Is Google unpatriotic?

EvilMonkey

Just about every holiday major and minor, Google changes their logo just a bit for fun to go along. Arbor Day had letters looing like trees. Valentine's day had hearts all around. Memorial Day? Nothing. WTF, Google. Are you afraid some of your more rabid anti-American users will get pissed off? I mean, even Yahoo, Ask and Dogpile have all made subtle changes for the holiday.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 26, 2008 -> 12:28 PM)
Just about every holiday major and minor, Google changes their logo just a bit for fun to go along. Arbor Day had letters looing like trees. Valentine's day had hearts all around. Memorial Day? Nothing. WTF, Google. Are you afraid some of your more rabid anti-American users will get pissed off? I mean, even Yahoo, Ask and Dogpile have all made subtle changes for the holiday.

... really? let's get offended by every freaking little thing why don't we? how is this a big deal?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 26, 2008 -> 12:28 PM)

You better be wearing a flag lapel pin today.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 26, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)

I made sure to take my boys outside, and while looking at our flag, reminded them of what the day stands for, and the sacrafices that many Americans have made so that we can live in a free country. For the last 2 years, my oldest son had talked about joingin the Marines, and neither my wife nor myself have tried to talk him out of it. I think it is a fair question to ask, since they change the logo for just about everything else, why not now?

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 26, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
... really? let's get offended by every freaking little thing why don't we? how is this a big deal?

Like Pratt mentioned, my wording may have been a bit slanted, but I think it is still a fair question to ask. And there are different levels of offense. I am not going to start some Jihad against Google, it just disappoints me that they didn't change it this time, but did for Arbor Day and others.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 26, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
Like Pratt mentioned, my wording may have been a bit slanted, but I think it is still a fair question to ask. And there are different levels of offense. I am not going to start some Jihad against Google, it just disappoints me that they didn't change it this time, but did for Arbor Day and others.

yeah ok i can hear that. i'm just really sick of people slinging that "unpatriotic" thing around. really sick of it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 26, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)

I don't think any average joe is wearing a flag pin today, but my family sure as hell put up our flag in memory of the great service men in our great country's history. If it wasn't for these people, we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now.

Because of this, I have now changed my default search engine to yahoo. I know it won't do anything in the wide spectrum of things, but I cannot use a product that refuses to recognize the great servicemen of our country, but will celebrate St. Patrick's Day and even commercial holidays such as Valentine's Day.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 26, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
Because of this, I have now changed my default search engine to yahoo. I know it won't do anything in the wide spectrum of things, but I cannot use a product that refuses to recognize the great servicemen of our country, but will celebrate St. Patrick's Day and even commercial holidays such as Valentine's Day.

Sorry but that might be the most ridiculous thing I've seen posted in here in quite some time. Will you ban all other products and companies that do not have a tribute to Memorial Day in some way?

I drove by our movie theater today and saw no flag....won't be going there ever again.

The homeless shelter down the block didn't have a flag in front. Guess I'll be volunteering at a different one now.

ESPN.com didn't commemorate the holiday on their main page. Deleted them as a bookmark. In fact, I see nothing on the Soxtalk main page. Guess I'll stop visiting here too and you probably will too.

Edited by BigSqwert

They also don't have Labor Day logos, so they hate workers, too.

As much as you might not like the answer, it's probably just an attempt to maintain variety. They regularly change logos for only a handful of holidays (Thanksgiving, Halloween, July 4th, MLK's birth, Earth Day -- not Arbor Day -- some others). Then they do it occasionally for random holidays and other events. They probably figure Independence Day is the big one, Memorial Day is too close. It becomes trite and unsurprising if you do it for everything. I wouldn't take it as a political statement or political cowering. Note that they did use a special logo for Veteran's Day in November.

Manufactured outrage as far as I'm concerned.

Google's response from previous years:

"Thank you for your note. We understand your interest in seeing a Memorial Day Google logo. If we were to commemorate this holiday, we'd want to express reverence; however, as Google's special logos tend to be lighthearted in nature, this would be a particularly challenging design.

We wouldn't want to create a graphic that could be interpreted as disrespectful in any way.

We have a long list of holidays that we'd like to celebrate in the future. We have to balance this rotating calendar with the need to maintain the consistency of the Google homepage. We really appreciate your feedback regarding the Google logo, and please be assured that we're actively pursuing ways in which we can acknowledge Memorial Day and other such

occasions in the future.

Regards,

The Google Team"

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 26, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
They regularly change logos for only a handful of holidays (Thanksgiving, Halloween, July 4th, MLK's birth, Earth Day -- not Arbor Day -- some others). Then they do it occasionally for random holidays and other events.

They changes their logo to honor the 50th anniversary of Sputnik! They did it to honor Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's birthday! On April 20 (420) they changed it to some sort of trippy-looking artwork. They have done MLK day and even Halloween. Last year after some bloggers made a stink about it, they did Veterans Day. This just seems like a curious omission.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 26, 2008 -> 03:39 PM)
They changes their logo to honor the 50th anniversary of Sputnik! They did it to honor Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's birthday! On April 20 (420) they changed it to some sort of trippy-looking artwork. They have done MLK day and even Halloween. Last year after some bloggers made a stink about it, they did Veterans Day. This just seems like a curious omission.

So what is it supposed to be saying? They do it for plenty of other "patriotic" holidays. As they've said, their logos are usually pretty light-hearted, and Memorial Day isn't exactly a light-hearted matter.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 26, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)

Sure, but that doesn't mean they think those are more important days. They are interesting & less well-known, which make the graphic surprising. They aren't saying that Doyle is more important than soldiers who gave their lives for the US, any more than they're saying he's more important than US workers. It's just a little, Hey, isn't this cool?

They don't line up the days by importance and take the top 20, 30, whatever. They pick some very strange ones to 'celebrate' just for the whimsy of it. It makes the whole idea more fun.