What should Ozzie do with Swisher?

He's hurting us at the plate and he's not exactly playing stellar D in the OF, although he hasn't been bad either.

You have to get Swish his AB's because he is going to come around sooner or later, but it's a tough decision over Anderson right now IMO because Anderson is going to hit .200 without a problem but also give you much better defense.

Right now we're not scoring runs very well at all, so it makes sense to put Anderson out there to have the best defense on the field, but again, you could always make the argument for Swisher because when he does come around he's going to be a significant piece in this lineup.

What I would do is give Anderson 3-4 starts per week in center with Swish on the bench as a PH or subbing for Paulie here and there, and I'd keep that up until the Sox start hitting again. From there, I think it's easier to put Swish back in the lineup because if those around him are hitting he should find it easier to get back to where he was in Oakland. Additionally when the Sox are hitting you don't have to worry as much about his defense in center, and in the meantime, hopefully Anderson will have a bit more time to show whether or not he can hit enough to be a starting CF.

Thoughts?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're not going to sit Swisher. He accomplishes nothing on the bench, so unless he's hurt, he'll be out there almost every day. He's also got too much of an upside, and his career numbers are too good, to sit.

I love BA Barrackus as much as anyone, but you've got to keep running Swish out there. Ozzie's using BA about as well as he can right now...I would DL Paulie, to be honest, and hope he can heal that thing up altogether instead of continuing to try and fight through it this early in the season.

Swisher probably had his best all around game at the plate today (despite not having a bunch of hits, he hit the ball hard to all fields today). I've noticed his swing plane getting much more level and I think he's actually got things figured out and we'll see that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2008 -> 12:56 AM)
Swisher probably had his best all around game at the plate today (despite not having a bunch of hits, he hit the ball hard to all fields today). I've noticed his swing plane getting much more level and I think he's actually got things figured out and we'll see that.
I too like the way Swish hit the ball today.. BA defensively can get to a lot more balls than Swisher thus could save us a few runs a game.. Swish is more of a corner outfielder. However we do have two great outfielders.. I think Swish at first giving Konerko some time to rehabilitate that bad hand..

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 26, 2008 -> 11:51 PM)
man, who would've thought we'd be 1 game behind the d-backs ,who started out ridiculously hot, on memorial day in the loss column? crazy

and who would of thought tb would be good and have the best record in baseball? :gosox3:

As I mentioned elsewhere, I think Konerko should go on the DL if he hasn't shown real progress with his hand by the end of this road trip. One poster on the Konerko thread suggested it will take 8 weeks for PK to heal.

In that time, I'd bring up Josh Fields and rotate Anderson, Swish, Thome, Crede, and Fields through 4 positions, CF, 1B, DH, and 3B. The odd guy out would serve as a pinch hitter du jour. You could even throw Dye into the mix.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 26, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
I love BA Barrackus as much as anyone, but you've got to keep running Swish out there. Ozzie's using BA about as well as he can right now...I would DL Paulie, to be honest, and hope he can heal that thing up altogether instead of continuing to try and fight through it this early in the season.

I agree. Swish to 1B and BA to CF. Even BA is putting PK to shame at the dish right now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
Honestly, he should be in the 2-hole right now. Move AJP back down and put Swish between OC and Carlos.

Have to disagree. AJ's hitting this year so far is a decent fit for the 2 slot, and Swisher is just starting to get the hang of it where he is. I wouldn't move them right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2008 -> 08:35 AM)
I agree. AJ is a much better hitter when he is given a role like #2 hitter, versus a power guy in the #5 or #6 slot. This is the AJ I fell in hate with when he was a Twin.

he is a doubles machine this year

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2008 -> 07:35 AM)
I agree. AJ is a much better hitter when he is given a role like #2 hitter, versus a power guy in the #5 or #6 slot. This is the AJ I fell in hate with when he was a Twin.

Oh really?

2008 stats

#2 hitter .255 .314 .362 .675 3 2B

#6 hitter .315 .351 .522 .872 10 2B

so you prefer when he doesnt hit?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 29, 2008 -> 07:54 PM)
Oh really?

2008 stats

#2 hitter .255 .314 .362 .675 3 2B

#6 hitter .315 .351 .522 .872 10 2B

so you prefer when he doesnt hit?

Look at his stats from the last two years in the lower spots in the order. You can make stats lie all you want, but he is a better hitter when he isn't swinging for the fences.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2008 -> 07:58 PM)
Look at his stats from the last two years in the lower spots in the order. You can make stats lie all you want, but he is a better hitter when he isn't swinging for the fences.

How is showing actual stats making them lie? Looking at his stats, the #6 spot appears to be the best fit, his .788 OPS and .292 avg in the 6 hole is basically his best stats for any spot in the order, and thats for his career. Now if you are talking about the last 2 years, the best number are when he was in a power position in the order, 2007 was 3rd, 2006 was 5th.

As an add on, Swish in the 2 hole

.243 .365 .459 .824 I'd take that OPS in that slot.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 29, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)
How is showing actual stats making them lie? Looking at his stats, the #6 spot appears to be the best fit, his .788 OPS and .292 avg in the 6 hole is basically his best stats for any spot in the order, and thats for his career. Now if you are talking about the last 2 years, the best number are when he was in a power position in the order, 2007 was 3rd, 2006 was 5th.

As an add on, Swish in the 2 hole

.243 .365 .459 .824 I'd take that OPS in that slot.

Whats our record since the line up change?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2008 -> 09:31 PM)
Whats our record since the line up change?

The question wasnt whether our team is winning, its what to do with Swish, and if AJP is playing better in the 2 hole or further down the order. The biggest change has been Q in the 3 hole as his RBI count is above how many games they've played.

Its an illusion that AJ is better in the 2 hole, he is in fact been a better hitter further down the order.