Reason to Suspect Quentin is Using Illegal Substances

Chet Lemon

I'm assuming, of course, that Quentin's clean. Sorry, but in this era of baseball, everybody's under suspicion (except Augie Ojeda and probably Mike Fontenot). And it certainly has been part of the profile to suspect a guy who already has nearly matched his career total for homers and already surpassed his season-best for RBIs.

Hold your outrage, people. If this were some other AL Central player, you Sox fans would be yapping.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....aking-us-b.html

This guy has no idea what the hell he is talking about.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All sports fans the past half dozen seasons have been very quick to accuse other team's players, while turning a blind eye to their own team. So I would agree many fans would be yapping if he was playing for the Twins. And I would disagree.

Iam to a point were an article like this doesnt even spark a reaction from me,its all old news and Iam over it for all players.Except for Bonds he will never be off the hook from me.

Edited by shipps

It's almost as if a prospect who was touted as good player is actually living up to his expectations in his third season after getting healthy and getting used to major league pitching.

STEROIDS!!!

I've been following the blogs vs traditional media journalists fight over at Deadspin, and I have to say, THIS is why blogs are giving better analysis these days. They can be crass, fine, but when you're reading them you can by and large avoid patently stupid arguments. At least, the ones who engage in this sort of dumbf***ery are shouted into oblivion by their own commenters.

Just sheer idiocy.

Quentin has been one of the top power hitting prospects in baseball for a while now, it's not like his power came out of no where. And great, he's passed his career highs in his 3rd season when he's been injured the majority of his first two.

How in the hell can a Chicago writer make this argument when there's a player the same age as Quentin on the other side of town that was a nothing in the minor leagues until last season, and now (after magically losing 30 pounds yet get stronger) is one of the top young hitting catchers of this decade? Also, where's the speculation that D. Lee might have gone back to PEDs this season? He had more homers in April than he did all during the first half of last season.

You know how you solve this....call the tribune cancel your subscription when they ask why tell them they have an idiot sports reporter named Rosenbloom (unfortunately so does the Suntimes)...enough people bail on the paper because of one guy and Zell will have him fired.

In any case his blog sucks anyways and is useless.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 23, 2008 -> 07:05 AM)
All sports fans the past half dozen seasons have been very quick to accuse other team's players, while turning a blind eye to their own team. So I would agree many fans would be yapping if he was playing for the Twins. And I would disagree.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm, but if it isn't, I totally disagree. I've been more than happy to go after specific guys on the Twins and Indians, like Rincon and Betancourt, who tested positive. There's another guy or two I'm suspicious of (pronk). But have you ever heard anyone here b*tching about Mauer or Morneau being on the juice? I certainly haven't. And these guys are players who, just like Quentin, came up, developed for a bit, and produced.

This is the most ridiculous crap I've ever read. How about he goes and looks at scout projections, minor league numbers, and college numbers so he can see how Quentin has always been well regarded as a potential 30HR+ talent. He also hit Hr's at a very good clip during his initial promotion to the big leagues and his only real struggles at the major league level occurred at a time where he was playing with an injured shoulder, which had a major impact on his bat speed, power, and offensive ability.

QUOTE (chiguy79 @ May 23, 2008 -> 08:49 AM)
You know how you solve this....call the tribune cancel your subscription when they ask why tell them they have an idiot sports reporter named Rosenbloom (unfortunately so does the Suntimes)...enough people bail on the paper because of one guy and Zell will have him fired.

In any case his blog sucks anyways and is useless.

I've seen Marriotti's pieces and I've seen Rosenbloom and Rosenbloom is by far and away worse. In fact, I think he's flat out terrible and can't think of anything worthwhile I've gained from any of his pieces.

I have questions about Quentin. When I heard players refer to him as "Little Canseco," even if he does look like him and he does stand like him it certainly evokes steroids. Is he? I make no allegation. I simply have suspicions.

re: Chipper Jones and Berkman -- nothing would surprise me, but Jones has hit more singles this season than at any point in his career and besides, his late-career evolution is not without precedent in guys like Molitor or Brett. It is a little suspicious that he's having such amazing seasons, but who knows. Berkman I don't know either, but it's possible. I don't want to play that game that oh, he's doing really good... I don't think either of them have yet shattered any records, so we'll have to see the end of the season for statistical analysis.