Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 24, 2009 -> 12:34 AM)
As far as buzzer beaters go, Robert Horry vs the Kings > Lebron vs the Magic last night.

John Stockton's against the Rockets in the Conference Finals was a good one, only to lose to the Bulls for the first of two times.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 23, 2009 -> 10:17 PM)
Note to George Karl, have someone who is a good passer inbound the ball in late game situations you moron.

George Karl's playoff record speaks for itself. I knew I shouldn't have hopped on Denver's bandwagon. They've now been dismissed.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ May 23, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
How stupid do the Bulls look not trading Gordon,Hinrich and Deng for Bryant a couple of years ago.I so wanted that trade because Kobe is still the best closer in the game,IMO.

The Lakers were NEVER going to trade Kobe Bryant. And a team with Kobe and I guess Andre Nocioni and a bunch of scrubs wouldn't do a damn thing anyway.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 24, 2009 -> 01:37 AM)
John Stockton's against the Rockets in the Conference Finals was a good one, only to lose to the Bulls for the first of two times.

I remember that series like it was yesterday. I thought Eddie Johnson's buzzer-beater in game 4 was one of the absolute best ever. His initial reaction immediately after the shot went in was priceless. Man I miss 90's NBA on NBC.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 24, 2009 -> 02:08 AM)
I remember that series like it was yesterday. I thought Eddie Johnson's buzzer-beater in game 4 was one of the absolute best ever. His initial reaction immediately after the shot went in was priceless. Man I miss 90's NBA on NBC.

Man I totally forgot about the Eddie Johnson buzzer beater. I didn't think he'd make it, but tied the series at 2 with it.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 24, 2009 -> 12:34 AM)
As far as buzzer beaters go, Robert Horry vs the Kings > Lebron vs the Magic last night.

Maybe if you take the whole play into discussion but not the actual shot.

Thank you, that's 2-1 to us.

Some BS foul calls on Lebron as per usual, but we stuck through it, and showed that we can win without Dwight on the floor for long periods.

If we keep Williams and West under control, I like our chances going forward.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 24, 2009 -> 10:11 PM)
Thank you, that's 2-1 to us.

Some BS foul calls on Lebron as per usual, but we stuck through it, and showed that we can win without Dwight on the floor for long periods.

If we keep Williams and West under control, I like our chances going forward.

SHOULD be 3-0 but LeBron hits that toss up 3.. oh well, I am happy with 2-1 and Cleveland is just not that impressive.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ May 24, 2009 -> 12:51 PM)
As long as we're talking buzzer beaters,Derek Fisher's heave with less than a second,.04 to be exact that beat the Spurs was just insane.

Wasnt that shot highly debated because the shot clock didnt start at the right time, thus giving Fisher extra time?

QUOTE (T R U @ May 25, 2009 -> 01:11 AM)
SHOULD be 3-0 but LeBron hits that toss up 3.. oh well, I am happy with 2-1 and Cleveland is just not that impressive.

Cleveland just does not match up well with Orlando. They can't slow down Howard inside with the guys they have there, and the non-Lebron guys just aren't able to create their own shots with the Magic defenders on them.

Going back to LeBron's buzzer beater, what's the big deal, why is everybody on his nuts? It's like people have never seen a buzzer beater in the playoffs before. This one didn't even come at any special time, like to clinch the series. I guess hitting a 3 to win a game and have them down 2-1 instead of 3-0 after losing the following game is a big deal?

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 26, 2009 -> 08:12 AM)
Going back to LeBron's buzzer beater, what's the big deal, why is everybody on his nuts? It's like people have never seen a buzzer beater in the playoffs before. This one didn't even come at any special time, like to clinch the series. I guess hitting a 3 to win a game and have them down 2-1 instead of 3-0 after losing the following game is a big deal?

I think people are just assigning a level of magnitude to that shot so that if(when?) the Cavs come back, people can go back to that shot and say "Thats where LeBron saved the series for the Cavs"

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 24, 2009 -> 02:08 AM)
George Karl's playoff record speaks for itself. I knew I shouldn't have hopped on Denver's bandwagon. They've now been dismissed.

It does speak for itself. He's taken 3 different teams to the conference finals, and has the Denver freaking Nuggets 2 wins from the NBA Finals. I'm not sure why you imply he can't win big games because that premise is false. Yeah he doesn't have a ring, but he's not an idiot either.

As for the current events, Cleveland is going to lose unless LeBron comes up with some superhuman performances. I still don't know how good Orlando is (they are without their best point guard, and I think they'd lose a relatively short series to Denver or Los Angeles) but they are taking advantage of all the matchup problems they present Cleveland (SVG is doing a fantastic job, no surprise) and I would be very surprised if they don't win this series based on what has been seen the first 3 games. I feel a bit foolish having thought Cleveland would win relatively easily against Orlando because there were glaring matchup problems that any idiot (except me) could have seen coming. The LA/Denver series is going 7 games, and it should be a fantastic final 3 in that one.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 26, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
It does speak for itself. He's taken 3 different teams to the conference finals, and has the Denver freaking Nuggets 2 wins from the NBA Finals. I'm not sure why you imply he can't win big games because that premise is false. Yeah he doesn't have a ring, but he's not an idiot either.

62-83 was his career playoff record coming into these playoffs. That, well, that sucks. Taking 3 teams to the conference finals in all the years he's been around is nothing to really get loud about. Denver blew this series on Saturday (awesome when your players can't execute a simple inbounds pass).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 26, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
62-83 was his career playoff record coming into these playoffs. That, well, that sucks. Taking 3 teams to the conference finals in all the years he's been around is nothing to really get loud about. Denver blew this series on Saturday (awesome when your players can't execute a simple inbounds pass).

That record isn't too bad considering the franchises he's coached for in his time. Not getting the inbound pass in during two different games is pathetic, I won't argue that, but George Karl isn't a bad coach at all. And that series is FAR from over.

Mo Williams had better have a big game in him tonight for all the talking out of his neck that he's doing. Guaranteeing you'll win the series when you're playing like garbage isn't confidence imho, it's stupidity. Just go out and play the game.

Stan Van Gundy has been killing it with the quotes recently. "Every time he [LeBron] dribbles he gets a foul, so it's kinda hard to defend him," during the sideline interview in Game 3. The "write what you saw" quip in the postgame. Then yesterday: "Mo Williams and Ben Wallace are falling down more than a baby just learning to walk," and "This isn't the BCS where people get to vote who gets to play. This is real sports where it's decided on the court." Hilarious stuff.

Denver better hope Melo can get right. If they want to win the series, he's going to have to lead the charge in a game at Staples. Denver can take it 7 without him, but they can't win without him. The supporting cast stepped up huge yesterday, and the Lakers once again showed their mercurial tendencies. The Lakers once again look beatable, but they're not gonna roll over completely.

Edited by Ron