Mother Nature vs. State of Iowa

Heads22

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2008 -> 07:36 AM)
I rode RAGBRAI last year, which took a northern route and went through some of those towns that were in the damage path. I recall one town along the route (and I think near where this twister was), the name of which escapes me, that had been hit by a catastrophic tornado in the 70's, then again in the 90's, and again just a few years ago. As you come into town, it's sign prould proclaims itself the town that won't die. Its full of tree stumps and trees that look like they should be really big but are cut off at about 8 feet (or less). The town sign also apoligized to riders for not having any shade for them, as they had no trees left. Anyone know the name of the town?

I'm going to try to figure this out because I'm interested in seeing what town it was. If I had to take a guess I would guess Eagle Grove or Goldfield. I'll do some research into it though. Thor could be a possibility as well.

Did you stay in this town for the night or just pass on through?

Edited by WilliamTell

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 27, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
I'm going to try to figure this out because I'm interested in seeing what town it was. If I had to take a guess I would guess Eagle Grove or Goldfield. I'll do some research into it though. Thor could be a possibility as well.

Did you stay in this town for the night or just pass on through?

Pass-through. And its a very small town. I think we were there later in the week, like the 2nd to last day, or 3rd to last.

We did ride through Eagle Grove (which was quite possibly the most charming small town I've ever seen), and Thor, but neither are what I am talking about.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 28, 2008 -> 06:40 PM)
Found that town - Bradgate, Iowa. Here is the Wiki page, and an article about the 2004 tornado that destroyed three quarters of the town's homes. I can't find anything about the older tornado in the town, or a town website. But that's the one. Destroyed by tornadoes twice, still people living there.

Stupid me, I should've known it, and obviously it rings a bell since you said it. Bradgate was one of the towns my friend and I went on during our second of three fifty town trips. Although that trip ended up being 65 small Iowa towns. We like to go and see these small towns, it takes up the whole day to do it, but that's ok. However with gas prices our 4th trip might be put on hold.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 28, 2008 -> 11:37 PM)
I would say Charles City's 3 tornadoes at once were the worst, but that's my opinion.

Between Charles City and Oelwein....two F5's in one day. It's a minor miracle more didn't die. Both towns were just leveled.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 30, 2008 -> 01:31 PM)
Sounds like the flooding is getting bad enough that they are looking into sandbagging Hilton Coliseum, built in the middle of the world's biggest flood plain...

Yeah, I have to say, that was some stupid planning to put Hilton, Stephens, the new athletic complex at Jack Trice, Rieman and all that other stuff on that plain. I can't believe they didn't try to put them on some sort of raised earth, if they were going to build there. Just plain dumb.

More of my favorite thread.

Ames is forecast to get another 2-4 inches of rain in the next 2 days. I'm going there next Tuesday. It may be completely underwater by then.

This has been absolutely the craziest weather year ever. Here at home we're forecasted to get rain the next week, apparently followed shortly by locusts.

I was camping in Central Illinois this weekend. Friday night, we got NINE inches of rain dumped on us in a constant downpour from about 7 pm until 5 am. It was nasty, and quite scary. I think I slept in two inches of standing water. Not a fun night.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 09:00 PM)
Just got back from iowa city. It's getting nasty there. pics to come soon.

man... i'm from iowa city and i've been talking to my parents and they were telling me how bad it's been. i cant wait for your pictures... ugh i wish i was there oddly enough...

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 12:51 AM)
man... i'm from iowa city and i've been talking to my parents and they were telling me how bad it's been. i cant wait for your pictures... ugh i wish i was there oddly enough...

This is a farm out near "Coralville Lake"

P6070002.JPG

A Bridge Near 380...

P6070003.JPG

The Damn at "Coralville Lake"...

P6070005.JPG

P6070007.JPG

P6070008.JPG

P6070010.JPG

I didnt have a chance to get pictures in downtown Iowa City, but it was pretty bad as well.

If you know where Parkview Church is, it's practically in their front door.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

Flooding in Eastern Iowa is now forecast to be worse than '93 for the most part.

The Wapsipinicon in Independence, according to Channel 7, is forecast to crest 8 feet above flood stage, but with chances for even more rain, they said it could be up to 12 feet.

The river is usually about 8 feet. Forecast to 20, possibility of 24-26.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 11:23 PM)

In 1985, a tornado went through the trailer park we used to live at in Northwestern Pennsylvania - the damage in these pictures are identical to what I remember it being like - all the way to the barkless tree...