Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 26, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)
The NBA's fixing is f***ing blatant tonight.

Didn't do them any good tonight anyways..

LeBrons puppet can officially STFU

This series is over. Not even having the best player in the league means they have a chance to come back. No support. Mo Williams showing what he has been his whole career, average.

I'm really indifferent on Cleveland but with how cocky they acted during the regular season with there poses and stuff, they reap what they sew.

Orlando is the better team.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ May 26, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
I have no horse in the playoffs but I was hoping the Cavs would make it because I felt they had a better chance at knocking off the Lakers...could the Magic beat the Lakers?

Not sure. I know Denver can.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ May 26, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
I have no horse in the playoffs but I was hoping the Cavs would make it because I felt they had a better chance at knocking off the Lakers...could the Magic beat the Lakers?

Doubtful. They did take both regular season games. The Magic just matchup extremely well with Cleveland. Makes you wonder how tough they'd be now with a healthy Jameer Nelson (although Rafer Alston wouldn't have been acquired).

QUOTE (Brian @ May 26, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
This series is over. Not even having the best player in the league means they have a chance to come back. No support. Mo Williams showing what he has been his whole career, average.

I'm really indifferent on Cleveland but with how cocky they acted during the regular season with there poses and stuff, they reap what they sew.

Orlando is the better team.

I'm not going to say this series is over because if Dwight Howard gets another technical foul, he's going to get a 1 game suspension. If he were to get it in Game 5 and the Cavs win, they go back to Orlando without Howard and have a much better chance to win, and force a game 7. This is all hypothetical, but another technical for Howard can certainly happen.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:31 AM)
I'm not going to say this series is over because if Dwight Howard gets another technical foul, he's going to get a 1 game suspension. If he were to get it in Game 5 and the Cavs win, they go back to Orlando without Howard and have a much better chance to win, and force a game 7. This is all hypothetical, but another technical for Howard can certainly happen.

I would be throwing every player on the bench after Howard in Game 5 in hopes in drawing that technical.

I dont see the Cavs losing Game 5 so I wish we could just fast forward to Game 6.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 26, 2009 -> 11:31 PM)

That tech can be rescinded I believe after they look at it, seeing as all he really did was make a fist pump after getting an and 1. I didnt really see the need for the Tech there as he didnt go out of his way to taunt AV, but who knows.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:28 AM)
Doubtful. They did take both regular season games. The Magic just matchup extremely well with Cleveland. Makes you wonder how tough they'd be now with a healthy Jameer Nelson (although Rafer Alston wouldn't have been acquired).

There's actually a rumor going around that Nelson is going to play in the Finals if we make it there. And considering AJ's abysmal backup play so far (-9 today on court), I'd be for it, considering how clutch of a shooter Nelson is in the 4th, which is another weakness of ours.

Still picking the Cavs in 5 ranger? :D

QUOTE (T R U @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:55 AM)
That tech can be rescinded I believe after they look at it, seeing as all he really did was make a fist pump after getting an and 1. I didnt really see the need for the Tech there as he didnt go out of his way to taunt AV, but who knows.

Varejao's the dirtiest player in the league.

Sooner or later, he's going to hurt someone real badly with the way he contorts his body and has his arms waving around everywhere.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:29 AM)
Anyone remember those annoying Reebok ads prior to the 92 Olympics?The Dave vs Dan commercials,this is gonna be Nike's version of that marketing flop :lolhitting

Good call

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ May 26, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)

The Magic have a roster that to my eyes is designed to win playoff games. They can:

Go down low to a big man for 20+ points at a high %age

Get a ton of rebounds/blocks out of that same guy

Draw fouls on the other team's big men (all 3 of those are Howard)

They're feisty, opportunistic defenders on the outside, which has so far bothered the outside shooters of both Boston and Cleveland.

They can barrage you with 3 point baskets

They play a solid pick and roll game

They can play the inside/outside game and force the other team to spread the floor.

The Magic seem like a team that is built to win 7 game series. Their 3 point shots aren't going to fall every game, but they have enough shooters that you can usually count on one or two guys getting going. If Howard gets in foul trouble, they're hurting, but Howard's been fairly good about that (sans the technicals) and their backups on D have been adequate, even if they don't give the athleticism. They have played very solid defense on the other team's outside guys and just shut down some major shooting threats (Allen, Williams). They can give the other team's star player a number of different looks on D, which is often a good strategy.

They're not going to win every game, but in a way they're like the Bulls...if you give them 7 games, in 2-3 of them, their outside shooters are just going to carry the team by being absolutely scorching. And then on top of that, throw in Howard and some intelligent defense, they're going to be a real threat to anyone.

Frankly, the key to a Magic/Lakers series...going to be Bynum. Gasol's decent down low but he's too timid, never really pushes to create his shot, holds the ball too long, and Howard will simply own him. If the Lakers can get a good performance out of Bynum, they can force the Magic out to the perimeter and make it a game of transition baskets and outside shots, and the Lakers can win that.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)
I'm eyeing a Magic/Lakers final. I think the Lakers will struggle to win the series, I think it goes seven.

If the Lakers win it, I think it goes 7. I think it's possible the Magic could just beat them senseless too.