Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love when people call LeBron and Kobe cocky. They are the two best players in the world, they have every right in the world to be as cocky as they choose.

Very ill statement man, NBA probably out of all sports (only maybe football) is the most touching to the kids. When you are an NBA star you are a role model. Kobe/Lebron are 2 of the biggest role models in america/world right now. Lebron being cocky means kids on courts will be cocky meaning their will be more fights because cockyness leads to fights. I have alot more respect for kobe. I dont necessarily think lebron is a terrible guy or anything, i think hes just having a bit of fun, but i think that statement is kinda whack.

I mean, we don't see the elite construction workers being cocky now do we? :P.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 11:51 PM)
Very ill statement man, NBA probably out of all sports (only maybe football) is the most touching to the kids. When you are an NBA star you are a role model. Kobe/Lebron are 2 of the biggest role models in america/world right now. Lebron being cocky means kids on courts will be cocky meaning their will be more fights because cockyness leads to fights. I have alot more respect for kobe. I dont necessarily think lebron is a terrible guy or anything, i think hes just having a bit of fun, but i think that statement is kinda whack.

I mean, we don't see the elite construction workers being cocky now do we? :P.

I hate to do this, but I believe I am about to quote Kid Rock (I'm really not white trash, trust me). I believe he once said "I ain't cocky mother f***ers, I just back it up". Now, I certainly see the point you are trying to make here and it is likely valid, but I just think that if you are that good, you can be an arrogant ass if you want to.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 11:01 PM)
Gooden shot 4/13 from the floor and logged 40 minutes.

Tyrus and Noah together logged about 24 minutes, and Gray logged 2.

In other words, for more than half the game, we had a small lineup on the floor.

There was a good article on Yahoo the other day about Del Negro basically using an European Style offense, and guys like Thomas and Deng are struggling because they're forced to hoist up way more jump shots instead of slashing to the rim.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 08:38 AM)
There was a good article on Yahoo the other day about Del Negro basically using an European Style offense, and guys like Thomas and Deng are struggling because they're forced to hoist up way more jump shots instead of slashing to the rim.

The lame excuse used in yesterday's trib was that they're struggling because they have to clear the lane for Rose to penetrate and have to settle for jumpers, which is throwing Deng off his game because he cannot slash as he excels in doing that.

The truth is they're just not very good and need to work harder instead of making excuses. Deng is especially pissing me off as pax threw so much damn money at him. Rose is the Bulls and the rest need to realize that and adjust accordingly.

Actually, I think the bigger thing with Deng is that he's used to coming off of curls and pin-downs to create space for him in/near the paint and either slashing or shooting from there. Generally by the time he catches the ball he's already open, that hasn't happened much this year. So far he's mostly been getting the ball either in the corner or at the top of the key and is forced to either try to drive himself or shoot a long jumper, neither of which are strengths. Deng is a pretty good player, but he's not good enough to consistently create/force his own shot like that on a regular basis and succeed. He's adjusting to getting his opportunities in a different way and is rushing things a bit with poor results. I suppose you could argue that they're not running that to make room to penetrate like you said, but you can still have him flash into that area once a possession and give Rose plenty of opportunities to drive.

I'm not really trying to make that sound like an excuse, a player with his skill set should produce regardless, but the team isn't taking advantage of his ability to get shots with his movement off the ball and that isn't helping. That said, I do think he'll eventually be fine once he adjusts to the new system and playing with Rose, though the rough patch may not quite be over yet.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 10:49 PM)
Um, no, he's nowhere near the athlete and isn't as skilled. He had one great game, but he doesn't have the talent to be much more than about a 10-8 guy.

There's a reason why he broke Arvydas Sabonis' spanish league records. He's very skilled, maybe not as athletic, but he's also bulkier and uses his size. He's less finesse than Pau.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 11:07 PM)
I disagree. Memphis will give him plenty of opportunities to be a 18-12 guy.

Said the guy who just nabbed him in fantasy.

If Gasol does better than 10/8 this year, I'd be shocked. He's had one good game this year.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)
There's a reason why he broke Arvydas Sabonis' spanish league records. He's very skilled, maybe not as athletic, but he's also bulkier and uses his size. He's less finesse than Pau.

Just because he excelled overseas doesn't mean he's going to be a star over here, much like how dominating in college doesn't guarantee NBA success either. Luis Scola was a great international player too, you don't see him throwing up 20-10 on a regular basis. Some guys have all of the physical tools to continue their high level of play in the NBA like Manu and Rudy Fernandez, others don't. There's quite a difference in talent level in the NBA, he's AT BEST the third best player on a very bad Grizzlies team over here. He doesn't suck by any means, but it takes a lot more to be an elite level NBA player. He just doesn't have the foot speed/agility, shooting range, low post scoring (he's decent but not stellar) or leaping ability to be a dominant NBA player, things that his brother has. He's a lot more of a grinder at the NBA level than a guy that wins because he's that much better than everyone else. Look at every game he's played in the pre-season and regular season thus far and that 27-16 game sticks out as an extreme outlier. That's after numerous years as a professional in Europe as well, he improved his game considerably to even become this productive. I'm not saying he can't be productive or that I wouldn't want him on my team, but it's HIGHLY unlikely that he as an All-Star game in his future or makes as big an impact as his brother.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

If Del Negro really is using a European style offense (and it has looked that way so far), then damn that was a stupid hire. This is an absolutely AWFUL jump shooting team, outside of Deng if he's wide open (and only 20 feet in) and Gordon if he's on a hot streak. Square peg, meet round hole.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
If Del Negro really is using a European style offense (and it has looked that way so far), then damn that was a stupid hire. This is an absolutely AWFUL jump shooting team, outside of Deng if he's wide open (and only 20 feet in) and Gordon if he's on a hot streak. Square peg, meet round hole.

What are you talking about, we have been a jump shooting team ever since we traded Curry. Moreso than not that got us into the playoffs and even into the 2nd round, you must have been watching a different team all these years.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
The lame excuse used in yesterday's trib was that they're struggling because they have to clear the lane for Rose to penetrate and have to settle for jumpers, which is throwing Deng off his game because he cannot slash as he excels in doing that.

The truth is they're just not very good and need to work harder instead of making excuses. Deng is especially pissing me off as pax threw so much damn money at him. Rose is the Bulls and the rest need to realize that and adjust accordingly.

I think how good Rose looks compared to the rest of these guys speaks volumes.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
What are you talking about, we have been a jump shooting team ever since we traded Curry. Moreso than not that got us into the playoffs and even into the 2nd round, you must have been watching a different team all these years.

Yeah I have, and they are a bad jump shooting team. That's why they have had a bad offense for several years, obviously. They won those few good years with rebounding and defense, the offense had NOTHING to do with it, at all.

As for tonight, no idea where that came from but it was fun to watch.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 10:53 PM)
Yeah I have, and they are a bad jump shooting team. That's why they have had a bad offense for several years, obviously. They won those few good years with rebounding and defense, the offense had NOTHING to do with it, at all.

As for tonight, no idea where that came from but it was fun to watch.

Thats completely wrong but whatever, we have always been out-rebounded because we have never had a true C, not even a real PF either. Jump shooting has its up and downs but thats true no matter who you have out there playing that style. Until we get a true C though or even a PF, nothing we can do about it. One guy we should look at in my opinion is Wilcox, Thunder given where they are at should be interested in trading him.

I got a chance to see Robin Lopez start for the suns last night... he looks like a legit big man, very active around the rim, pretty athletic.

Derrick Rose will be an NBA all-star... that's the first time I've said that about a Bulls player (since MJ), and wasn't being overly optimistic.

Hinrich out about 2-3 months.

Chicago Bulls guard Kirk Hinrich was examined on Saturday by Dr. John Fernandez, and Bulls team physician, Dr. Brian Cole, both of Rush University Medical Center. The results of that exam confirmed the earlier MRI which showed a torn ulnar collateral ligament of his right thumb. The injury will require surgery, which will be performed on Tuesday, Nov. 11 at Rush.

Hinrich may be out as long as 12 weeks following his surgery. The injury occurred in the third quarter of Friday's Bulls win over Phoenix. On the year, Hinrich has appeared in six games and averaged 8.3 ppg, 4.0 apg, 1.8 rpg and 1.33 spg in 24.5 mpg.

Great now we definitely can't trade any of these guards. Ugh. What a s***-tastic offseason for Pax - yeah, we got Rose and that's great, but Pax gets no credit for that as you could not possibly have f***ed up the gift-wrapped #1 pick.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 10:06 PM)
Thabo is terrible...Cavs made that big run in the 4th when he was out there making dumb decision after dumb decision. Does he have more fouls than points this season?

That 2006 draft that so many were high on is developing into an absolute piece of cow dung.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)

Bulls had the worst FG% last year. Outside of Ben, no one is really a good shooter on this team. Maybe Noc and that's it. You could get away with non-slashers who shoot 3's or shooters who don't slash, but you can't get away with non-shooters who don't slash which is what Deng and Thabo have become.

Btw, from a Bulls board, after 10% of the season being done:

Almost 10% of the way through the season, and there are exactly 5 players in the NBA scoring more frequently than BG. They are:

Tony Parker

Lebron James

Dwayne Wade

Kobe Bryant

Danny Granger