Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
If the Lakers win it, I think it goes 7. I think it's possible the Magic could just beat them senseless too.

they could, if Bynum doesn't show up Howard crushes in that series. I am fine with anyone winning except the Lakers. I think the whole Kobe Bryant situation is gross.

Edited by SoxFan562004

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a Magic/Nuggets final so bad. Denver has enough athletic depth up front to be a pain for Dwight, and both teams can throw endless 3-point opportunities because both teams are deep in shooters. That'd be such an entertaining Finals, albeit a poorly-rated one by the mass morons of America.

Hence Kobe and LeBron getting all the calls.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
I want a Magic/Nuggets final so bad. Denver has enough athletic depth up front to be a pain for Dwight, and both teams can throw endless 3-point opportunities because both teams are deep in shooters. That'd be such an entertaining Finals, albeit a poorly-rated one by the mass morons of America.

Hence Kobe and LeBron getting all the calls.

The NBA long ago made the decision that the best way to market itself was to market its stars, especially the ones who make headlines, rather than marketing things like the game itself. I don't know if that was the right monetary decision, I think it's certainly had a negative impact on the quality of the game. Series like the Spurs/Pistons, or Hell, even the Bulls/Celtics, don't get the credit they deserve because the stars aren't there controlling it. Let's not pretend it's just the average fan's fault here...the NBA has encouraged it at every step.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
The NBA long ago made the decision that the best way to market itself was to market its stars, especially the ones who make headlines, rather than marketing things like the game itself. I don't know if that was the right monetary decision, I think it's certainly had a negative impact on the quality of the game. Series like the Spurs/Pistons, or Hell, even the Bulls/Celtics, don't get the credit they deserve because the stars aren't there controlling it. Let's not pretend it's just the average fan's fault here...the NBA has encouraged it at every step.

You raise a good point. The announcers obviously are in line as well. Last night LeBron passed to Delonte West in the corner. Delonte then took the ball in ON DWIGHT HOWARD and bumped into him and put in the layup. Given his size and his stature, that was a pretty nice move to actually get a bucket instead of getting stuffed.

Do the announcers say "nice play by Delonte West"? No. They say "look at how LeBron trusts his teammates". It's a goddamned joke the way they talk this guy up like Jesus Christ.

That would be a fantastic trade for the Bulls. They'd be ridding themselves of Deng's contract and getting a nice big man presence who could also be a great lobbyist for you in the summer of 2010. Heck, maybe Shaq even likes it in Chicago that he takes a discount to play a 20mpg role for another year or two on a potential championship contender.

I f***ing love it, love it.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 27, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)

I would love that.

Reason being... its brilliant. he's not very good now, we all know that... but luol deng's contract is horrible and he's signed for like 4 years after this. So we'd lose that contract and get to enjoy funny Shaq quotes for a year.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
I would love that.

Reason being... its brilliant. he's not very good now, we all know that... but luol deng's contract is horrible and he's signed for like 4 years after this. So we'd lose that contract and get to enjoy funny Shaq quotes for a year.

Plus Shaq can still score and is a big body in the middle.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 27, 2009 -> 12:05 PM)
I would love that.

I'd like to have a center with a jumper in the VDN offense, but short of that, having a guy that will collapse the D onto the block is a nice alternative, especially if we get Gordon back to shoot on the outside.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 27, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
Didn't those two get in a fight a few years back, or was it Miller and some other big man?

It was those two. Shaq swung and completely missed on Miller. If he connected though, he probably would've been suspended for awhile. It was a huge swing that could've knocked out anyone.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 27, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
Didn't those two get in a fight a few years back, or was it Miller and some other big man?

I remember the last time the Bulls put two players on the floor who fought each other previously, Rodman and Pippen

The good times

It kinda was those two, but Shaq completely messed up on who the player was that hit/pushed him with his back turned. He thought it was Miller and threw a punch, which missed for strike one.

I can't even fathom the thought of a Bulls actually having a lost post scorer, even if it's for only a season, especially one who can still be dominent at times.

Great win by Orlando last night. Love how Dwight just manned up in OT and put the team on his shoulders. Alston definitely brought his A game, saved them early in that 3rd, got the momentum back for 'em.

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dwight' s tech issue "somehow" creates a window from Cleveland to make an "unlikely" comeback. Cleveland wins Game 5 at home in a squeaker with Dwight getting another phantom tech. Now he's out and Cleveland has a chance in Game 6, with a convenient Game 7 in Cleveland looming. 

Love how the announcers tried to big up Mo early, "Oh, he's getting into a rhythm with these free throws. He's being real aggressive." Dude was MIA when it mattered. A gutless wonder.

Interesting how LeBron was like "If I was Rashard Lewis, we would've won the game." The NBA analysts (Webber & Barkley especially) ate Dirk Nowitzki alive for saying Denver's role players could guard him, talking about how a star should not compare themselves to or say they can be guarded by lesser players. Now I didn't get to watch all the postgame (rain took out my cable), but I'll bet no one keyed in on that quote from LBJ.

Everyone on the Magic had the right attitude in the postgame. Finish it tomorrow.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 27, 2009 -> 07:07 AM)
There's actually a rumor going around that Nelson is going to play in the Finals if we make it there. And considering AJ's abysmal backup play so far (-9 today on court), I'd be for it, considering how clutch of a shooter Nelson is in the 4th, which is another weakness of ours.
That "rumor" was started by Jameer Nelson himself.

And deaded very quickly by Magic GM Otis Smith as soon as it left Jameer's lips.

“He’s a long way away and he just started shooting last week,’’ Smith said. “He was done for the season in February and that hasn’t changed. Right now he’s having a hard enough time playing (pick-up) against (athletic trainer) Keon (Wise). It’s about his future. If it was up to him he’d play, but it’s not up to him. He’s moving good, feeling good and looking good, but that’s playing against air.’’
http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...NGNEWS/90521045

Shaq to the Bulls as a 1 year stop gap wouldn't be a bad thing. Get us out from under Deng's crappy deal. Just leery about him in the locker room. Straight diva.

So how many is the Mamba gonna have tonight? I think he's gonna bring his A game and really take it to Dahntay Jones especially.

Edited by Ron

QUOTE (Ron @ May 27, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
Great win by Orlando last night. Love how Dwight just manned up in OT and put the team on his shoulders. Alston definitely brought his A game, saved them early in that 3rd, got the momentum back for 'em.

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dwight' s tech issue "somehow" creates a window from Cleveland to make an "unlikely" comeback. Cleveland wins Game 5 at home in a squeaker with Dwight getting another phantom tech. Now he's out and Cleveland has a chance in Game 6, with a convenient Game 7 in Cleveland looming. 

At least for now you can put the conspiracy theory to rest, Dwight Howard had his technical foul rescinded by the league