Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 06:44 PM)
Bulls had the worst FG% last year. Outside of Ben, no one is really a good shooter on this team. Maybe Noc and that's it. You could get away with non-slashers who shoot 3's or shooters who don't slash, but you can't get away with non-shooters who don't slash which is what Deng and Thabo have become.

Btw, from a Bulls board, after 10% of the season being done:

Last year was the first season we werent very successful though, so looking at those stats are misleading when judging a team. Plus like previously mentioned no matter if we had 5 of the better shooters in the game, with no post game your FG% is going to be worse than most other teams. Also Ben Gordon does get 2 much hate on this board, but he can be frustrating as hell to watch too, when he over dribbles its pretty brutal.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, someone tell me how to get ahold of John Paxson.

Now that Marcus Camby (double-figure rebounding last two games) is nearing full strength, the 1-6 Clippers are open to a rational market trade for Chris Kaman who has battened down their middle for five seasons and is owed $43 million over four seasons. Sources say Charlotte has no one of consequence Los Angeles desires. Gerald Wallace has no appeal. Mike Dunleavy has been there, done that with Corey Maggette, and solemnly swears by Al Thornton. Therefore, the search is on for a team prepared to deal an extraneous or unwanted macho forward to augment Camby; moving Cutino Mobley ($8.9M/$9.5M) in the process or in a side deal would be cause for great celebration by the Staples Center's stepchild.

The backup plan is to pursue lesser lights like the Nets' Sean Williams. Judging by the 6-10 sophomore's lack of daylight, he's someone the Nets feel they can do nicely without. -- New York Post

Seriously, we'll take your terrible Mobley contract, here's Drew Gooden, Tyrus Thomas, and Andres Nocioni, you send us Chris Kaman and Mobley.

They'd do it, and the Bulls should do it. Why does Pax make such an easy job so hard these days?

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 07:07 PM)
Rather not give up Deng also, but with the contract he just signed they wouldn't want him.

If the clippers offered Kaman for Deng it would be a no brainer. The Bulls need a legit big in the worse way. Kaman is a top 10 C and only 26.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)
If the clippers offered Kaman for Deng it would be a no brainer. The Bulls need a legit big in the worse way. Kaman is a top 10 C and only 26.

Unfortunately, the deal for those 2 straight up would be impossible this year, because Deng is a Base year compensation player (BYC) and thus only like 1/2 of his salary counts in any sort of deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 07:46 PM)
Unfortunately, the deal for those 2 straight up would be impossible this year, because Deng is a Base year compensation player (BYC) and thus only like 1/2 of his salary counts in any sort of deal.

I realize that. It was more as a hypothetical perspective.

Definitely give up what they want for Kaman, he's a great fit. I don't think we can really send them Gordon either besides the previously mentioned BYC for Deng though, IIRC he would have to waive his bird rights for that to happen, which isn't too likely.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
Definitely give up what they want for Kaman, he's a great fit. I don't think we can really send them Gordon either besides the previously mentioned BYC for Deng though, IIRC he would have to waive his bird rights for that to happen, which isn't too likely.

Gooden as cap space and then one of the young bigs works. But I'm not sure about what that does in terms of pushing the Bulls over the Luxury tax line (If we're not going in to the luxury tax, that would guarantee we couldn't sign Gordon by adding Kaman's contract next year - we wouldn't be able to add anything next offseason without hitting the tax).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 06:25 PM)
Gooden as cap space and then one of the young bigs works. But I'm not sure about what that does in terms of pushing the Bulls over the Luxury tax line (If we're not going in to the luxury tax, that would guarantee we couldn't sign Gordon by adding Kaman's contract next year - we wouldn't be able to add anything next offseason without hitting the tax).

Considering that the team supposedly (if you believe Gordon and his agent) withdrew an offer in the neighborhood of 5-50 that would have kept them under the projected luxury tax unless my math is off (56 commited, the luxury tax was 71 mil this year and usually goes up about 4 mil a year), I don't think they're strongly considering bringing him back. Even if they were, the trade adds roughly 6 mil to the payroll with or without adding Noc and Mobley, so assuming that they didn't pick up Simmons' option would give them at least $7 mil to work with under the tax and probably closer to $11 mil given the general rate of increase of the cap/luxury tax. Plus after 2010 they'd have an extra 9.8 mil coming off the cap with Mobley's contract. Either way they're not going to have enough money under the salary cap to add a significant player whether they do the trade or not, they would only have the mid-level exception.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I wonder if Shawn Marion and DQ Cook would interest the Clippers for Kaman, and Mobley.

Seems to be a good deal for both sides. Marion is an expiring contract that can play the PF spot as well, they would get rid of Mobley's contract and DQ Cook can be the SG of the future if Maggette moves on.

Heat get a center which they desperately need and another body that could handle the ball and score.

PG. Chalmers/Banks/Quinn/Livingston

SG, Wade/Mobley

SF, Beasley/Wright/Diawara

PF, Haslem/Beasley

C, Kaman/Blount

That's a potential 3-4 seed in the East, and still young. Clippers still have a good team this year and free up a ton of space next year.