Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 09:15 PM)
WOW! Derrick Rose!

He has looked awesome the past few games. There is no reason he shouldn't start right away. He and Ben Gordon can be a terrific offensive combination together, however, they will probably get scored upon at will. That's the one thing about he and Gordon playing together, both are 6-3 and bad defensively, so it's not an ideal combination. Even if the Bulls are a so-so team, it is going to be awesome to watch Rose mature into a top PG.

Rose has some amazing hops! Still im curbing my enthusiasm just a bit... he was going against the Mavs' second stringers pretty much the whole 4th Quarter.

There was a lot to be impressed with though, especially that shot from the baseline that gave the bulls the lead. I was worried that Rose couldn't hit a jumper, for at least one night he proved he can.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)
It's really inexcuseable how many minutes Rose played tonight. He looked fantastic though.

In a preseason game? Seriously?

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 09:16 PM)
it should be T.T.I.D :lolhitting

You are correct sir, I forgot the periods he put between the words

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 06:23 AM)
Rose has some amazing hops! Still im curbing my enthusiasm just a bit... he was going against the Mavs' second stringers pretty much the whole 4th Quarter.

There was a lot to be impressed with though, especially that shot from the baseline that gave the bulls the lead. I was worried that Rose couldn't hit a jumper, for at least one night he proved he can.

Rose was going up against Jajuan Smith on some of those plays, who is a sensational defender.

Edited by fathom

Went to the Knicks vs. Celtics last night.

New York's roster is just horrible. Hilarious seeing Malik Rose and Zach Randolph jack up 3 pointers in D'Antoni's offensive system.

I went with a group of buddies, and we went down from the mezzanine to the floor level for the 2nd quarter. They caught us out though, but we played the whole "We're from overseas haven't been here bf" card, and they didn't kick us out.

Oh and KG is even more of an ass than I imagined.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 07:57 AM)
In a preseason game? Seriously?

He's going to play much more basketball this year than he ever has in his life as it is. To play him 37 and a half minutes in a game that doesn't even count is asinine, you should be doing as much as you can to keep him fresh, especially during the preseason. He played 10 more minutes than anybody else on the team last night, stupid.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
He's going to play much more basketball this year than he ever has in his life as it is. To play him 37 and a half minutes in a game that doesn't even count is asinine, you should be doing as much as you can to keep him fresh, especially during the preseason. He played 10 more minutes than anybody else on the team last night, stupid.

Well...here's the other way of looking at it...he's going to go from playing 40 games last season to 82-90 games this season to hopefully pushing 100+ games in the next couple seasons.

This isn't like a baseball pitcher where they're doing something that is unnatural to their body and if they do it too much their shoulder might break down. Push him until he hits the wall, then let him work through the wall.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 12:28 PM)

I misinterpreted your comments, I thought you were saying he needs to play more. I agree completely, carry on

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
Well...here's the other way of looking at it...he's going to go from playing 40 games last season to 82-90 games this season to hopefully pushing 100+ games in the next couple seasons.

This isn't like a baseball pitcher where they're doing something that is unnatural to their body and if they do it too much their shoulder might break down. Push him until he hits the wall, then let him work through the wall.

Well it's not unnatural, but it's still exhausting. He's going to play in twice as many games this season than last (at least, maybe more if they make the playoffs) and you have to be very careful in my opinion. By this time in 2010, I think the minutes thing won't be an issue since he'll still be in his early 20's and have two NBA seasons under his belt, but I've seen enough first and second year guys hit the wall in the NBA that I just would prefer to see more prudent use of Rose.

If they are playing him 37 minutes in the preseason, I worry it'll be 47 during the regular season, and as much as they need Derrick on the floor, you could just grind him into the ground that way. Last night is especially bad too since it does nothing to prepare him for the season considering it was a preseason game, and most of the guys on the floor in the 2nd half for both sides were reserves/scrubs.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
If they are playing him 37 minutes in the preseason, I worry it'll be 47 during the regular season, and as much as they need Derrick on the floor, you could just grind him into the ground that way. Last night is especially bad too since it does nothing to prepare him for the season considering it was a preseason game, and most of the guys on the floor in the 2nd half for both sides were reserves/scrubs.

If I was planning on a title run this year I'd agree with you.

I just think that grinding him in to the ground this season isn't a bad thing, because it will set him up better to be stronger at the end of the year in future seasons when he is leading us on title run after title run after title run.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
If I was planning on a title run this year I'd agree with you.

I just think that grinding him in to the ground this season isn't a bad thing, because it will set him up better to be stronger at the end of the year in future seasons when he is leading us on title run after title run after title run.

I'm not really worried about wearing Rose down. He is like 20 years old and has been playing ball, all year round, for at least the past 6 years.

Obviously, the NBA is a whole different level, but I don't think you be careful with him. Let him play.

What the f*** is wrong with Neil Funk? The man has absolutely no energy on the TV broadcasts, he sounds depressed. As if watching Bulls basketball wasn't bad enough now you have a play by play guy who doesn't seem into the game at all, like he doesn't even want to be there. Thank god for Derrick Rose.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 12:24 PM)
Larry Hughes is out 6-8 weeks.... is that a bad thing?

If they used Hughes for mainly defensive stops against bigger guards it would be. As long as he takes >10 shots a game for every 25 mins he plays, then I don't want him on the court.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
If they used Hughes for mainly defensive stops against bigger guards it would be. As long as he takes >10 shots a game for every 25 mins he plays, then I don't want him on the court.

In other words, if he turned in to Thabo Sefalosha?

Larry Hughes has absolutely no business on the active roster, so this injury is a blessing in disguise. I kind of hope it lingers and they end up buying him out, but instead they'll throw him back out there when he's healthy and keep him on the roster as a "bargaining chip" for a major trade that never comes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)
In other words, if he turned in to Thabo Sefalosha?

exactly. Like zoom said, no point of him even being on the roster. But I have to disagree with him having NO trade value. I think any expiring contract would have trade value. But, he won't be a free agent until the summer of 2010. (there's that number again) ;)