Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
Tyrus has been a double double machine lately. Noah is a good rebounder. Limits the other team to one shot.

Trade value keeps rising at the most opportune time for both. As much as I think Tyrus or Noah could flourish as a pure defender with Amare, I would still give both up for him.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)
Trade value keeps rising at the most opportune time for both. As much as I think Tyrus or Noah could flourish as a pure defender with Amare, I would still give both up for him.

without a doubt.

Tyrus looks good (besides having 5 TO's) but he just doesn't have the inside presence that Amare does, and I don't see him ever getting that comfortable in the post.

Amare is 26 and will still be in his prime when Rose reaches a level of stardom.

If Tyrus and/or Noah can help you get Amar'e, he or they was or were worth drafting after all in hinsight. I would prefer to see Noah part of the deal and Tyrus stay, and even keeping Noah and trading Tyrus is better than giving up both, but if you have to give up both to get Amar'e, you do so and don't look back. You do whatever it takes to get Amar'e outside of giving up Rose obviously, but I am starting to think Tyrus might be turning a corner. He had a nice stretch later in his rookie season if I recall correctly, but he's never had a stretch this long of playing this well. You better be SURE Amar'e will sign here long term and stick around before you make the trade though, and by sure I mean 100 percent sure.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)
Wow, VDN and Tyrus have really gotten their act together. Rose-Gordon-Deng-Tyrus-Noah have a lot of potential to do great things with each other, which is part of the reason why i hesitate over an Amare deal.

Pax got to you too? :P

I just don't see it personally, this is the same team that lost 5 in a row not that long ago and has looked inept for most of the year. They're not exactly beating amazing teams during this stretch either. We've said this same thing in the past and that's how we got to this point. Amare would be a massive upgrade and help make life a lot easier for Rose.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (rangercal @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 02:02 AM)
crap

Good news from Brian Hanley:

Rose hit his head on the elbow of 6-9, 245-pound Antonio McDyess, who set a pick on a Pistons inbound play with 10.6 seconds left. Rose was in visible pain and complained of a sore neck but said he was fine after the game.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketball/...-bull11.article

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)
So apparently Rose was crying on the bench after getting hit in the face?

he ran fullspeed into Antonio McDyess's shoulder on a moving screen. you could tell he didnt even brace himself, I was worried he got a concussion when I saw him crying.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 09:24 PM)
It's my life was an odd/inappropriate choice... choosing "knockin on heaven's door" would have been worse.

MJ gained some weight, it makes me sad.

I said they same thing when I saw his pregame interview. He might have put on 50 pounds since his days with the Bulls.

Everyone is talking about what a farce it is Red Kerr isn't in the HOF. The even bigger farce is that the Bulls waited until now to honor him for all he's done for the franchise. Why is his name not up in the rafters with Krause and Jackson and the players?

As for MJ's weight, he is considerably heavier than he was when he played. He occassionally works out in my health club and I've seen him a few times. If he was not famous, you wouldn't think he was heavy. He was in such premium shape when he played, he will look heavy if he's just normal.

I think that this hot streak of Tyrus’s has come at the right time. We can cash in on it. If we don’t make the move, we’re going to hate it for years as Tyrus goes back to being Tyrus. He’s a streaky player, this is the best hot streak he’s ever had and it’s right before the deadline!

Not trading him now to get a 4 time All-Star inside scorer who is only 26 would be a catastrophic mistake.

per Sporting News

Blazers reportedly making play for Stoudemire

The latest trade rumor involving Phoenix Suns forward Amare Stoudemire is indeed a juicy one: The Portland Trail Blazers reportedly are offering forward LaMarcus Aldridge and guard Jerryd Bayless as part of a package for the young star.

CBSSports.com, citing "a person with direct knowledge of the talks," reported Tuesday that Portland also would deal big man Raef LaFrentz and his expiring $12.7 million contract.

If that's true, I don't see anyone matching an offer involving that contract, Aldridge, and Bayless. Nor should anyone try, that's way too much to give up.

Edited by Steve9347

Ummm wow is all I'll say to that.

Steve Kerr has GOT to pull the trigger on that deal.

I wonder if Portland have just soured on Aldridge or something?

Maybe they think next to a great defensive center in Oden, Amare can be the offensive force and will spread the floor more for shooters like Roy and Fernandez.

If Phoenix get Bayless, I also try to deal Nash for something before he bolts for the Knicks in 2010.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
Ummm wow is all I'll say to that.

Steve Kerr has GOT to pull the trigger on that deal.

I wonder if Portland have just soured on Aldridge or something?

Maybe they think next to a great defensive center in Oden, Amare can be the offensive force and will spread the floor more for shooters like Roy and Fernandez.

If Phoenix get Bayless, I also try to deal Nash for something before he bolts for the Knicks in 2010.

Stoudamire supposedly can't play with Shaq because Shaq is on the block in his way. Wouldn't Oden present the same problem?

I hope the Knicks waste their money on Nash in 2 years. He'll be a fossil.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
Stoudamire supposedly can't play with Shaq because Shaq is on the block in his way. Wouldn't Oden present the same problem?

I hope the Knicks waste their money on Nash in 2 years. He'll be a fossil.

Nash will probably take less than the MLE to play for D'Antoni and in his home town.

As this season showed, in any other system, Nash is just an above average player at best.

Amare can't play with Shaq because Shaq demands the ball in the low post and the offense now revolves around him.

Oden wouldn't present that problem. Oden should just concentrate on his defense, rebounding and picking up the scraps.

If McMillan could motivate Stoudemire proficiently, Portland would become an instant contender with this move.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
Nash will probably take less than the MLE to play for D'Antoni and in his home town.

As this season showed, in any other system, Nash is just an above average player at best.

Amare can't play with Shaq because Shaq demands the ball in the low post and the offense now revolves around him.

Oden wouldn't present that problem. Oden should just concentrate on his defense, rebounding and picking up the scraps.

If McMillan could motivate Stoudemire proficiently, Portland would become an instant contender with this move.

I read some quotes from Stoudamire implying he couldn't use pick and rolls for easy points because Shaq was down low in the way.

I've also read Portland's interest is a bunch of hot air.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)

Huh? Isnt Nash Canadian?

Portland and Amar'e: Let's just be real clear: Portland will listen to any offer Phoenix wants to throw their way. They probably listened when Phoenix threw out the idea of Raef LaFrentz's contract, rookie point guard Jerryd Bayless, forward LaMarcus Aldridge, and possibly picks or draft rights for Stoudemire and maybe some change. General Manager Kevin Pritchard would not be doing his job if he did not listen.

However, to characterize any talks as anything with some depth into the process runs contrary to what we have heard from our sources in Portland. Giving up all of that for Stoudemire, not being sure if Stoudemire even fits what Portland wants to do, is asking a lot in midseason as the Trail Blazers prepare for their first playoff run in what seems like a lifetime.

Stoudemire is a very good player, but there are things he does not do Aldridge does very well. Most of those things are defensive. Aldridge is better on rotating to give help in the post, he has improved his physical one-on-one post defense, and he's also a willing passer. Aldridge also has more range on his jumper, though Stoudemire has gradually widened his range every season.

Bayless is also seen as the most likely long-term starter for the Trail Blazers at the point guard position, much more likely than Steve Blake or Sergio Rodriguez. Even if we assume Stoudemire is a better player than Aldridge, that means Portland is giving up what amounts to possibly two starters for one, not solving it's point guard situation, not finding a solid backup power forward, and being out of cap space to find free agents with – other than a median level exception deal – for what could be a very long time.

In short, receiving Stoudemire would kill Portland's flexibility and not address their actual needs. How exactly does that make sense from Portland's perspective? Power forward is not a position of need for them, and Aldridge has great chemistry on offense with Brandon Roy and defense with Greg Oden.

What about for the Suns? If this deal was on the table they would be, um, silly to not pull the trigger. Think about that. Not only do they get a comparable power forward that may actually fit better next to Shaquille O'Neal, but they also get a long-term replacement at the point guard position for Steve Nash – plus salary cap relief for this season.

No matter what you read about this trade, think of this: If it were truly on the table and Portland had presented it, don't you think it would be a done deal by now? And since it's not, doesn't that logically tell you all you need to know about this scenario?