Ryan Sweeney

bighurt4life

I hated it when we included him in the trade for Swisher instead of Anderson and seeing how he's producing early this year just makes me sick to think that he could be in center for the next 10 years for us instead of Swisher who's more suited for 1b or Anderson who I don't think will ever really be able to hit above 250 or so.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../SPBF10R5LJ.DTL

If Swisher had been doing his job with the bat, no one would be even thinking about this no matter how well Sweeney was performing. Especially considering that neither Gio nor DLS are putting up solid numbers for Oakland this year and in particular DLS was the guy that I was worried about giving up.

But frankly, the Swisher suckitude is starting to get annoying and needs to stop.

Despite his BA being 90 points lower, his OPS is still just 60 points lower.

And I'm willing to bet there's a better chance of Nick improving substantially on his numbers than Ryan.

In 42 games, Ryan has 13 walks.

In 47 games, Nick has 32 walks.

Swish is going to be fine.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 24, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
I think we're all really hoping this will be the case...but patience can only last for so long.

I hope it lasts longer than 1.5 months for a guy who's below his career averages.

I cant stand Nick Swisher and never have but even Iam not going to sit here and complain about a trade that was made.KW has made alot of good decisions and he is allowed to make a couple questionable ones in my book.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 24, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)
I hope it lasts longer than 1.5 months for a guy who's below his career averages.

I gave JD longer than this to pick his head up on 05, I'll keep putting Swisher out there. But it'd be darn nice to see some positive signs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 24, 2008 -> 05:01 PM)
I gave JD longer than this to pick his head up on 05, I'll keep putting Swisher out there. But it'd be darn nice to see some positive signs.

who made the "jermaine dye i command you to rise from the ashes and carry this team" sig? it was something similar to that...i say we bring that s*** back for swisher

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 24, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)
I tried this already, don't bother. Apparently he is "lucky" and has "no potential."

If you don't understand how lucky a .352 BABIP coupled with a 16% LD is-- then you've got, at best, a rudimentary understanding of baseball.

Edited by KevinM

QUOTE (KevinM @ May 25, 2008 -> 10:07 AM)
If you don't understand how lucky a .352 BABIP coupled with a 16% LD is-- then you've got, at best, a rudimentary understanding of baseball.

:lolhitting That is supposed to be in green right?

QUOTE (shipps @ May 25, 2008 -> 09:39 AM)
:lolhitting

Seriously, what's so funny about it? Batting average on balls in play is just that...if there is a play made on a ball, it counts towards this. Homers and strikeouts don't count. Line drive percentage is exactly that...the number of balls that are judged to be line drives, rather than ground outs or fly outs.

If you are hitting a fair amount of line drives, you're making pretty good contact with the ball and should be getting a few base hits...if you aren't, you are flying out or grounding out, which are, more often than line drives, going to be outs.

It's fundamental baseball understanding, and I agree with everything Kevin has stated in this thread.

QUOTE (KevinM @ May 25, 2008 -> 03:07 PM)

Also, if you know about stuff like BABIP and LD, you have most likely never had any contact with a vagina.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 25, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
Seriously, what's so funny about it? Batting average on balls in play is just that...if there is a play made on a ball, it counts towards this. Homers and strikeouts don't count. Line drive percentage is exactly that...the number of balls that are judged to be line drives, rather than ground outs or fly outs.

If you are hitting a fair amount of line drives, you're making pretty good contact with the ball and should be getting a few base hits...if you aren't, you are flying out or grounding out, which are, more often than line drives, going to be outs.

It's fundamental baseball understanding, and I agree with everything Kevin has stated in this thread.

What if you're hitting hard grounders up the middle? Or how about a fly ball of the fence for a double. Who actually decides if a ball hit is a linedrive or not?

Ryan is performing almost on cue right now with his career numbers in the minors. A pretty good hitter of about .290, gets on base at about a .350 clip, will only slug about .400 and play pretty good defense. He's a solid player (I think the Mark Kotsay comparisons we heard when he was young will be quite accurate), but not somebody you should lose sleep over giving up. I am more worried about what the hell is wrong with Swisher, because we need him to figure it out and do what he'd done throughout his career. I still think Swish will be a good player for us, and we knew going in we gave up a lot in that deal. I wish Ryan nothing but the best, but I won't sleep over losing him, especially with Q (and hopefully Swish at his best eventually) around. I'm more worried about DLS and Gio's ability somewhere else hurting us someday (hopefully Danks and Floyd keep doing well, and Broadway keeps improving, so we won't feel as bad about that either though).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ May 26, 2008 -> 12:07 AM)
Also, if you know about stuff like BABIP and LD, you have most likely never had any contact with a vagina.

Right

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 26, 2008 -> 12:10 AM)
What if you're hitting hard grounders up the middle? Or how about a fly ball of the fence for a double. Who actually decides if a ball hit is a linedrive or not?

I'm not sure exactly who does the line drive percentage, but I'd imagine it's a pretty reputable source, such as Elias or STATS Inc or MLB.

To answer your question, it's harder to consistently hit hard grounders up the middle, because it's flat out hard to always hit hard grounders period...depending on the infield you're playing on or where it hits on the bat, the ball will speed up/slow down accordingly. Quite a few members of the Twins hit for pretty damn good averages over the years simply because of the astroturf. Furthermore, teams will adjust to grounders up the middle and you constantly have to change your swinging style. If you hit line drives 10 feet in the air, you're gonna get a hell of a lot more hits and have to change your game a hell of a lot less often.

It's also hard to consistently hit balls off the fence...they are than likely going to be homers or fly balls rather than just fly balls off the fence. They happen, but so do seeing-eye singles and so do 120 MPH line drives right at a defender. It doesn't change the laws of probability.