Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

In my view Memphis has been one of the biggest offenders of late, they clearly have no intention of winning games any time soon. Boston in the pre-KG year was pretty bad as well, it was nice to see neither of them get the pick they wanted.

They really need the lottery in the NBA a lot more than in the other sports because one bonafide superstar can have a massive impact on their win total and players tend to produce far earlier. It'd be chaos without it, just imagine what would have happened in the Lebron year or how much worse it would have been the last two seasons.

On a side note, how mediocre does the 2007 draft look so far? It was theoretically supposed to be one for the ages, but Oden has barely seen the floor and will need time to shake off the rust, Durant is virtually just throwing up points in garbage time every game, and arguably the most productive player in the draft so far is a 10-9 big in Al Horford. I guess there's some pretty good depth with Young, Hawes, Chandler and Fernandez all playing well so far, but the top of the draft hasn't been as strong as expected.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 11:12 AM)
No, but the bottom 5 teams or so, the ones who are already out of the playoffs...we already see them racing for the bottom by shutting people down at the end of the year. I really don't want to see that get worse.

Ok again Im not really following you. I said all non-playoff teams should get equal chance at the top pick. How does that have anything to do with getting worse, Teams would play harder because they have nothing to gain by losing. No team will tank games to miss playoffs.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
In my view Memphis has been one of the biggest offenders of late, they clearly have no intention of winning games any time soon. Boston in the pre-KG year was pretty bad as well, it was nice to see neither of them get the pick they wanted.

They really need the lottery in the NBA a lot more than in the other sports because one bonafide superstar can have a massive impact on their win total and players tend to produce far earlier. It'd be chaos without it, just imagine what would have happened in the Lebron year or how much worse it would have been the last two seasons.

On a side note, how mediocre does the 2007 draft look so far? It was theoretically supposed to be one for the ages, but Oden has barely seen the floor and will need time to shake off the rust, Durant is virtually just throwing up points in garbage time every game, and arguably the most productive player in the draft so far is a 10-9 big in Al Horford, with two late-lotto guys in Young and Hawes being in the team picture.

Just think now if Boston hadn't of ended up with the #5 pick and got Durant or Oden instead, they wouldn't of traded for KG or Allen I would have thought (well probably not Allen, KG still a distinct possibility), and they probably don't end up winning the championship last season.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
There's no question that we need an NBA Lottery... it's great.

I have no problem with the draft lottery, I have a problem with the fact that it's been pretty blatently fixed on more than one occasion. Hell, even the very first one was fixed.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)
Derrick Rose stats through the first 10

18.9 PPG

5.6 APG

82% from the free throw line.

He is a f***ing stud in the making,just needs to cut down on his TO which he leads the team with 2.50 a game.

I think assists to turnovers is a more important statistic.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?s...mp;seasontype=2

He is 36th, which is not bad for a 19 year old rookie pg. Btw, Nash is 33rd.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
Right now does Rose, Mayo or Fernandez win ROY?

Rose and it's not even close. Mayo has been scoring, as has Fernandez, but Rose has been no slouch in scoring either while leading an offense and amassing a decent amount of assists.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 08:54 AM)
He is a f***ing stud in the making,just needs to cut down on his TO which he leads the team with 2.50 a game.

2.50 is amazing for a rookie playing nearly 40 minutes a game and handling the ball as much as he does.

The great Dwyane Wade has average nearly 4 or more his entire career.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
Rose and it's not even close. Mayo has been scoring, as has Fernandez, but Rose has been no slouch in scoring either while leading an offense and amassing a decent amount of assists.

Well Mayo is averaging more points than Rose, and argubly runs their offense also considering how bad Mike Conley has been thus far.

Still his A/TO ratio certainly needs work.

I think Rose is just on top, but I think Mayo could certainly win when it's all said and done.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)
2.50 is amazing for a rookie playing nearly 40 minutes a game and handling the ball as much as he does.

The great Dwyane Wade has average nearly 4 or more his entire career.

Thats true,I think I was going more by what I have seen.Maybe Iam being hard on him but I think he is going to have to tighten up his game to be considered one of the elite.Mind you it is just the first 10 games for a 19 year old kid and he is much further along then I would have expected him to be.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 12:11 PM)

On a side note, how mediocre does the 2007 draft look so far? It was theoretically supposed to be one for the ages, but Oden has barely seen the floor and will need time to shake off the rust, Durant is virtually just throwing up points in garbage time every game, and arguably the most productive player in the draft so far is a 10-9 big in Al Horford. I guess there's some pretty good depth with Young, Hawes, Chandler and Fernandez all playing well so far, but the top of the draft hasn't been as strong as expected.

How is Memphis an offender? Because they traded away Pau? They made it clear what they wanted for him and got that from LA. Marc Gasol has been impressive. They suckered(though it probably didn't take much) Minnesota into taking Mike Miller and Kevin Love for OJ Mayo who is a stud in the making, they have a pretty good player in Rudy Gay, and a developing player in Darrell Arthur. I don't see how you say Memphis is trying to tank.

Well Orlando is 8-3 now, and just going along with their business nicely.

Pietrus has proved to be a solid addition, and the Magic still easily beat the Raps last night with Redick playing 30+ minutes.

Would still like another backup big who's an upgrade on Foyle and can actually spell Dwight, but the Magic are up against the tax.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
Well Orlando is 8-3 now, and just going along with their business nicely.

Pietrus has proved to be a solid addition, and the Magic still easily beat the Raps last night with Redick playing 30+ minutes.

Would still like another backup big who's an upgrade on Foyle and can actually spell Dwight, but the Magic are up against the tax.

In a thread filled with Bulls fans, complaining about bigs when you have Dwight Howard on your team is NOT going to fly well. :lolhitting

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
In a thread filled with Bulls fans, complaining about bigs when you have Dwight Howard on your team is NOT going to fly well. :lolhitting

Touche.

I'd love to have Battie's off the books (6-7M for the next 2 seasons), so I'm hoping a team that wants to clear cap space would love to have that contract before the 2010 off-season.

If only Fran Vazquez decided to come over.

And the Ariza for Cook and Evans doesn't really look good from our perspective now. Safe to say, Cook's definitely in SVG's doghouse.

Actually I wonder if Miami would be interested in a Battie deal with Redick going over also, for Haslem + something, and the Magic throwing in a 1st rounder?

Would help them clear cap-space to re-sign Wade in 2010.