5/23 gamethread: Angels (28-21) vs Sox (26-20); 7:11; WGN

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2008 -> 09:31 PM)
By the way, that last sentence in my post above is not me b****ing, it is fact (his making less contact than any player in baseball on balls he swings at). I could totally do the whole DH as a leadoff hitter thing.

Ozzie better do something before Thome gets enough PAs for his 2009 option to kick in.

Id people want to know why I won't whine at Joe, he's had clutch hits and isn't 4 for his last 37 (in fact Joe is hitting very well the past 12 and has been rock solid all year; ie 10000 x better than JT).

Jason ... it's a long year and tomorrow is another day.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 23, 2008 -> 06:37 PM)
Jason ... it's a long year and tomorrow is another day.

I'm with you. I'm not mad about the loss (Floyd was awesome and there is nothing I like seeing more than our young pitchers develop and grow; him overcoming that 5th to go the distance was awesome). I'm just frustrated having to put up with watching Thome continue to go up and swing over everything for the entire season. He has a very very horrid approach and there is a major book out on him. Jam him in early with the FB, than just go away away away with the breaking stuff and he won't come close to touching anything.

Basically put there is nothing I like less in baseball than watching all or nothing players and I consider Thome, much like Dunn, one of those guys and I don't consider players like that valuable pieces, heck I dont' even consider them pieces. Jim wasn't always that way, but at this stage in his career he has to cheat to hit for power (especially to hit the FB) and because of it, he's swinging earlier and becoming far more susceptible to breaking balls than ever before. Basically put, at this point, he's just guessing FB and unless he gets one square down the middle he's going to have trouble.

I'd word things more appropriate than my very rare cursing, but my finger is in a soft cast so its hard to type.

Also, I want to say, Ozzie made a gutsy call sending Wise and regardless of whether the outcome it was a great call. Against someone like Frankie, you must do what you can to ensure you can tie things up with as few hits as possible and the stolen base would have put the Sox a single away.

I'm with you. I'm not mad about the loss (Floyd was awesome and there is nothing I like seeing more than our young pitchers develop and grow; him overcoming that 5th to go the distance was awesome). I'm just frustrated having to put up with watching Thome continue to go up and swing over everything for the entire season. He has a very very horrid approach and there is a major book out on him. Jam him in early with the FB, than just go away away away with the breaking stuff and he won't come close to touching anything.

Basically put there is nothing I like less in baseball than watching all or nothing players and I consider Thome, much like Dunn's one of those guys and I don't consider players like that valuable pieces, heck I dont' even consider them pieces. Jim wasn't always that way, but at this stage in his career he has to cheat to hit for power (especially to hit the FB) and because of it, he's swinging earlier and becoming far more susceptible to breaking balls than ever before. Basically put, at this point, he's just guessing FB and unless he gets one square down the middle he's going to have trouble.

I'd word things more appropriate than my very rare cursing, but my finger is in a soft cast so its hard to type.

Good analysis but here's the thing. Those close to him say bat speed is not the issue and he himself says it's not the issue. I think he's trying to hard, pressing, which has long been a bad habit of his. He also hasn't been quite as willing to draw walks, he could have many more by now but he's trying to hit his way out of this. He does not do well vs. lefties that's for sure but with Konerko out their options are limited.

I don't think he's done, he will come out of this and start producing. Krod is nasty with that down and in pitch, Thome is not the only guy he gets with that. And yes I know more than one pitcher have made Thome look bad this year. Besides, really, who do you go and get right now, in May? Seattle doesn't want Thome, they just need their players to start playing better. Right now they're the worst team in the league.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 24, 2008 -> 03:32 AM)
It's disappointing that we have 3 players in PK, Thome, and Swisher who shock us all when they do something productive.

I was thinking the same thing. Thome has a good at bat every great once in awhile, but it's K's and groundouts almost all the time. Swish just keeps getting deeper in that hole as does PK. I can't believe these guys and how pathetic they look at bat. Carlton Fisk said that there is no aggressiveness being shown at all.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 24, 2008 -> 03:44 AM)
Also, I want to say, Ozzie made a gutsy call sending Wise and regardless of whether the outcome it was a great call. Against someone like Frankie, you must do what you can to ensure you can tie things up with as few hits as possible and the stolen base would have put the Sox a single away.

They sure had the chance to win this thing, or at least tie it, in the 9th didn't they?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 23, 2008 -> 08:54 PM)
They sure had the chance to win this thing, or at least tie it, in the 9th didn't they?

yup .. a Crede single could have tied that game. The fans were all rockin at the end of the game ... it was a pretty good game to be at, too bad it was a loss

Thome's last at bat obviously sucked. He was overmatched.

Very disappointing.

I just wish when the game is on the line he'd make contact and not try to hit the game winning homer.

I realize that is who he is, however.

Crede's last at bat sucked as well. Like Hawk, I thought the pitch before the K pitch was the one he coulda blooped into left or center for a game-tying single.

Oh well ... disappointing but great game by Floyd. And great win streak.

Why can't Swish hit????

Edited by greg775