2. 2. Do you buy beans

• Already Ground
    • Whole and Grind Fresh
    • Whole, Roast, and Grind

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ May 23, 2008 -> 01:28 PM)
The problem is NO ONE gets a regular coffee at Starbucks because they suck unless you are getting there specially made stuff.DD regular coffee tastes great and doesnt need that extra flavor.

I get regular coffee at *$ all the time, I like extra strong coffee like that. And a large at DD where I work costs 1.97 with tax, though I have seen it somewhat more expensive by 10-20 cents at other DD's.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 23, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
I get regular coffee at *$ all the time, I like extra strong coffee like that. And a large at DD where I work costs 1.97 with tax, though I have seen it somewhat more expensive by 10-20 cents at other DD's.

Same here. In fact, I don't think I've bought anything BUT drip at Starbucks in years.

I wasn't really trying to start anything, just saying that, to me, "old school" coffee should cost a buck or less. You still find that at some local donut shops, but not really anywhere else.

And I like both DD and Starbucks coffee (although I rarely buy any coffee now, just use my coffeemaker 98% of the time).

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 23, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
Same here. In fact, I don't think I've bought anything BUT drip at Starbucks in years.

I wasn't really trying to start anything, just saying that, to me, "old school" coffee should cost a buck or less. You still find that at some local donut shops, but not really anywhere else.

And I like both DD and Starbucks coffee (although I rarely buy any coffee now, just use my coffeemaker 98% of the time).

I had the coffee angels smiling down on me yesterday when i went into Starbucks to get a venti regular coffee and the machine was broken so I got an espresso Americana for the same price.

At home, if I want to take the time my favorite café Cubano is either Pilon or Bustello or, better still, the premium (silver) Italian Cafe Kimbo, espresso grind in the foil pack (a friend from Naples sends it). All of those are brewed a cup at a time in a stove top espresso pot, and if I'm doing Cubano I'll add the sugar to the espresso pot for authenticity. if I'm short on time I'll do Pilon instant espresso, which makes a passable drink.

I loves my coffee.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 23, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
I had the coffee angels smiling down on me yesterday when i went into Starbucks to get a venti regular coffee and the machine was broken so I got an espresso Americana for the same price.

At home, if I want to take the time my favorite café Cubano is either Pilon or Bustello or, better still, the premium (silver) Italian Cafe Kimbo, espresso grind in the foil pack (a friend from Naples sends it). All of those are brewed a cup at a time in a stove top espresso pot, and if I'm doing Cubano I'll add the sugar to the espresso pot for authenticity. if I'm short on time I'll do Pilon instant espresso, which makes a passable drink.

I loves my coffee.

The hardcore coffee guy...

Cafe Bustelo isn't bad stuff, though I just go with Folgers. I drink more like Tex, six cups or so at a time. I can't do one cup. When I can find good, fresh Kenyan coffee at a decent price, that makes my week. But it's a rarity.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 23, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)

That's pretty much all I get there (and the classic coffee cake, which is awesome). I think the venti will top out at about 1.98, but the DD is bigger.

I will point out up front I am a hypocrite for the next statement. I have said that people should not have to speak English to work in America and I stand by that. Likewise, consumers in America should be allowed to speak any language they want. But, to require customers to use any description other than small, medium, large, and extra large should be boycotted.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 23, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)
I will point out up front I am a hypocrite for the next statement. I have said that people should not have to speak English to work in America and I stand by that. Likewise, consumers in America should be allowed to speak any language they want. But, to require customers to use any description other than small, medium, large, and extra large should be boycotted.

I'm bi-lingual when it comes to coffee ordering! I went out with a girl who was a barista and they are insane about it, so I got into the habit. It drives my father INSANE!!! He refuses to order anything but S, M, L.

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ May 23, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
How can Stewert's not be part of the discussion? If course I heard the commercials on the Score, and when a local store here finally stocked it, I gave it a try. That is some good no-nonsense coffee right there.

SFF

You're right. In my old office that is what was brewed and it was very good.

I typically buy beans from a local corner cafe (The Common Cup) in Rogers Park. They have Intelligentsia coffee; I like most of their beans. I have them grind it up for me.

I don't mind Starbuck's; I think they have some good coffee (and I actually drink their plain coffee as opposed to their candy-bar-in-a-cup drinks), but I try to support local businesses instead of corporations when I can.

I was never a fan of Dunkin Donuts coffee. I found it weak and too reliant on dumping tons of sugar in there.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 23, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
I'm bi-lingual when it comes to coffee ordering! I went out with a girl who was a barista and they are insane about it, so I got into the habit. It drives my father INSANE!!! He refuses to order anything but S, M, L.

Yeah, why when I go through a Starbucks drive thru, and want a "small" black coffee, I have to specify a "tall" black coffee?

QUOTE (Balance @ May 23, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
I typically buy beans from a local corner cafe (The Common Cup) in Rogers Park. They have Intelligentsia coffee; I like most of their beans. I have them grind it up for me.

I don't mind Starbuck's; I think they have some good coffee (and I actually drink their plain coffee as opposed to their candy-bar-in-a-cup drinks), but I try to support local businesses instead of corporations when I can.

I was never a fan of Dunkin Donuts coffee. I found it weak and too reliant on dumping tons of sugar in there.

The place by me, Moonbeans is almost a classic coffee shop. Kind of dumpy, but clean. They've been dicking people around with their internet connections, free, free with purchase, free with purchase of pastry, charging everyone, etc. that I boycotted for a solid 6 days.

• 2 weeks later...

I worked at 'bucks for a year.

I usually get the darkest stuff I can find at Trader Joe's. Their French Roast runs about $5 or $6.

Beyond espresso, which is the best there is, the way you make coffee can make a big difference. I grind the beans same day and use a French press (plunger pot).

QUOTE (easyw @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 07:28 AM)
I worked at 'bucks for a year.

I usually get the darkest stuff I can find at Trader Joe's. Their French Roast runs about $5 or $6.

Beyond espresso, which is the best there is, the way you make coffee can make a big difference. I grind the beans same day and use a French press (plunger pot).

Yep, you can't beat a french press. However, if you do use a drip coffee maker, you get the best flavor if you actually brew only 6 ounces of coffee from every two tablespoons of grounds as recommended. Most folks add a lot more water but that causes the flavor in the grounds to be overextracted, which worsens the taste. Of course for most folks, this may be waaaaay too strong, but the solution is to add more water to the coffee after brewing. I usually just take the used filter out of the maker and run plain water through the machine to get it to the strength I prefer.

SFF

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 12:27 PM)
Isn't Turkish coffee that coffee that has a whole lot of strength and a whole lot of sugar?

Yes on the strength, but sugar is optional, eg, versus Cuban coffee in which it is integral in the preparation of the drink.

The biggest distinction between Turkish cofee and other strong espresso coffees is that the ground roast beans are boiled directly in a pot of water, rather than using pressure to force the water through a bed of espresso grind. That means there will be a lot of coffee dregs that need to settle out - some in the pot and the rest in the cup.

The grind for Turkish is also extremely fine – moreso than with typical espresso.

i mix it up a lot. some days i grind the beans, others i don't.

i've always liked starbucks, particularly their stronger blends. although really you can't go wrong with the house blend.

if it's a typical week and i'm a bit low on ends, i'll probably go with eight o'clock bean colombian roast beans.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
Yes on the strength, but sugar is optional, eg, versus Cuban coffee in which it is integral in the preparation of the drink.

The biggest distinction between Turkish cofee and other strong espresso coffees is that the ground roast beans are boiled directly in a pot of water, rather than using pressure to force the water through a bed of espresso grind. That means there will be a lot of coffee dregs that need to settle out - some in the pot and the rest in the cup.

The grind for Turkish is also extremely fine – moreso than with typical espresso.

100% correct. Well done.

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
Turkish Coffee

hmm, might have to try this...

That is cool info, thanks. I remembered there being quite a bit to the technique, but I never realized it was originally cooked on hot desert sand. The proprietor of a favorite Labaneese restaurant of mine makes absolutely wonderful Turkish coffee. He takes ages making it in a little pot like that, and it's well worth it.

You guys should buy your coffee beans from Caribou Coffee.. specifically the Caribou Coffee in LaGrange.. not ONLY because we have good coffee, but also ya know.. help a Soxtalker out :)

I've been with Caribou for 2 1/2 years now, and I still believe in the product.. we've got the best freshness policy on our beans in the business, I highly recommend our Obsidian blend, it's delicious.

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)
You guys should buy your coffee beans from Caribou Coffee.. specifically the Caribou Coffee in LaGrange.. not ONLY because we have good coffee, but also ya know.. help a Soxtalker out :)

I've been with Caribou for 2 1/2 years now, and I still believe in the product.. we've got the best freshness policy on our beans in the business, I highly recommend our Obsidian blend, it's delicious.

Caribou > Starbucks