Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaq flopped against Howard last nite. :D

Quite sad that Shaq had to resort to all of this trash talk about Howard before last night's game also, talking about how many championships he's won etc.

Of course that's going to be the case Shaq, Dwight's only 23 and you're 37.

Difference of Opinion in Chicago: A couple days ago Chicago Bulls General Manager John Paxson voiced his thoughts on star rookie point guard Derrick Rose's lack of playing time in the fourth quarter to a radio show. He made it clear Coach Vinny Del Negro should be getting Rose as much time as possible in all situations, even if that meant failing sometimes.

Del Negro told K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune that who plays is completely up to him, insinuating that maybe it doesn't matter to him what Paxson says.

"I'll make decisions on the team on what I see fit for players and when they should play and when they don't," Del Negro said. "I know my players better than anybody. Derrick is going to be out there in the fourth quarter. Everyone is going to be held accountable defensively.

"If I feel there's an advantage for us to do certain things in the fourth quarter, those are the decisions I have to make as the head coach. And I'll make them."

This plays into the classic dilemma for a coach of an improving team: play to win or play for the future? Coaches always feel like they should win games, but management will sometimes want the long-term approach. Problems arise when the two don't trust the balance each other has set. In this instance it seems pretty clear Del Negro believes he needs to win games to keep his job and doesn't think losing a game here and there because of possible rookie mistakes – even if said rookie learns from them – is acceptable.

Is he out and out contradicting Paxson? Not 100%, but they seem to have slightly different interpretations of what is going on. And coaches can only go on how they interpret their relationship with management and if they trust management.

If the two are sending mixed messages and playing games in the media, that's usually not a good sign – for the coach. He's the one who gets replaced.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
Would a win give us the 8 seed?

The Bulls and Bucks are statistically tied for the 8th spot, although the Bucks have played 2 more games. Whoever wins on Friday moves 1 game ahead. New Jersey is 1/2 game back.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
Anybody notice that Joakim Noah has been a rebounding fool the last 15 games or so?

I took a quick look at this and can confirm it, as Noah has 150 rebounds since February 1st (and that includes a 1 rebound game to start the stretch on February 3rd against Houston), a span of 15 games. Good to see him hitting the glass, and it was good to see the Bulls playing well last night.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 06:13 AM)
I took a quick look at this and can confirm it, as Noah has 150 rebounds since February 1st (and that includes a 1 rebound game to start the stretch on February 3rd against Houston), a span of 15 games. Good to see him hitting the glass, and it was good to see the Bulls playing well last night.

This summer, someone needs to take Noah's weed, go to the weight room, figure out what amount Noah is doing on various machines and hide his weed under an extra 20 lbs, so that he has to actually work hard in the summer to earn his weed (and not come to camp out of shape where it takes him 2 months to get his body back). If Towlie can learn that lesson, I think Noah can.

This summer, someone needs to take Noah's weed, go to the weight room, figure out what amount Noah is doing on various machines and hide his weed under an extra 20 lbs, so that he has to actually work hard in the summer to earn his weed (and not come to camp out of shape where it takes him 2 months to get his body back). If Towlie can learn that lesson, I think Noah can.

Brilliance. Balta for Coach.