Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
The logic here would be pretty simple. Al Harrington has a 2010 expiring contract worth just under $10 million a season. If you can move either Preferably Hinrich or alternatively Nocioni in a deal for him, suddenly we're holding 2 different big 2010 expiring contracts worth $25 million or so, in addition to Gooden's this season worth $7 mil. Nocioni and Hinrich have deals that run a couple years longer. Move one of them for an expiring contract, and suddenly there's the space under the luxury tax to sign Gordon if that's how you want to spend the money...or alternatively you're $20 million or so under the salary cap after 2010 and you have the money available to make a max run at D-Wade.

We'd still have to go into luxury tax territory for next season regardless if they did that since Harrington actually makes more money than Kirk. Considering that they could already be under that threshold in 2010 with Hughes and Gooden coming off the books (something like 36 mil in committed salaries/options that are likely to be picked up not counting Gordon or extensions to Tyrus and Thabo, but the luxury tax rate will be close to $75 mil by then) I don't think that really changes the thinking at all.

His contract definitely has value in 2010, but for basketball reasons that deal sucks. Hinrich is the only other player on the roster capable of playing the point, he has an actual role on the team. I don't know what the heck they'd do with Harrington, to me it's basically like adding another Larry Hughes. Sure, he has some ability, but we already have Deng, Tyrus and Nocioni at the forward spots. Taking minutes away from those 3 does nothing for me, he doesn't really add anything new to the team other than another forward that needs minutes. Yes, he's a bit better than Nocioni, but he fills essentially the same role and won't/shouldn't take any minutes from Deng and Tyrus. Sure, he has some ability, but we don't really need four 30-minute type forwards.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)
Im hesitant to trade Kirk at this point. He is a perfect 2nd team PG and looked like he had more energy than recent seasons. I was hoping Kirk would blossom being on the second unit and get close to the Kirk of old that used to carry this team.

I agree, he seems invaluable off the bench.

Who the hell backups the point if he's gone? Larry Hughes? Thabo Sefolosha?

No thanks... unless they include a Marcus Williams then I just don't see it working for us.

Edited by Steve9347

Mully and Hanley were discussing Kirk this morning. They were saying how great it was this year because when Rose comes out, you have a more than capable backup PG in Hinrich, whereas last year when Kirk went out Gordon was handling the point. If Kirk goes in this deal, then you see the same thing, Gordon coming off the bench to play point. Yikes.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 09:58 AM)
Im hesitant to trade Kirk at this point. He is a perfect 2nd team PG and looked like he had more energy than recent seasons. I was hoping Kirk would blossom being on the second unit and get close to the Kirk of old that used to carry this team.

We may be hesitant to trade Kirk because of the role he fills, the backup point guard...but I have a simple response to that...you're paying him $11 million a year to be a backup point guard. In a capped league, that just isn't practical over anything but the shortest terms.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
We may be hesitant to trade Kirk because of the role he fills, the backup point guard...but I have a simple response to that...you're paying him $11 million a year to be a backup point guard. In a capped league, that just isn't practical over anything but the shortest terms.

Well to be honest, he is more than just the backup. He is insurance against injury as well as the rookie wall. As a plus, if Kirk goes back to what he once was, he is a decent back court partner with Rose against teams with smaller guards. He is a bit overpriced, but he is a pretty valuable asset mostly because of the drop off behind him in that role.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
Well to be honest, he is more than just the backup. He is insurance against injury as well as the rookie wall. As a plus, if Kirk goes back to what he once was, he is a decent back court partner with Rose against teams with smaller guards. He is a bit overpriced, but he is a pretty valuable asset mostly because of the drop off behind him in that role.

His deal is also back-loaded, so his salary is 10 mil this season and decreases to 9.5/9/8 the next 3 years, so it gets more tolerable. Considering how many mediocre-to-poor players out there are making 6 mil or more that's not too bad at all. The only problem is they're also paying Noc 7 mil a year to be a backup and Hughes 13 mil to take up space.

Besides, in the deal in question we'd be picking up a 10 mil backup forward for this year and the next, where you actually have 3 viable options already that are making around 20 mil combined, so you're not really making any progress. Any benefit Harrington brings is entirely related to the potential cap benefits in 2 more years, I would think we can do better than that once the 10 mil a year portions of Kirk's contract are gone.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
yuck

Miller actually had a pretty decent season last year, with 13.4 points and 9.5 boards.

Still Sacramento wouldn't want Hinrich's contract I would imagine, and they have Udrih and Martin in the backcourt already.

But the Bulls aren't going to cut it in the East with Gooden, Noah, Gray and Thomas at the PF/C in the East against the Dwight Howard's, Kevin Garnett's etc.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
Man, when are the Grizz on TV? I cant wait to see Mayo, Gay and Conley run the break.

Well i'd guess since just about everyone else plays tonight and there's a free week of NBA league pass...you could watch em run the break tonight.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 05:08 PM)
Miller actually had a pretty decent season last year, with 13.4 points and 9.5 boards.

Still Sacramento wouldn't want Hinrich's contract I would imagine, and they have Udrih and Martin in the backcourt already.

But the Bulls aren't going to cut it in the East with Gooden, Noah, Gray and Thomas at the PF/C in the East against the Dwight Howard's, Kevin Garnett's etc.

Sorry. No way bulls would do that deal. No one would trade a 27 year old guard with a front loaded contract for a 32 year old big man. It would not be that different from when we brought in Antonio Davis or PJ Brown. Like I said, Yuck.

Watching on the free preview for league pass, Curry getting boo'd out of MSG at intro's. I don't even know half the names on the Knicks roster.

MSG announcers so excited about Duhon. Ha Ha.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 06:36 PM)
Watching on the free preview for league pass, Curry getting boo'd out of MSG at intro's. I don't even know half the names on the Knicks roster.

Curry hasnt really endeared himself to fans with his effort, in Chicago or New York

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)
I can't figure out how to watch games on NBA.com, how do you do it? I'm at NBA League Pass TV right now but can't figure it out.

I've never been able to get video from NBA.com, only free audio through them. IF there's a video option you might have to purchase it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)

MSG announcers so excited about Duhon. Ha Ha.

Knicks are currently up 17 on the Heat in the late 3rd. Crawford has 23. Curry and Marbury have not entered the game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 08:26 PM)
I've never been able to get video from NBA.com, only free audio through them. IF there's a video option you might have to purchase it.

They have a free trial running right now of the league pass so you can watch any game. It's pretty sweet.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 10:53 AM)
Mully and Hanley were discussing Kirk this morning. They were saying how great it was this year because when Rose comes out, you have a more than capable backup PG in Hinrich, whereas last year when Kirk went out Gordon was handling the point. If Kirk goes in this deal, then you see the same thing, Gordon coming off the bench to play point. Yikes.

Kirk is going to be great off the bench. He'll get tons of minutes playing the 1 when Rose is sitting and he'll play the 2 at times with Rose as well. I really really like the depth in this back-court. I'd say Hughes needs to go but Gordon could be the odd man out since he is going to be gone at the end of the season. The problem is Gordon is the only shooter in the Bulls back-court (although Hinrich is also a legit 3 point shooter, but not with the frequency of Gordon). I'm excited for Friday's game. The Bulls will lose but it should be a great early test.

I also want to see a lot of Tyrus Thomas this season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)

But really he is much more than that. He's a starting caliber PG coming in off the bench and a starting caliber SG coming in off the bench.