the 4th and on. While I enjoy Harlan and Collins, I will be listening to Comcast for now on. The crowd sounds way louder. And Stacey had me cracking up! Especially when Brad crossed over Perkins.

You guys seriously need to listen to him. Wow was he great.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 1, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
I'll give you Williams and Devendorf, but why Andersen? Because he's tatted up? Because he's actually an athletic white guy? The guy f***ing spikes his hair. Far from wigger.

Andersen is almost the definition. I love the guy, but I remember hearing him in an interview with the Hornets a couple of years back. I laughed and instantly loved the guy.

Williams is too, but apparently he has a "card". My favorite PG ever as he was the most entertaining.

I hope Devendorf breaks a leg though. I just hate the guy.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 1, 2009 -> 07:00 PM)
oh absolutely.

and is it PC to say whigger? Just curious. Havent heard that term in 10 years.

Good question. I've wondered that myself. I'd catagorize "whigger" with a term like "guido." Probably not PC to say it, but I don't think it would be that big of a deal if you happened to use a term like that in a conversation.

Anyway, back to the thread...

Just like to say that as much as I thought Rondo's punk ass should get suspended, you knew it wasn't going to happen. I really hope someone hard fouls the f*** out of Rondo tomorrow. And when I say "someone," I mean Aaron Gray or another scrub that won't affect the team's performance if he were to get thrown out of the game, for instance.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 1, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
"Rondo hitting John Salmons with a chair"

This would not surprise me.

I watched every moment of this series and can't remember how many times Derrick Rose wheeled into the lane, spun one way or the other and either scooped in a layup or a floating one-hander. He does it again and again and again. He does it whenever he wants. Thank God, Vinny hasn't noticed.

lol

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ May 1, 2009 -> 08:18 PM)
Kind of random, but anyone else think it would be nice to have Thabo Sefalosha right now to slow/shutdown Pierce/Allen. The guy is a pretty awesome defender

As shorthanded as we are without Deng, of course.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 1, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
I only compared their shot selection and I stand by that. Salmons doesn't pass the ball. It's just that his shot goes in more often than Hughes' does.

That is a stupid comparison PERIOD. You can not compare players that are almost 10 percentage points apart in fg%. John Salmons has a better 3 pt% than Larry Hughes has fg%. FG % could mean the difference between NBA and CBA. Does completion % matter to you in football? How about Era in baseball? Maybe if you compare the two, you should really clarify yourself.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 1, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
Stupid argument. The level of excitement is unmatched. The round it took place in has nothing to do with that.

Again, why does that matter? I don't buy that there is more at stake. One team is going home regardless. When it's this close, that's a very real possibility for either so it's not like the players would try harder if it was the finals.

Where do you draw the line? If these games happened during the regular season, would it matter less or the same? This is a pointless argument because everyone has a different opinion, and guess what? No one is right or wrong.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 1, 2009 -> 09:42 PM)
That is a stupid comparison PERIOD. You can not compare players that are almost 10 percentage points apart in fg%. John Salmons has a better 3 pt% than Larry Hughes has fg%. FG % could mean the difference between NBA and CBA. Does completion % matter to you in football? How about Era in baseball? Maybe if you compare the two, you should really clarify yourself.

I didn't say Hughes is as good as Salmons. I just said they both have terrible shot selection and don't pass the ball. Hughes shot 40% this year, Salmons 47%. If you would have read what I said you would have got this instead of blanketing the fact that I compared them. I just said they both have terrible shot selection.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 2, 2009 -> 05:09 AM)
I didn't say Hughes is as good as Salmons. I just said they both have terrible shot selection and don't pass the ball. Hughes shot 40% this year, Salmons 47%. If you would have read what I said you would have got this instead of blanketing the fact that I compared them. I just said they both have terrible shot selection.

Agreed. Salmons does drive more though.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ May 1, 2009 -> 09:51 PM)
lol

Eh. Rose drives when he wants to without really thinking about anything else. For example, he may have Kendrick Perkins on him. A guy he could easily blow past, on ISO, and he'll settle for a jumpshot. I've seen it on more than one occasion in this series. Then he'll have a guy like Rondo shading him towards the paint with Perkins ready to cheat. Rose, will do exactly what Rondo wants, so Rondo could go for the steal, if he misses, Perkins is there to make the shot extremely difficult. Salmons did the same thing when he had Pierce at 5 fouls. He stopped driving and settled for long jumpers even though he was driving much earlier on Pierce and Pierce wouldn't guard him.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 2, 2009 -> 06:09 AM)

I still don't see how you can call a 47% shooter a terrible shot selector. I hope Salmons continues to take terrible shots at a 47% clip.

Scoop Jackson on tonight's game:

Now, the one problem -- and it could be a big one -- for Chicago will be trying to contain Ben Gordon if the game is close. See, BG fouling out and not being able to contribute in the overtimes of Game 6 will probably make him overanxious and feel like he has to make up for that in Game 7. That's something the Bulls cannot afford to have happen.

But the question is, who's going to stop it from happening?

Del Negro is a rookie coach. He's not in a position to stop it because he hasn't been with BG long enough. Derrick Rose can't stop it because he hasn't been in the league long enough to tell BG what's necessary to win games like this. Ben's not going to stop it because … well, that's him. That's what superstars do. That's what they're supposed to do.

It's just going to be a matter of how it gets done. If the Bulls can find a way to run plays for Ben -- re-read, plays for Ben -- as opposed to just giving him the ball as he crosses half court with 20 seconds left on the shot clock and watching him try to figure out a way to get a shot off, then they have a chance of having Ben "shock the world," as opposed to shaking up theirs. If they can find a way to get him the ball off screens with somewhere closer to eight seconds on the shot clock and somewhere around or just inside the 3-point line on several (not every!) occasions, then they have a legit shot (pun intended) at winning.

Basically, if Ben Gordon comes into the game with the same mentality and efficiency that Allen did for Boston in Game 6, then Orlando will be the Bulls' next destination. But how do you tell a hero not to be a hero? Especially if he feels he might have let his team down in the previous game.

So basically it will come down to a mind game. Who will make the smarter decisions in the moment. A moment that is still fresh in the Celtics' memories from just last postseason. A moment they lived to talk about … twice.