Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
I think a lot of it has to do with Jay-Z trying to make room to get Lebron in 2010. I can't believe I just typed that.

Ahh forgot about that.

They've got to get out of Vince Carter's deal somehow then right (because he still has 1 year on his deal after 2010 IIRC).

But I actually like this deal from a talent point for the Nets. Simmons was very good for the Clippers before he got hurt, and Yi could be a star in 2-3 years once he bulks up.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
If that happens, the Knicks get to choose either Westbrook or Bayless. They'd be very happy bout that.

Surprised the Clippers would trade up to get Gordon though. Maybe they hope the Wolves somehow take Lopez at 3 and Mayo falls to #4, I don't know.

I think they could have stayed at #7 and still got Gordon FWIW.

Yeah, the Gordon thing was in the article, but I find that a little strange, too.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
I think a lot of it has to do with Jay-Z trying to make room to get Lebron in 2010. I can't believe I just typed that.

I see no possible way LBJ leaves Cleveland.

Now, I really want to see us make a push for the 2nd overall pick. How about- Deng, TT, Hinrich, and our 1st round pick next year for the #2 and Mark Blount. We'd get Beasley, and a 7'0 Blount who can get us 9 ppg and 3 rpg. He'd be a nice guy off the bench, IMO.

Rotoworld's newest mock has a good summary of Miami's choice:

2. Miami Heat – F Michael Beasley - Do I think Beasley will play for the Heat? Not really. Pat Riley has decided that he is going to do whatever he can to trade this pick. Trade Shawn Marion, trade Beasley, trade D-Wade, sell his championship rings…whatever. But regardless of how much Riley doesn't want Beasley, he has to take him here. Beasley is a friggin' stud and is going to be a great pro. There's no reason for Riley to be acting this way, except that he's going to try to turn Beasley into three solid players. We'll see if he can pull it off. As much as Riley doesn't want to take Beasley here, he simply has to. But don't be surprised if Beasley gets traded for O.J. Mayo, Jerryd Bayless, Russell Westbrook, Eric Gordon, D.J. Augustin, Mike Miller, whoever.

:D

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
I know the ESPN draft coverage starts at 6, but anybody know what team the Bulls will actually be on the clock? Will the picks start right at 6, or a little later like 6:30 or so??

I'd guess around 6:15.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
I disagree 100 pct with this.

When a team gets a huge new practice facility and changes their uniforms just for you, you won't be going anywhere. Plus, Cleveland is right by his hometown of Akron.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
Is there anyway that next week the Bulls have a backcourt of Rose and Redd? Because that would be awesome.

It'd probably be Deng for Redd, or TT and Nocioni for Redd. Are you willing?

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)
I'd guess around 6:15.

6:35 is what I'm hearing.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
Is there anyway that next week the Bulls have a backcourt of Rose and Redd? Because that would be awesome.

Redd shouldn't be too hard to acquire and could probably be had for a package built around Hinrich (although you'd have to add someone else with some upside because Redd > Hinrich). However, the question is if this team is building around Rose does getting Redd really help you long-term (which is a couple years from now when the team will be competing for a title). That is the key, if you go Rose, you have to make sure you built the team around guys who are going to be at there best when he's in his prime (you still need vets, whom you can acquire with the MLE that can help the squad get in the playoffs, but you need to make sure you keep as many young pieces to grow with Rose as possible).

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 11:40 AM)
I've heard they like Westbrook, it'll be him or Bayless they take. They could have stayed at #7 and took Gordon (who Seattle will probably take at #7 now), but they traded up for a PG it seems.

Eric Gordon is good but his upside to me is that of a player similar to Ben Gordon and that isn't necessarily an asset (at least not early in there careers when they get to the point where they eventually dupe a team to give a not very well rounded player a max or near max deal.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
Jefferson's really not much else than a scorer though. Never been a good rebounder, and he's average defensively IIRC. Still he's the best player in the deal (might not be the case at the end of next season however).

For a 3, Jefferson is a pretty darn good all around player (he can score, rebound and get assists, although he does have a high TO rate).

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 01:16 PM)
When a team gets a huge new practice facility and changes their uniforms just for you, you won't be going anywhere. Plus, Cleveland is right by his hometown of Akron.

It'd probably be Deng for Redd, or TT and Nocioni for Redd. Are you willing?

6:35 is what I'm hearing.

Deng for Redd is laughable. Deng is better than Redd by a longshot already and that is before you factor in age and everything else. Nocioni and Tyrus Thomas would probably be a fair deal though for both sides, although the Bulls aren't going to acquire Redd without a plan to clear out the log-jam of 2 guards they have (ie, Hughes/Gordon/Hinrich).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
Deng for Redd is laughable. Deng is better than Redd by a longshot already and that is before you factor in age and everything else. Nocioni and Tyrus Thomas would probably be a fair deal though for both sides, although the Bulls aren't going to acquire Redd without a plan to clear out the log-jam of 2 guards they have (ie, Hughes/Gordon/Hinrich).

I'd deal Hinrich and Tyrus for Redd in an instant. The open jumpers Deng and Redd would receive from Rose would be ridiculous. I don't think MIL does it though, since Skiles hates Tyrus.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 05:20 PM)
For a 3, Jefferson is a pretty darn good all around player (he can score, rebound and get assists, although he does have a high TO rate).

He's only averaged around 4.3 rebounds the last couple of seasons though. I'd expect more from my SF. Also has about a 1.35/1 A/TO ratio which is ok I guess.

He did bounce back scoring wise last season though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 05:23 PM)

Well considering that Skiles didn't get along with Thomas, can't see that happening.

And Milwaulkee would have 5 SF's/PF's in Jefferson, Thomas, Villenueva, Nocioni and Alexander (if they draft him) under that scenario.

They'd rather dump Redd for expiring contracts I think.