Reason to Suspect Quentin is Using Illegal Substances

Chet Lemon

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2008 -> 12:36 PM)
I've seen Marriotti's pieces and I've seen Rosenbloom and Rosenbloom is by far and away worse. In fact, I think he's flat out terrible and can't think of anything worthwhile I've gained from any of his pieces.

Marriotti actually does a little research for his articles and is very good getting reactions by playing his readers emotions like a puppet.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ May 23, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
I have questions about Quentin. When I heard players refer to him as "Little Canseco," even if he does look like him and he does stand like him it certainly evokes steroids. Is he? I make no allegation. I simply have suspicions.

re: Chipper Jones and Berkman -- nothing would surprise me, but Jones has hit more singles this season than at any point in his career and besides, his late-career evolution is not without precedent in guys like Molitor or Brett. It is a little suspicious that he's having such amazing seasons, but who knows. Berkman I don't know either, but it's possible. I don't want to play that game that oh, he's doing really good... I don't think either of them have yet shattered any records, so we'll have to see the end of the season for statistical analysis.

I don't think production is a good reason to suspect anyone either. But what kind of logic is this? You "don't want to play that game" that a good season raises steroid suspicion, but a nickname is enough? Are you off your rocker?

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 23, 2008 -> 11:52 AM)
I don't think production is a good reason to suspect anyone either. But what kind of logic is this? You "don't want to play that game" that a good season raises steroid suspicion, but a nickname is enough? Are you off your rocker?

Yes, yes he is.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 23, 2008 -> 11:52 AM)

I'm suspicious of a lot of players in MLB. Few more than others. I'm just saying -- if someone referred to someone as little McGwire, little Sosa, little Palmeiro, I'd have to look twice.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ May 23, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
I'm suspicious of a lot of players in MLB. Few more than others. I'm just saying -- if someone referred to someone as little McGwire, little Sosa, little Palmeiro, I'd have to look twice.

That explains your fear of Yankee games, at least. No telling what terror Hideki Matsui will unleash.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 23, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
All sports fans the past half dozen seasons have been very quick to accuse other team's players, while turning a blind eye to their own team. So I would agree many fans would be yapping if he was playing for the Twins. And I would disagree.

Really? Who suggest this about Monreau in 2006? Anyone? Anyone?

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ May 23, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
re: Chipper Jones and Berkman -- nothing would surprise me, but Jones has hit more singles this season than at any point in his career and besides, his late-career evolution is not without precedent in guys like Molitor or Brett. It is a little suspicious that he's having such amazing seasons, but who knows. Berkman I don't know either, but it's possible. I don't want to play that game that oh, he's doing really good... I don't think either of them have yet shattered any records, so we'll have to see the end of the season for statistical analysis.

Despite having really hot starts this year, Chipper and Fat Elvis have put up very good numbers and have been relatively free of injuries throughout their careers. I'd never say never, but these two don't exactly fit the profile. My guess is that they're simply starting off very hot.

Whoever said that Rosenbloom is worse than Mariotti has not read Rosenbloom. Whereas Mariotti yells fire! and runs, Rosenbloom will try to justify his writing. He's not always right, sometimes he's downright wrong, but he's always a good read in my opinion. I haven't read the article and I'm guessing I'll disagree (at least with the idea of accusing someone in a public forum of PED use) but will I disagree enough to cancel my subscription for the Trib? No, that's the definition of overreaction. No one here would be as up in arms about this if it were Soto or Hafner he was writing about.

Watching Carlos hit is just fun. This is the first Sox since Frank Thomas who I look forward to seeing his AB's. I don't think he's the next Babe Shelton since he didn't come out of nowhere. That said, I would be lying if I said that Q using PEDs has never crossed my mind.

What a hatchet job on Q, the tribune should be ashamed.

Of course, someone on the Sox comes through on their top prospect potential and the Tribune accuses them of being on steroids.

This from the same paper that didn't say jack about Spammy Sosa all of a sudden growing into a hulk and jacking 60 homeruns a season.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ May 23, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)

I know you realize this, but he is referred to as little Canseco because his batting stance and generally the way he looks on the field reminds people of Canseco. Because he has the same batting stance and is a good hitter it makes you suspicious? That's pretty lame IMO.

This article is stupid and here's why. If you want to be suspicious about a guy, look at his OPS and slugging percentages in his minor league career, and if you see a sudden boost somewhere along the way after a long period of time, you get suspecious. Carlos Quentin was simply a victim of injuries. In four minor league season, he put up a gaudy 953 OPS, .427 on base, and very good .526 slugging. When healthy, he's an extremely good hitter who draws tons of walks and hits for power. We got lucky he was hurt badly twice, and that Arizona is loaded, and acquired Quentin for nothing. This article is just misinformed.

If you want a blatant HGH user, look to the north at Cubs catcher Geovany Soto. Before 2007, his slugging percentage career high in the minors was .417 and career high OPS was 756 in six long minor league seasons. Last year, out of nowhere, he went to .323/.454/.652/1.076 at Iowa. Since being called up late last year, he is slugging over 600 and has an OPS around 1.050. Want an obvious cheater? Look at a catcher who went from Toby Hall minor league style to Mike Piazza at the plate after spending half a dozen years in the minors.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

blogs in general are crap. If you are reporter, report don't blog. If you are going to blog have a blog and don't associate with the newpaper.

The Chicago tribune is never going to be good at edgy blogging...for that we have soxtalk.

QUOTE (chiguy79 @ May 23, 2008 -> 01:10 PM)
blogs in general are crap. If you are reporter, report don't blog. If you are going to blog have a blog and don't associate with the newpaper.

The Chicago tribune is never going to be good at edgy blogging...for that we have soxtalk.

Ok Buzz Bissinger.

Absolute garbage.

CQ has raked at every level, and if not for an injury, he would be killing the ball for Arizona. The only way we pick him up is with the injury.

If they are going to mention CQ because of his performance, then what about Josh Hamilton, Nate McLouth, and Ryan Ludwick? None of those guys are on anything. They are just having some breakout years. They should be applauded, not accused.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE (BurlyMan56 @ May 23, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
The guy obviously wrote that little blog piece so it gets attention somewhere, anywhere. You guys are contributing to what he wants, attention. What an idiot- In my greatest Hawk voice

yup . it's called linkbait to increase his PR

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ May 23, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
I have questions about Quentin. When I heard players refer to him as "Little Canseco," even if he does look like him and he does stand like him it certainly evokes steroids. Is he? I make no allegation. I simply have suspicions.

thats pretty much one of the worst posts you've ever made. Ignoring that Q is producing about what his minor league numbers and pedigree have suggested, and going off of not even a common nickname for him as your reason for suspicion is pretty much beyond retarded.