It's Never too Early..............

aprec32

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see the team sign Lofton once Uribe gets back from the DL. DFA ozuna, send down Wise, and bring up Fields. Fields can get some start sat 1B, some starts at DH, some starts at 3B. He can play 2-4 times a week. Lofton is way better an option in the outfield than Ozuna and Wise. If Lofton could give 175 PA or so of 280/345/400 ball it would be a nice boost coming off the bench.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 28, 2008 -> 03:18 AM)
I don't really think any of those ideas do a hell of a lot for the Sox.

What would you expect? We can't afford to give up any significant piece of the team and with our minor league system in shambles we probably only have enough for 1-2 big deals, if that, before there's nothing left at all.

I think if Kenny makes any moves this year he's going to give up a bench player or a decent prospect or two but not the best we've got. If he wants to get a player that can help in some fashion without giving up much he's probably going to have to go after a guy that's either on the downside of his career or saddled with a bad contract.

If Konerko has to go on the DL I think Kenny gets creative. Otherwise I'd expect maybe another reliever and a lefty stick off the bench.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 28, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
There's no reason to ever play Uribe again.

We're been doing well without him.

Seriously does anybody in their right mind want to see Uribe bat for the White

Sox again??

Not really, Alexei is flat out a better option there for this team.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 28, 2008 -> 05:08 PM)
What would you expect? We can't afford to give up any significant piece of the team and with our minor league system in shambles we probably only have enough for 1-2 big deals, if that, before there's nothing left at all.

I think if Kenny makes any moves this year he's going to give up a bench player or a decent prospect or two but not the best we've got. If he wants to get a player that can help in some fashion without giving up much he's probably going to have to go after a guy that's either on the downside of his career or saddled with a bad contract.

If Konerko has to go on the DL I think Kenny gets creative. Otherwise I'd expect maybe another reliever and a lefty stick off the bench.

I don't think the team needs a bullpen arm, not at this time anyways. Let Wasserman throw for a while, and if he proves that he's almost utterly useless, than bring Russell up...I also don't think Dotel is as shaky as you make him out to be. He's struggled a bit versus lefties, but he's absolutely dominating righties and he should improve against lefties as the year goes on. Even besides that, there are options in AAA that don't cost the Sox one of the best defensive outfielders and a developing bat. One thing I know this team doesn't need is another outfielder, especially one with the issues Milton Bradley has. There's already been enough drama with this team and the last thing we need is Bradley coming in here and throwing a beer at a fan or making a spectacle of himself arguing with an umpire. And the final deal is even worse because it drastically changes the dynamic of a team that's been successful; what's worse about the final deal is that those players have to hit for a respectable average to be productive players, and that is something players coming to the Sox have generally struggled with.

I think you make two relatively simple moves - bring in a bat with power for the bench (be it Eldred/Fields/someone from AAA or you trade for someone) and you bring in a 2Bman if Alexei isn't productive and Uribe blows (Durham, Freel, Sanchez, Roberts...that general group). At this point in time, those are the only two places I see a real upgrade plausible.

I also don't see KW jumping into panic mode if Konerko has to go on the DL; if it becomes a serious problem, he could make a move to address it, but I imagine you'd see Fields come up here first and foremost and take his chances at 1B. Otherwise, I'd call Wise back up, have him be the backup outfielder and a bat off the bench, move Swisher to 1B and let Anderson roam around CF. Defense is still severely underrated and it's one of the reasons this team's pitching has been as good as it has been.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2008 -> 01:28 PM)
Trade for a second baseman who can hit at the top of the order (#1 or #2)... Such as Jose Lopez from Seattle, Brandon Phillips of Cincy, Ray Durham of SF, Brian Roberts of Baltimore, Felipe Lopez of Washington, or Freddy Sanchez of Pitt.

Well said. I'd take any of the first four.

A few weeks ago I would say a 2b is definite. At this point, I think we have to let Alexei play a little bit and see what we have there. If not a 2b then it couldn't hurt to find a lefty bat for the bench.

Besides that I really think you just have to wait and hope that Thome, PK and Swish start to play like themselves.

I am going to say 2B is a good spot for an upgrade.

Phillips - too good

Roberts - Too high of price (see Cubs offer)

Durham - Too old

Sanchez - Do-able

Hudson - Last year of contract, expressed interest in leaving ARI

Ellis - Do-able

Basically I see the most likely suited as Freddy Sanchez, Orlando Hudson, and Mark Ellis.

Lets take a quick look at them.

2008 stats

Hudson (30) - .307/.380/.491, 4 HR, 26 RBI, 12 2B, 3 3B, 2 SB

Sanchez(30) - .238/.267/.310, 1 HR, 21 RBI, 12 2B, 0 3B, 0 SB

MarkEllis(30)- .235/.323/.380, 4 HR, 16 RBI, 8 2B, 2 3B, 5 SB

I like Hudson the most. He is having a good year this season, and provides above average defense at 2B. It also helps that Arizona has been a very good trade partner with us. Would they go for Lance Broadway or Kyle McCulough?

Also, if possible, I would also like to see us make a move at getting Ryan Freel. I really like his style.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

Despite Hudson's request to leave Arizona...somehow I doubt a 1st place team is going to be willing to trade their starting .870 OPS solid defensive 2nd baseman for anything other than a king's ransom.

Danny Richar hit a HR today in Charlotte. If Danny can put up a good week or two, then a Richar/Ramirez platoon with Uribe playing super-sub could certainly work.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 27, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
A couple ideas:

3. An even crazier idea. Orlando Cabrera, Mike MacDougal, and Chris Getz to SF for Omar Vizquel, Ray Durham, and Randy Winn in a sort of our-crap-for-your-crap deal. Cabrera nets the Giants the draft picks they would get for Randy Winn a year early and they also get out of his contract. MacDougal gives them an arm with still some upside and they can try to get some worth out him of during a crappy year. Chris Getz gives them Durham's replacement. Meanwhile for the Sox, you DL Paulie, move Swish to 1B, put Winn in CF, Vizquel at SS, and Durham at 2B. Our defense takes a hit at 2B and perhaps there's a slight downgrade in CF from Swisher, but Winn could also end up as an upgrade there defensively too. I don't know how well he still plays CF. But in terms of the lineup, you can put this lineup out there:

We'd add a little more speed overall but a lot more contact and OBP. The only offensive hole in the lineup would be Vizquel, but if he becomes a major problem the Sox have both Uribe and Ramirez to turn to. He's a veteran though so even if he doesn't hit he should be able to at least make productive outs when the situation calls for them.

It's a crazy idea but I think it would definitely be a win now move that wouldn't hurt the team since Omar and Durham are FA after this year while Winn is a FA after '09 and, even though he makes $8.25 million next year, he's a good enough hitter and versatile enough to be a valuable 4th OF.

I'd shoot myself in the head if we made that trade. We'd get Durham who can't do anything that Richar/Uribe/Ramirez can't do, Vizquel hasn't been able to hit for 4 years and Winn is a 4th OF at best. The only thing we get out of that deal is we lose the draft picks we get if Cabrera leaves in free agency and we get to pay a bunch of money to Durham and Winn. terrible trade

If there are any deals we make this year it should be to get younger. We need to move one or two of the following players, Konerko, Crede, Thome, and Dye.

If we move Konerko we can put Swish at first and move Anderson to CF

If we move Thome bring up Fields and give him the bulk of the DH at bats

If we move Dye put Swish in RF and let BA play center

If we move Crede bring up Fields.

this team has a weak farm system and an aging lineup. that is not the recipe for prolonged success as an organization, just look at how horrible the SF Giants are this season. They had the same combo of aging lineup and barren minors a couple of years ago and now they're terrible with no end in sight.

I think that we could make any of the aforementioned moves without sacrificing the current season while still improving the overall health of the organization in preparation for future seasons.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 28, 2008 -> 08:04 PM)
this team has a weak farm system and an aging lineup. that is not the recipe for prolonged success as an organization, just look at how horrible the SF Giants are this season. They had the same combo of aging lineup and barren minors a couple of years ago and now they're terrible with no end in sight.

I think that we could make any of the aforementioned moves without sacrificing the current season while still improving the overall health of the organization in preparation for future seasons.

The White Sox do NOT have an aging lineup, nor do they have no young talent and no end in sight in their lineup.

Look at our roster next year. There are, by my count, 3 positions out of nine where we don't have a young guy that we could put in to the lineup if we chose not to upgrade. Catcher, 1b, and DH.

We have 3+ young outfielders in SuperQ, Anderson, Swisher, and Owens if you want to count him. We have a young 3rd baseman in Fields. In the middle infield, we have Ramirez, Richar, and Getz who can all fill holes.

On top of that, our starting rotation right now has 2 young guys, a 3rd pretty close to ready in Broadway, we've got a young closer, and we keep developing decent young relief pitchers in addition to the couple guys we signed.

It's weird how this team has a reputation for being old when really they are just slow as hell.

I don't think any major change should happen at all this season unless the team completely blows up. Adding a 2B should be the biggest thought that's even considered at this point in time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 28, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
It's weird how this team has a reputation for being old when really they are just slow as hell.

I don't think any major change should happen at all this season unless the team completely blows up. Adding a 2B should be the biggest thought that's even considered at this point in time.

There's absolutely no reason for this team to have a major change. We're a tweak or two away imo...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
The White Sox do NOT have an aging lineup, nor do they have no young talent and no end in sight in their lineup.

Look at our roster next year. There are, by my count, 3 positions out of nine where we don't have a young guy that we could put in to the lineup if we chose not to upgrade. Catcher, 1b, and DH.

We have 3+ young outfielders in SuperQ, Anderson, Swisher, and Owens if you want to count him. We have a young 3rd baseman in Fields. In the middle infield, we have Ramirez, Richar, and Getz who can all fill holes.

On top of that, our starting rotation right now has 2 young guys, a 3rd pretty close to ready in Broadway, we've got a young closer, and we keep developing decent young relief pitchers in addition to the couple guys we signed.

It's amazing how much the future of this organization looks completely different than it did last year. We have pieces and a few very good ones to build around now.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 28, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)
It's amazing how much the future of this organization looks completely different than it did last year. We have pieces and a few very good ones to build around now.

And the key to that IMHO, has been getting the core group of guys younger. Your Floyd's, Danks', Quentin's etc.

KW needs to keep doing that from season to season. Guys will who give you edge (both on the field and in the clubhouse), but players who are just about to come into their primes.

1B/DH is a prime area that KW could look to "revitalize" in the off-season.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ May 29, 2008 -> 04:52 AM)
And the key to that IMHO, has been getting the core group of guys younger. Your Floyd's, Danks', Quentin's etc.

KW needs to keep doing that from season to season. Guys will who give you edge (both on the field and in the clubhouse), but players who are just about to come into their primes.

1B/DH is a prime area that KW could look to "revitalize" in the off-season.

More like in two weeks during the draft.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)

Why do people take offense to describing the current lineup as aging? The meat of this lineup is very much on the decline. The vast majority of the offensive production, or what we normally would be counting on, comes from declining veterans. Just because there are some young backups, doesn't evade the fact the current lineup is aging.