Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
But Lebron doesn't exactly have the Bad Boy Pistons or the late 80's Celtics or the Showtime Lakers standing in his way right now.

With all due respect to what Orlando has done in this series, Jordan's Bulls teams where he played by himself would have taken care of them.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gasol played 21 minutes in the first half and has 4 points.

Are they not getting the ball to him at all or is he still acting so tentative and taking a few seconds to allow the doubleteam to show up every time he gets the ball.

Shaq would be awesome. Not only would it give us an expiring contract for 2010, but it would give us a solid big man and more importantly get rid of Deng's albatross of a contract. Plus, I just love Shaq.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 27, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
Neither could Jordan.

That's obvious. But let's keep in mind that the Bulls were something like 30-0 in series in which they had the HC advantage during the Jordan era (I.E. they never lost to a team they shouldn't have lost to). And this isn't aimed at you, but I don't want to hear any of this crap of how all of a sudden Lebron doesn't have a supporting cast. You can play that card with D-Wade. The Cavs won 66 games. They went 39-2 at home. They won their first 8 playoff games by an average of 15 PPG or whatever it was. That wasn't all Lebron. Everything had been peaches and cream for them all season long. And when KG went down, it was all but assumed they had the east wrapped up. Now that they've been challenged, they've just about crumbled. And that falls on Lebron just as it does Mike Brown, their coaching staff and the other players. It's easy to look like a great leader when you're winning. True leadership comes when you can survive adversity, turmoil, ect. Doesn't look like Lebron is quite there yet.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 27, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
That's obvious. But let's keep in mind that the Bulls were something like 30-0 in series in which they had the HC advantage during the Jordan era (I.E. they never lost to a team they shouldn't have lost to). And this isn't aimed at you, but I don't want to hear any of this crap of how all of a sudden Lebron doesn't have a supporting cast. You can play that card with D-Wade. The Cavs won 66 games. They went 39-2 at home. They won their first 8 playoff games by an average of 15 PPG or whatever it was. That wasn't all Lebron. Everything had been peaches and cream for them all season long. And when KG went down, it was all but assumed they had the east wrapped up. Now that they've been challenged, they've just about crumbled. And that falls on Lebron just as it does Mike Brown, their coaching staff and the other players. It's easy to look like a great leader when you're winning. True leadership comes when you can survive adversity, turmoil, ect. Doesn't look like Lebron is quite there yet.

But but but but,LeBron is better than Jordan,don't you know that??

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 27, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
And this isn't aimed at you, but I don't want to hear any of this crap of how all of a sudden Lebron doesn't have a supporting cast. You can play that card with D-Wade. The Cavs won 66 games. They went 39-2 at home. They won their first 8 playoff games by an average of 15 PPG or whatever it was. That wasn't all Lebron. Everything had been peaches and cream for them all season long. And when KG went down, it was all but assumed they had the east wrapped up. Now that they've been challenged, they've just about crumbled. And that falls on Lebron just as it does Mike Brown, their coaching staff and the other players. It's easy to look like a great leader when you're winning. True leadership comes when you can survive adversity, turmoil, ect. Doesn't look like Lebron is quite there yet.

Preach! Preach!  :notworthy

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 28, 2009 -> 12:37 AM)

I disagree.

We can all look at what it takes for a good supporting cast. His supporting cast has some talent as seen over the course of 82 games. Fine. His supporting cast also have balls the size of ant s*** when it comes down to the playoffs or pressure situations. Please do not overlook that his supporting cast have been no shows during this series when the pressure is ON. It's all gravy when you are up 15-20 games in the weak Central div/Eastern conf, but when the pressure is on EVERYONE but Lebron has hid in the line of fire. That includes Mike Brown. Wade had Pat Riley, Kobe and MJ both had Phil Jackson in the huddle. Big difference. Kobe and Wade had Shaq and MJ had Pip. I'm not debating about who had better talent, this post is about pressure situations and the lack of iron balled players and coaches. Cleveland can go 82-0, but if they blow this, BLOW THEM up. Get rid of MO,Delonte,Z everyone. They are losers. Get rid of them or Lebron will be gone, guaranteed. (which is a good thing as a bulls fan. I still think it will be NY vs Chi in the LBJ23 Sweepstakes aka Bigger Market vs Better Team. What will be more important to Lebron? )

In this series I have seen:

Lebron hit 2 miracle clutch shots, average 42/7/7 shoot 50% while double and triple teamed. Also while MO Williams is getting every open shot in the world and still only shooting 32%.

I'm not sure why Dwight is getting so many dunks , but someone better wrap him up and send him to the foul line. Mike Brown is a moron for not figuring that out so far. The combo of Big Zzz/sideshowbob better not be afraid to foul hard. Even if that means taking one for the team by fouling out.

And Rock. You are nuts. MJ's "All MJ" teams would have gotten swept by this inside/outside Orlando squad. Especially if you mean pre Pippen days.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 28, 2009 -> 01:14 AM)
And Rock. You are nuts. MJ's "All MJ" teams would have gotten swept by this inside/outside Orlando squad. Especially if you mean pre Pippen days.

Yeah...you're gonna have to back this one up.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 28, 2009 -> 01:14 AM)
I disagree.

We can all look at what it takes for a good supporting cast. His supporting cast has some talent as seen over the course of 82 games. Fine. His supporting cast also have balls the size of ant s*** when it comes down to the playoffs or pressure situations. Please do not overlook that his supporting cast have been no shows during this series when the pressure is ON. It's all gravy when you are up 15-20 games in the weak Central div/Eastern conf, but when the pressure is on EVERYONE but Lebron has hid in the line of fire. That includes Mike Brown. Wade had Pat Riley, Kobe and MJ both had Phil Jackson in the huddle. Big difference. Kobe and Wade had Shaq and MJ had Pip. I'm not debating about who had better talent, this post is about pressure situations and the lack of iron balled players and coaches. Cleveland can go 82-0, but if they blow this, BLOW THEM up. Get rid of MO,Delonte,Z everyone. They are losers. Get rid of them or Lebron will be gone, guaranteed. (which is a good thing as a bulls fan. I still think it will be NY vs Chi in the LBJ23 Sweepstakes aka Bigger Market vs Better Team. What will be more important to Lebron? )

82 regular season games, 8 playoff games > this series

His cast has struggled this series. Yes. That's doesn't mean he doesn't have a supporting cast. That's all I'm saying. When Odom, Gasol and Fisher went retarded in the finals last year, I didn't hear anybody saying "Kobe has no help." They were blaming Kobe for the most part.

And while Lebron's overall numbers are great (it helps when you've gone to the FT line over 60 times in 4 games), he's not exempt. He shot 11/28 in game 3 (1/8 from 3). And he was turning the ball over at a crazy ass rate in the 4th quarter of game 4 and OT.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 28, 2009 -> 02:47 AM)
82 regular season games, 8 playoff games > this series

His cast has struggled this series. Yes. That's doesn't mean he doesn't have a supporting cast. That's all I'm saying. When Odom, Gasol and Fisher went retarded in the finals last year, I didn't hear anybody saying "Kobe has no help." They were blaming Kobe for the most part.

And while Lebron's overall numbers are great (it helps when you've gone to the FT line over 60 times in 4 games), he's not exempt. He shot 11/28 in game 3 (1/8 from 3). And he was turning the ball over at a crazy ass rate in the 4th quarter of game 4 and OT.

82 GAMES, 8 playoff games

His cast has struggled when it counts. That means he has no supporting cast when it counts. When Odom and co. went retarded I never blamed kobe. It was the big 3 vs the big 1 and 3/4ths. I never blamed Kobe. Anyone who did last year does not know basketball.

Lebron's numbers are great even though he went to the line at a high rate (just like all superstars, right or wrong. Namely Mjeff.) So he should be as close to exempt as Peyton Manning losing a shootout to Tom Brady 48-45. They are down 3-1 DESPITE Lebron. Lebron was turning it over at a crazy rate. It doesn't help when you have teamates fumbling passes like Rashied Davis. It also does not help when you have to deal with the other teams gameplan focused only on you, because you play with a bunch of heartless stiffs.

I can recall quite a few MJ playoff duds* where he was bailed out by Kukoc,Pippen or even Bison Dele to name a few.

*Michael Jordan never had a bad game when compared to the average NBA player. "Dud" is only used to point out the games that were below his norm. ;/

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 28, 2009 -> 02:11 AM)
82 GAMES, 8 playoff games

His cast has struggled when it counts. That means he has no supporting cast when it counts. When Odom and co. went retarded I never blamed kobe. It was the big 3 vs the big 1 and 3/4ths. I never blamed Kobe. Anyone who did last year does not know basketball.

So if Buehrle, Contreras, Garcia and Garland had gone a combined 0-4 with an ERA of 8 in the '05 World Series would that mean they weren't a great staff? World Series > 162 games and two rounds of playoffs?

Lebron's numbers are great even though he went to the line at a high rate (just like all superstars, right or wrong. Namely Mjeff.) So he should be as close to exempt as Peyton Manning losing a shootout to Tom Brady 48-45. They are down 3-1 DESPITE Lebron. Lebron was turning it over at a crazy rate. It doesn't help when you have teamates fumbling passes like Rashied Davis. It also does not help when you have to deal with the other teams gameplan focused only on you, because you play with a bunch of heartless stiffs.

I know they're great. I just don't think he's blameless. As if he's played 4 flawless games. You've seemed to make up your mind that Lebron will be absolved of any blame whatsover if the Cavs lose this series. I obviously don't agree.

I can recall quite a few MJ playoff duds* where he was bailed out by Kukoc,Pippen or even Bison Dele to name a few.

*Michael Jordan never had a bad game when compared to the average NBA player. "Dud" is only used to point out the games that were below his norm. ;/

I don't need to be reminded that #23 (the real #23) had bad playoff games and series. The topic was Lebron and the Cavs.

I just look at Cleveland 's supporting cast, and to me, the only addition they made was obviously Mo Williams, who's a guy who's never delivered in the playoffs before, and now he's making all these guarantees.

Orlando has a better bench (Pietrus for one has done a fantastic job guarding Pierce and James and knockin down 3's in the post-season), and Alston has argubly been better than Williams so far.

If the Cavs are going to have any chance of winning the series, they need Mo Williams to be the player he was during the regular season.

I don't see that happening.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 28, 2009 -> 06:10 AM)
I just look at Cleveland 's supporting cast, and to me, the only addition they made was obviously Mo Williams, who's a guy who's never delivered in the playoffs before, and now he's making all these guarantees.

Orlando has a better bench (Pietrus for one has done a fantastic job guarding Pierce and James and knockin down 3's in the post-season), and Alston has argubly been better than Williams so far.

If the Cavs are going to have any chance of winning the series, they need Mo Williams to be the player he was during the regular season.

I don't see that happening.

Clevelan'd supporting cast is as good as any in the league. People are just making excuses for Lebron. Maybe if he hit a few more of his free throws they would have won that last game. Lord knows the refs are giving him enough freebies.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
Clevelan'd supporting cast is as good as any in the league. People are just making excuses for Lebron. Maybe if he hit a few more of his free throws they would have won that last game. Lord knows the refs are giving him enough freebies.

This may be your worst post since joining soxtalk.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 28, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)
Yes, AJ, we know Lebron can do no wrong in your world. Seriously, though, he's got plenty of help.

I'm an old school type of fan who can appreciate a once in a generation player at an early age. That help has disappeared against Orlando. That help can't even send Dwight to the foul line. That help is good help during non pressure situations, but they are all showing their true colors now. The greedy bulls fan in me wants the Cleveland ship to sink . I'm convinced the Bulls will be a major player for Lebron. The supporting cast in Chicago thrives on Pressure.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 28, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
I'm an old school type of fan who can appreciate a once in a generation player at an early age. That help has disappeared against Orlando. That help can't even send Dwight to the foul line. That help is good help during non pressure situations, but they are all showing their true colors now. The greedy bulls fan in me wants the Cleveland ship to sink . I'm convinced the Bulls will be a major player for Lebron. The supporting cast in Chicago thrives on Pressure.

But where would he play? :huh

;)

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 28, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)

Pretty much. We play up (or down) to our competition. When you have a guy like LeBron, you could get away with playing flat against a cheap team during the season because a guy like LeBron could kick it into 5th gear in the 4th and win you a game. In the playoffs when you are playing the top competition, everyone on the Bulls suddenly player better and with a guy like LeBron, he could be a major helper. No one can convince me Mo Williams is a better 2nd option than Ben Gordon. In fact, I'd take almost every rotation player on the Bulls over anyone on Cleveland. With that said, LeBron ain't coming here.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 28, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
With that said, LeBron ain't coming here.

You know something we all don't know, or is this just assumption?

Logic tells me that with open salary space the Bulls have:

1. #3 Market

2. Derrick Rose

3. Good role players

It will be between CLE, NY and Chicago. Book it.