It's Never too Early..............

aprec32

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 28, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
There's absolutely no reason for this team to have a major change. We're a tweak or two away imo...

I would be against gutting the already barren farm system to make any major moves as well. If anything, a minor move should be made to aquire a cheap corner player with some pop to take a seat on the bench -- but those guys don't go on trees.

I still am in favor of signing Lofton at the midway point.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sircaffey @ May 28, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
Why do people take offense to describing the current lineup as aging? The meat of this lineup is very much on the decline. The vast majority of the offensive production, or what we normally would be counting on, comes from declining veterans. Just because there are some young backups, doesn't evade the fact the current lineup is aging.

Only taking offense because I'm tired of hearing things I don't consider to be true. Yes, a significant chunk of our current offensive production comes from vets, but most of that is coming from vets that we have replacements lined up for! Crede, Uribe, Cabrera, Dye...there is a replacement sitting right in the system for each of them. And even then, it's not like we've gotten extraordinary production from these vets anyway, it's turned out so far that the most effective thing in our lineup has been a young guy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2008 -> 10:24 AM)
Only taking offense because I'm tired of hearing things I don't consider to be true. Yes, a significant chunk of our current offensive production comes from vets, but most of that is coming from vets that we have replacements lined up for! Crede, Uribe, Cabrera, Dye...there is a replacement sitting right in the system for each of them. And even then, it's not like we've gotten extraordinary production from these vets anyway, it's turned out so far that the most effective thing in our lineup has been a young guy.

That's the point, these aging vets are the ones not performing which in turn is making this offense one of the worst in the league. Our offense needs Konerko, Thome, Dye, and Cabrera (even Crede to a lesser extent) going. If they don't hit, we will continue to not score runs. That's the way this lineup is built, around aging veteran players.

You also make it sound like our system produces talent easily. We have 1 impact offensive prospect in Fields. The jury is still very much out for Richar and Ramirez on whether they are even full-time players. Just because we have guys that play the same position as a few of our aging vets, doesn't mean they are capable replacements on a playoff level team.

Edited by sircaffey