Hamilton

southsider2k5

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 28, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
has he every played a full season without injury, drug abuse aside? I think he'll be on the DL soon.

Well, like prior to 2002, prior to his drug abuse, I think he did, but that was back when he was just out of high school, so it really tells you nothing. He's had 1.25 seasons since coming back from the drug problems, one of which was spent partially injured. No idea how his conditioning now compares to last year, but it's highly likely it's improved since his body is farther removed from its problems.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 23, 2008 -> 07:26 AM)
I first read about his tribulations in an ESPN.com magazine article like 4 years ago. Something about the fallen hero. He was still addicted and everything. He's one of the best stories and an inspiration to anyone with substance abuse issues.

I remember the article. I used to hope that he'd get clean and the Sox would take a chance on him. Either way, I'm glad he's making the most of his second chance. It's really sad when people get hooked on drugs and throw away their lives.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)
And he's 6th in AL OF voting. :wacko:

He needs to be in CF, Quentin in LF, and Maggs in RF. But no, everyone wants to see Vlad and Ichiro.

Let me guess- Bonds is on the ballot??

Seen you in a couple threads and just want to say Welcome Aboard!!!

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)
And he's 6th in AL OF voting. :wacko:

He needs to be in CF, Quentin in LF, and Maggs in RF. But no, everyone wants to see Vlad and Ichiro.

Let me guess- Bonds is on the ballot??

Looks like the fans have noticed...

Rangers' Hamilton surges to second in voting for AL outfielders

ESPN.com news services

Texas Rangers center fielder Josh Hamilton, the American League leader in home runs with 15 and RBIs with 63, has surged to second place this week among AL outfielders in announced voting results for the 2008 All-Star Game.

Hamilton, who stood in sixth place in last week's results, went 14-for-34, batting .412 with two homers in the week beginning Sunday, May 18.

Hamilton was also first in the AL with 77 hits and slugging at .613, and was third in batting average at .328, with Hideki Matsui (.330) of the Yankees and Magglio Ordonez (.329) of the Tigers leading the league.

Boston's Manny Ramirez led AL outfielders in voting, while Matsui had yet to crack the top 15 and Ordonez was sixth.

The Rangers (29-29), who stood in third place in the AL West, five game behind the Angels entering Monday's games, were able to dig out of an early season hole by going 19-10 in May -- the first time the team has won 19 games in a month since June 1983.

Hamilton was a big part of the May success, hitting eight homers with 29 RBIs in the month.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 01:10 AM)
He's the most gifted all around baseball player I've ever seen, and all things considered, it's not even close. He could have been one of the all time greatest had he never had the problems he dealt with. Hell, even now, he STILL could end up one of the all time greatest.

Did ESPN get to you too? Cmon now, I understand all he has been through and the great statistics he has put up thus far -- but a possibility of best ever? Only into his second season.....at age 27?! He'll have to begin by inflating that .910 OPS over 1.200 at some point. Better not leave Arlington. Also, he'll have to be producing at this level far into his 30's; since he missed a good portion of his 20's enjoying the lure of sweet, sweet drugs.

If you were to compare his first two offensive seasons with those of other players he'd stack up well (still not among the greatest though -- Ted Williams and Lou Gehrig, for example, had better first two seasons), but it's tough to ignore his age. If you assume, like most players, that it takes several seasons to reach their potential -- then he should be reaching his prime around 30/31. Again, I'd question his longetivity at this point. Especially patrolling the OF. Maybe a hall of famer if everything goes right, but until he summons the ghost of Babe Ruth I'm not thinking of anything more of him.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 03:02 AM)
Did ESPN get to you too? Cmon now, I understand all he has been through and the great statistics he has put up thus far -- but a possibility of best ever? Only into his second season.....at age 27?! He'll have to begin by inflating that .910 OPS over 1.200 at some point. Better not leave Arlington. Also, he'll have to be producing at this level far into his 30's; since he missed a good portion of his 20's enjoying the lure of sweet, sweet drugs.

If you were to compare his first two offensive seasons with those of other players he'd stack up well (still not among the greatest though -- Ted Williams and Lou Gehrig, for example, had better first two seasons), but it's tough to ignore his age. If you assume, like most players, that it takes several seasons to reach their potential -- then he should be reaching his prime around 30/31. Again, I'd question his longetivity at this point. Especially patrolling the OF. Maybe a hall of famer if everything goes right, but until he summons the ghost of Babe Ruth I'm not thinking of anything more of him.

He hasn't even played a full season yet. Kinda hard to compare his first two seasons to the greats when he hasn't even had two full seasons yet.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 22, 2008 -> 06:51 PM)
Right now I'd put that over under at 125 and probably take the over. I was down in Texas last week and saw this kid first hand. I personally think he's the most talented player in all of baseball when considering all facets of the game.

He hit a ball that was still going up as it got to the 2nd deck.

He runs like a deer in the outfield and can get to any ball.

His speed on the basepaths is ridiculous.

Seriously, he's amazing.

Yeah, my over still looks like an easy win... and my feelings that he's the most talented all-around player in baseball remain unscathed.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 04:02 AM)

You apparently aren't a master of reading comprehension. I've only been watching baseball since about 1993, first of all. And second, by "most gifted all around baseball player I've ever seen", I don't mean best. At all. My statement means he is simply the most talented and gifted all around player I've ever seen. Talent, even great talent, sometimes goes to waste, as per example with what almost happened to Josh Hamilton. But in terms of the combination of speed, power, arm strength, outfield range, and bat control, I've never seen anybody as gifted and skilled at all of those things combined as Josh Hamilton. Griffey and Bonds circa 1996 or so would be close of course. Then again, 15 years is a small sample size, and Hamilton has about a dozen years of production he'd have to put in before he IS an all time great. I'm just saying with his ability, there is no reason outside of injury or relapse to say he won't reach that level, even with his late start on a major league career.

The man missed three full seasons of baseball from 2002-2005, and about 80% of a fourth in 2006, and came back and put up a .922 OPS in the majors last season after never playing in the majors before that in his life. Not many guys in baseball history could do that. Then again, maybe the many veteran scouts who have seen many more great players than I have in person and still say Hamilton is the most gifted player they've ever seen have all had "ESPN get to them" too. It's clear you have some sort of pessimism towards a story like this, and have things against people who have fought off demons and mistakes in their life, and that's ok. But it doesn't change how good Josh Hamilton is as a player.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
You're disaparaging the great name of Ken Griffey Jr. The baseball gods frown upon you.

He's my 2nd favorite player of all time behind Frank, and he's the most accomplished all around player (if not player in general) I've ever seen by far when you take into accout the five tools, ability, his accomplishments in almost every category in his career, and the fact that a cheating whore like Barry Bonds doesn't count. But in terms of just raw, all around ability, he didn't have anything on Josh Hamilton. However, Josh has a long way to go before his production catches Griffey, and thanks to his late start combined with Griffey's early one, it obviously never will.

Edited by whitesoxfan101