Orlando Cabrera Calls Press Box to Complain During Game

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 28, 2008 -> 12:53 PM)
yeah... because both situations are related.... :rollseyes

meaning when i read that story how edgar doesnt like him and said the type of person he is, i thought badly of edgar. im seeing hes actually right..

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ May 28, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
meaning when i read that story how edgar doesnt like him and said the type of person he is, i thought badly of edgar. im seeing hes actually right..

Edgar's "right" to have Cabrera unlawfully detained at the airport?

Agreed that Cabrera has some serious growing-up to do, but let's keep things in perspective.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 28, 2008 -> 01:58 PM)
Edgar's "right" to have Cabrera unlawfully detained at the airport?

Agreed that Cabrera has some serious growing-up to do, but let's keep things in perspective.

well not that. him and the type of person he is.

can't believe moronotti hasn't written anything yet -- he must be licking his chops. I'm going to say that his take will go something like: "it's just the first crack in a crumbling clubhouse." That "Cabrera is a highly regarded team player who never experienced these sorts of indignities anywhere else he's played....that he has the courage to finally speaking out against a manager that no one else has had the guts to call out."

just a guess.

Anyone other than me think Joe Cowley is trying to make a name for himself? He seems to be on the Mike North show often and is really airing out the clubhouse. I could be wrong but he seems to be behind the dirt that comes out regarding this team.

This is an interesting observation.

Part of it in my opinion is the Sun Times editors, who love controversey. They were all over Cowley about not reporting the blow up doll thing first. He was on the radio and said he disagreed with his editors running Slezak's story.

But Cowley is not called Tailgunner Joe for nothing. He is always taking shots at people who don't cooperate with him and he soft soaps people who do cooperate, not unlike any beat reporter/writer.

Kenny Williams and Cowley have an uneasy but peaceful relationship, it's much better than it used to be but Williams is wary of Cowley and does not like all this clubhouse crap getting out. No GM does. But it today's media, that's the way it is. Cowley is extremely competitive and he'll print whatever he thinks is good for Cowley. But that's his job.

The White Sox should just thank themselves they don't have to play in NYC. It's 10 times worse here for the Yankees and Mets. That said, I have no patience for these hadget job stories. Too often the beat writers and columnist forget that their readers are actually fans of the clubs they are reporting on -- we can make up our own minds and don't mind a little bad with the good.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 28, 2008 -> 01:21 PM)
on B&B just a few minutes ago, they were just told that Cabrera is most likely not going to be pursued in FA after this year, supposedly has something to do with clubhouse issues

I would hope that his age and salary demands would factor into that decision as well. But if Cabrera acting like a b*tch is all it takes, so be it.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 28, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)
I would hope that his age and salary demands would factor into that decision as well. But if Cabrera acting like a b*tch is all it takes, so be it.

When you say not pursued, you mean the White Sox aren't going to pursue him or other clubs are backing off him?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 28, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
When you say not pursued, you mean the White Sox aren't going to pursue him or other clubs are backing off him?

I have no idea, as I'm not the one relaying the info from the radio.

But if I had to guess, it's that the Sox aren't going to pursue him.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 28, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
The White Sox should just thank themselves they don't have to play in NYC. It's 10 times worse here for the Yankees and Mets. That said, I have no patience for these hadget job stories. Too often the beat writers and columnist forget that their readers are actually fans of the clubs they are reporting on -- we can make up our own minds and don't mind a little bad with the good.

Well outside of New York, Chicago is probably the toughest media city to play sports in, so its pretty much still bad.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 28, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)

i figured it was implied

the white sox will not pursue him

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 28, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
Well outside of New York, Chicago is probably the toughest media city to play sports in, so its pretty much still bad.

I'd say that Philly and Boston are probably worse, but Chicago is definitely up there.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 28, 2008 -> 07:11 PM)
I'd say that Philly and Boston are probably worse, but Chicago is definitely up there.

Chicago and Philly are basically mirrors of one another. From the media to the hostility of the fanbases (mostly because of the media).

New York by far has the worst group of media members.

Based on personal experience, I've only met a couple of writers that weren't complete d!cks.

Mike and the Mad Dog are as intolerable in person as they are on the radio.

The Sun Times is very close to being the New York Post. Both are tabloids.

QUOTE (CWSOX45 @ May 29, 2008 -> 12:53 AM)
New York by far has the worst group of media members.

Based on personal experience, I've only met a couple of writers that weren't complete d!cks.

Mike and the Mad Dog are as intolerable in person as they are on the radio.

The Sun Times is very close to being the New York Post. Both are tabloids.

wow, that's pretty intolerable. what the hell are they on in new york that they'd actually put up with media like that on a regular basis?