Pls Say Bye Bye AJP at No. 2 slot in order

greg775

problem is, we're faced with the choice of wanting someone who is good at being a #2 hitter, versus just putting someone there who can do...well...anything.

not too many choices right now for who fills slots 1-4

now that Swisher is starting to get some walks again, i wouldnt mind having him at the top again. the sad truth is we dont have a #1 or a #2, so we have to make do. I mean, Cabrera really needs to bunt better. do all better.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 24, 2008 -> 08:35 PM)
problem is, we're faced with the choice of wanting someone who is good at being a #2 hitter, versus just putting someone there who can do...well...anything.

not too many choices right now for who fills slots 1-4

now that Swisher is starting to get some walks again, i wouldnt mind having him at the top again. the sad truth is we dont have a #1 or a #2, so we have to make do. I mean, Cabrera really needs to bunt better. do all better.

Put AJ at leadoff. Afterall, he did have a GREAT bunt down the 3rd base line Friday night..

:)

But seriously. I want Swish hitting 2nd. Put him in a spot where he doesnt have to swing for the fences (3-6), dosen't feel like a jackass (7-9), and dosent have to sit and watch 4-5 pitches (leadoff). Try a lineup of...

OCab

Swish

Q

Dye

Thome

Konerko

AJ

Crede

Ramirez

Then it still pleases Ozzie with the handedness because its potentially R-L-R-R-L-R-L-R-R, which gives a decent variance.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2008 -> 11:06 PM)
Torii Hunter would look good on our team right now considering when Swish swings the air goes 'swish' at the plate.

I remember I was one of the biggest opponents to the idea of signing Hunter, but I'd gladly take Hunter, Sweeney, DLS, and Gio over just Swish.

According to an A's fan I know, DLS is on the DL and scheduled for TJ surgery. (I should note that I can find anything definitive on the web... that says he is absolutely going under the knife. But there are quite a few articles documenting arm problems that have kept him from pitching since late April... and the A's fan I'm quoting is pretty reputable.)

Also these notes from Rotowire about Gio...

Sat. May 24, 2008

News: Gio Gonzalez gave up 10 hits and two walks over 3.2 innings on Friday for Triple-A Sacramento.

Impact: Gonzalez's walk rate has been around 3.7 per nine innings. This year, it is 4.9, which is just too darn high: it's throwing off all of the rest of his game. The A's may need to Volquez him -- send him all the way down to High-A -- in order to exorcise the walk demons. (RotoWire )

Fri. May 9, 2008

Gonzalez thus continues his disappointing year. This kind of mediocrity is not needed in Oakland at the moment with the A's near the top of their division, so the ways in which Gonzalez sees significant major league innings this year are: 1) he starts to pitch considerably better than he has and regains some semblance of his old self; 2) a couple of key injuries occur in Oakland; 3) the A's drop out of contention. He may need to scrap the year and start working on whatever he needs to work on to get back on track.

-------------------------------------------

Feel any better about Swisher now?

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ May 25, 2008 -> 12:24 PM)
According to an A's fan I know, DLS is on the DL and scheduled for TJ surgery.

Also these notes from Rotowire about Gio...

Sat. May 24, 2008

News: Gio Gonzalez gave up 10 hits and two walks over 3.2 innings on Friday for Triple-A Sacramento.

Impact: Gonzalez's walk rate has been around 3.7 per nine innings. This year, it is 4.9, which is just too darn high: it's throwing off all of the rest of his game. The A's may need to Volquez him -- send him all the way down to High-A -- in order to exorcise the walk demons. (RotoWire )

Fri. May 9, 2008

Gonzalez thus continues his disappointing year. This kind of mediocrity is not needed in Oakland at the moment with the A's near the top of their division, so the ways in which Gonzalez sees significant major league innings this year are: 1) he starts to pitch considerably better than he has and regains some semblance of his old self; 2) a couple of key injuries occur in Oakland; 3) the A's drop out of contention. He may need to scrap the year and start working on whatever he needs to work on to get back on track.

-------------------------------------------

Feel any better about Swisher now?

While Gonzalez and DLS have had their problems this year, there is no doubting the talent and potential they possess. Gio has always been overhyped, but I think he can make for a good 3-4 starter, and DLS has the stuff to be at least a good reliever. It's silly to write them off because of trouble adjusting so far.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 25, 2008 -> 01:58 PM)
While Gonzalez and DLS have had their problems this year, there is no doubting the talent and potential they possess. Gio has always been overhyped, but I think he can make for a good 3-4 starter, and DLS has the stuff to be at least a good reliever. It's silly to write them off because of trouble adjusting so far.

I could say the same about Swish.

I just don't see Gio being a major-leaguer, nor do I see DLS being projected as anything but a TJ case right now. Sweeney -- time will tell, but right now he looks like a 4th OF.

Yeah I agree you gotta get him outta there. He is way way to of a free swinger and he doesn't handle the bat well at all. AJP loves to swing at the first pitch, hes not a count worker, get him out of the 2 hole ASAP.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 25, 2008 -> 01:33 AM)
Put AJ at leadoff. Afterall, he did have a GREAT bunt down the 3rd base line Friday night..

:)

But seriously. I want Swish hitting 2nd. Put him in a spot where he doesnt have to swing for the fences (3-6), dosen't feel like a jackass (7-9), and dosent have to sit and watch 4-5 pitches (leadoff). Try a lineup of...

OCab

Swish

Q

Dye

Thome

Konerko

AJ

Crede

Ramirez

Then it still pleases Ozzie with the handedness because its potentially R-L-R-R-L-R-L-R-R, which gives a decent variance.

I agree get him in the 2 hole where he doesnt need to try and swing for fences/ get RBI. And isn't forced to take extra pitches to "see" the pitcher. I bet his BA and OBP starts to rise.

QUOTE (joeynach @ May 26, 2008 -> 07:59 PM)
Yeah I agree you gotta get him outta there. He is way way to of a free swinger and he doesn't handle the bat well at all. AJP loves to swing at the first pitch, hes not a count worker, get him out of the 2 hole ASAP.

Who cares about taking pitches in the 2 hole? We don't have a base stealer at the top of the order, so you're better off having one of your best hitters at the top so they get more plate appearances.

QUOTE (joeynach @ May 26, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
Also about AJ, does anyone know how many GIDP he has this year.

Four.

QUOTE (joeynach @ May 26, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
It would be nice to compare that to say what the average #2 hitter has.

Asdrubal Cabrera - 4

Yunel Escobar - 7

Dustin Pedroia - 6

Derek Jeter - 5

Luis Castillo - 6

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (fathom @ May 26, 2008 -> 06:32 PM)
Who cares about taking pitches in the 2 hole? We don't have a base stealer at the top of the order, so you're better off having one of your best hitters at the top so they get more plate appearances.

i tend to agree with this. on an ideal lineup, i'd see it the other way.

this is far from ideal.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 26, 2008 -> 07:32 PM)

actually I think ramirez would be a great number 2 hitter at this moment. He makes good contact, and protects the plate very well. He can bunt, and fouls off pitches adding to long counts.

QUOTE (quickman @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
actually I think ramirez would be a great number 2 hitter at this moment. He makes good contact, and protects the plate very well. He can bunt, and fouls off pitches adding to long counts.

He'd be the only other guy I'd consider there, assuming O-Cab is leading off. If Swisher ever gets hitting again and leads off, O-Cab could hit #2.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 24, 2008 -> 07:55 PM)
8 for 29 in the #2 hole since May 14.

That's .277 4 R 1 RBI 3 BB

11 times on base in 32 times at the plate, that's .344 OBP.

Not horrible.

AJP in the #2 spot

.278 .316 .389 .705

Not good.

Hitting 6th

.315 .351 .522 .872

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 05:11 PM)
AJP in the #2 spot

.278 .316 .389 .705

Not good.

Hitting 6th

.315 .351 .522 .872

Your numbers are wrong. He's hitting .292, .333 OBP, in the 2 slot. From ESPN:

Batting #2 65 8 19 3 1 1 6 4 0 10 1 0 .292 .333 .415 .748

He's doing quite well in the 2-hole, better fit than just about anyone else on the team. highest AB/K number on the team outside Cabrera, 2nd highest average on the team, 3rd highest OBP, among starters.