Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
exactly. Like zoom said, no point of him even being on the roster. But I have to disagree with him having NO trade value. I think any expiring contract would have trade value. But, he won't be a free agent until the summer of 2010. (there's that number again) ;)

He'll obviously have trade value once his contract gets closer to expiring, but I have zero faith in the Bulls actually MAKING a deal for a star player that would make having Hughes' $13 mil salary on the books worth it. I'm not even sure who we would target, the big name players I can think of that would be available don't make a ton of sense unless Utah thinks they're going to lose Boozer (and that would require giving up actual talent) or possibly Michael Redd. Guys like AI, Carter and Marion don't really make a whole lot of sense for money, age and/or position reasons.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 04:57 PM)
He'll obviously have trade value once his contract gets closer to expiring, but I have zero faith in the Bulls actually MAKING a deal for a star player that would make having Hughes' $13 mil salary on the books worth it. I'm not even sure who we would target, the big name players I can think of that would be available don't make a ton of sense unless Utah thinks they're going to lose Boozer (and that would require giving up actual talent) or possibly Michael Redd. Guys like AI, Carter and Marion don't really make a whole lot of sense for money, age and/or position reasons.

what about keeping Hughes and let his deal expire in 2010 and sign one of those Big Free agents?

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
what about keeping Hughes and let his deal expire in 2010 and sign one of those Big Free agents?

The problem is, I'm not sure that even Hughes's expiring deal gets us far enough under the cap to really make a run at Wade if we're still holding Hinrich and Nocioni and Deng. Especially if we somehow resign or replace Gordon.

You have to turn Hinrich/Noc in to an additional expiring contract to really make a LBJ/Wade run.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
The problem is, I'm not sure that even Hughes's expiring deal gets us far enough under the cap to really make a run at Wade if we're still holding Hinrich and Nocioni and Deng. Especially if we somehow resign or replace Gordon.

You have to turn Hinrich/Noc in to an additional expiring contract to really make a LBJ/Wade run.

I don't really think that's the case unless my math is off. Unless I'm mistaken, the cap will be somewhere between $60 and $65 mil. For the purposes of this discussion I'm going to assume that they let Gordon walk and renounce Simmons' rights rather than make the $3.7 mil qualifying offer (obviously if they re-sign Gordon things change drastically, but I digress). The salaries work out like this for 2010/11:

Hinrich- 9 mil

Deng- roughly 11.4 mil

Nocioni- 6.85 mil

Rose- 5.55 mil option

Noah- 3.2 mil option

Thomas- 6.3 mil qualifying offer (cap hold)

Thabo- 3.8 mil qualifying offer (cap hold)

That comes out to just over $46 mil for those 7 players, so if the cap is around $63 mil (it seems to go up about $2 mil every year and was at about $59 mil this year), then it's pretty close to being able to offer him $17 mil for the first year, and that's the only one that matters for cap purposes. They'd probably have to release some scrubs and/or renounce Thabo's rights, but they can make a competitive offer even without unloading Hinrich or Noc. However, it's obviously easier if they move one of those two, and JR would have to go WELL into luxury tax territory. Re-signing Gordon would basically kill any chances, but that seems unlikely at this point.

Edit- Crap, I forgot to factor in 1st round picks for each of the next two seasons, which could be quite a chunk of change depending on where the Bulls end up (assuming they keep the picks of course). That's probably at least $5 mil and could be close to $10 mil if the Bulls really suck or get lucky again. Alright, I concede, unloading Hinrich or Noc would be necessary (that or renouncing Tyrus, which seems unlikely), though that will be easier with both deals being front-loaded.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 09:51 PM)
Bulls showing some fight tonite. Specifically Kirk Hinrich vs Richard jefferson

Good. Bulls need to work on that trade value.

edit:

Just looked at the box score. Hinrich has 21 pts, 8 assists and 7 turnovers. That really offsets anything positive he has done in the game so far.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 25, 2008 -> 08:37 AM)
Hinrich has always been partially handicapped on the Bulls. Put him with the right personel and your talking about a very valuable player. All Star, absolutely not, but above average, certainly.

I've always thought Hinrich would be an ideal #3 guy on a team with a dominant scoring guard. Put him next to Wade, or Kobe, or TMac, somewhere that he doesn't have to generate shots for people but where he can help out by being the solid guard defender that gives the big name guy a break on the defensive end, and he'd be in the perfect role.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
I've always thought Hinrich would be an ideal #3 guy on a team with a dominant scoring guard. Put him next to Wade, or Kobe, or TMac, somewhere that he doesn't have to generate shots for people but where he can help out by being the solid guard defender that gives the big name guy a break on the defensive end, and he'd be in the perfect role.

Exactly, give him a team with a good big and scoring guard and you are talking Hinrich up as a very good player. He could be very much what Manu was (obviously in a different position) to Duncan and Parker. Obviously Manu has more ability than Hinrich at this point though.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 07:43 PM)
Hinrich and Gordon looked VERY unhappy during introductions, lol.

Not sure why Gordon would be upset. Didn't play all pre-season.

I like the taller backcourt that Del Negro is trying tonight with Thabo.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 07:48 PM)
I covered Rose in high school. So weird seeing him in a Bulls uni.

yeah, I saw him play a bunch in H.S. It's strange to think that less than two years ago I was watching him in High School.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 07:54 PM)
The only concern about Rose is he seems like he's always going to be dinged up. Reminds me a lot of Baron Davis in that regard.

Free throw shooting as well.