Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 15, 2009 -> 08:33 AM)
Denver over Seattle and it isn't even close. This LA team is a 2 man team with a bunch of role players. They're highly overrated and I'm a Lakers fan.

There is nothing at all wrong with the concept of a 2 man team with a bunch of role players if the 2 men are quite good at what they do and the role players cover their roles.

I don't think the problem in L.A. has anything to do with talent. It has everything to do with attitude. Just like it did last year.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 15, 2009 -> 08:33 AM)
Denver over Seattle and it isn't even close. This LA team is a 2 man team with a bunch of role players. They're highly overrated and I'm a Lakers fan.

The Bulls were a two man team with a bunch of role players and are widely regarded as one of the greatest dynasties ever.

Laker fans and the players seem to be reaming Bynum. I think now is the time the Bulls try to swing a deal to get the Lakers big man. I don't think you'd have to give up as much, given the questions surrounding his knee and the fact that the Lakers might have to change things up.

OBviously this conversation changes if the Lakers go on to win the title or if Bynum gets back into a groove in the playoffs. Plus acquiring Bynum shouldn't kill the clubs chances of being able to get a franchise player in 2010.

I think a Hinrich/Tyrus Thomas for Bynum and filler deal would work. Lakers needs a point guard, Hinrich could fill that roll, and Tyrus Thomas is an athletic big that could play along side Gasol. Maybe they'd prefer Noah, but I'd probably do that as well, even though Noah really played strong down the stretch.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 15, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
The Bulls were a two man team with a bunch of role players and are widely regarded as one of the greatest dynasties ever.

Well this 2 man team is nowhere near being anything like the Bulls dynasty. Not even the same planet.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 15, 2009 -> 09:05 AM)
Well this 2 man team is nowhere near being anything like the Bulls dynasty. Not even the same planet.

I'm not really saying it is, but for a chunk of this season they looked like locks to win the NBA title. Of course that was often times with a healthy Bynum.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ May 14, 2009 -> 11:23 PM)
I'm not buying the notion that the Lakers from 1-12 are the most talented team in the NBA,except for Kobe,Gasol and sometimes Odom,the other 9 are just role players>> Farmar,Bynum,Fisher,Walton,Vujacic,Riza...come on,seriously?Most talented?How?

When healthy Bynum is pretty damn good, he is no role player. And he is just a kid, he is only going to get better.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 15, 2009 -> 11:05 AM)
Laker fans and the players seem to be reaming Bynum. I think now is the time the Bulls try to swing a deal to get the Lakers big man.

I like the way you're thinking. *Visions of a Rose/Bynum tandem dancing through my head*

I know it's not likely, but words just can not describe how much I'd love to see the Rockets knock off the Lakers in game 7. Kenny Smith called LA "arrogant" the other day on PTI, and it's true. They all seemed so cocksure in the postgame they would beat Houston at Staples, especially Phil Jackson. I'd love to see the condescending smirks wiped off their faces. They really deserve to be embarrassed in front of their home crowd.

Boston/Orlando game 7 should be very interesting. Boston's history of winning game 7's is well documented, but I actually feel like Orlando can take it. I think Dwight realized last night that it's the defensive end he's gotta be "dominant" and quit complaining about touches. Because let's be honest, his offensive game is limited, and Perkins especially has been doing a good job of moving him away from the basket when he goes for his favorite non-dunk move, the baby hook.

RIP, Wayman Tisdale.

Edited by Ron

The Lakers will win Game 7 but I'll run naked in downtown Chicago if the Lakers get anywhere near to getting a whiff of the NBA trophy...if they get to the Finals,LeBron and the Cavs will carve them up.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ May 15, 2009 -> 11:33 PM)
The Lakers will win Game 7 but I'll run naked in downtown Chicago if the Lakers get anywhere near to getting a whiff of the NBA trophy...if they get to the Finals,LeBron and the Cavs will carve them up.

I do believe in the "conspiracy" of the Lakers/Cavaliers, more specifically Lebron/Kobe. The execs are jizzing themselves to get that matchup for all the merchandising opportunities.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2009 -> 11:43 PM)
Damn, I remember him as a big time prospect coming out of Memphis State

Not to get sidetracked, but I like the use of "State" in italics. Every University of Memphis fan I know would be proud to hear it still referred to as that b/c I know so many people here that still refer to it as "Memphis State."

Anyway, I'm really pulling for the Rockets in Game 7. I wouldn't say I hate the Lakers (b/c I do like Kobe), but I just hate that whole team's attitude. Like they're entitled or something b/c their LA. Also rooting for the Magic. Though I'm sure both the Rockets and Magic will lose.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 16, 2009 -> 12:12 AM)
I do believe in the "conspiracy" of the Lakers/Cavaliers, more specifically Lebron/Kobe. The execs are jizzing themselves to get that matchup for all the merchandising opportunities.

Yup. They were talking about this on Around the Horn yesterday. It'd be a disaster for the league if the Lakers were to bow out this early to a team made up of role players, second-round picks and even one undrafted player among the top 7 in their rotation (aside from Artest). I expect the Lakers to get at least 40 FT attempts.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 15, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)

Anyone else remember Game 6 of the Kings/Lakers series like 8 years ago? The single worst officiated NBA game I've ever seen?

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it challenged here.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 16, 2009 -> 12:49 AM)
He went to Oklahoma

Who the heck I am thinking of then? Big man, who was supposed to be a big timer in the NBA and was a huge flop, from the same time frame... Does that ring a bell for anyone?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
Who the heck I am thinking of then? Big man, who was supposed to be a big timer in the NBA and was a huge flop, from the same time frame... Does that ring a bell for anyone?

Are you thinking of William Bedford? 6th pick in 86 draft by the suns, 7 footer, out of what was then called Memphis State? Currently in a Texas prison on a drug transportation bust?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)

Chris Washburn