What should Ozzie do with Swisher?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 30, 2008 -> 04:16 PM)
Actually as a #2 hitter he hasnt really done any of that. As a #6 hitter he has, but in the #2 hole, not so much.

I'm not going to go on a week's worth of stats. That gets you nowhere. He's been doing all those things all season, with a few slumps here and there. Making decisions on a week-long time span, which is about how long his slump has been going (7 or 8 games), will just be problematic. When you do that, players never get comfortable in a slot, the lineup changes too often and that effects other hitters around them, every player in baseball goes through periods like that, and its just too few at bats to make a judgement.

If he's hitting .200 in the 2-hole for another couple weeks, AND if there is someone who is ready to move up (i.e. Swisher starts hitting), then you make that move.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 30, 2008 -> 04:24 PM)
I'm not going to go on a week's worth of stats. That gets you nowhere. He's been doing all those things all season, with a few slumps here and there. Making decisions on a week-long time span, which is about how long his slump has been going (7 or 8 games), will just be problematic. When you do that, players never get comfortable in a slot, the lineup changes too often and that effects other hitters around them, every player in baseball goes through periods like that, and its just too few at bats to make a judgement.

If he's hitting .200 in the 2-hole for another couple weeks, AND if there is someone who is ready to move up (i.e. Swisher starts hitting), then you make that move.

Yes, but you said he was doing those things as a #2 hitter. He hasnt since he has been in that slot, I dont know how much more clearly I can make it. There is no stats doctoring, no timelines, no way for me to change the fact that as a #2 hitter this season for the White Sox in 13 games 52 AB's .231 .286 .613 OPS with 1 more strike out than in almost half as many at bats as in the #6 position. He had more RBI per AB, more HR per AB, more 2B per AB, and about the same run ratio in the #6 position than in the 2 hole. Its pretty clear.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 30, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
Yes, but you said he was doing those things as a #2 hitter. He hasnt since he has been in that slot, I dont know how much more clearly I can make it. There is no stats doctoring, no timelines, no way for me to change the fact that as a #2 hitter this season for the White Sox in 13 games 52 AB's .231 .286 .613 OPS with 1 more strike out than in almost half as many at bats as in the #6 position. He had more RBI per AB, more HR per AB, more 2B per AB, and about the same run ratio in the #6 position than in the 2 hole. Its pretty clear.

Sample size. His whole season, he's been an ideal #2 hitter. Of the 13 games since he was moved to the 2 slot, the back half he's been awful. The first half of those 13, he was awesome. But again, those samples are really too small - 6 or 7 games each. IMO, you look at the broadest stats you can, which is full season to date, and see if he profiles well to that slot. And he does, to a tee, better so than anyone else in the lineup.

Now, if he hits in that slot another few weeks and struggles, then I think you have a legitimate case to move him out of it.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 30, 2008 -> 06:54 PM)
AJ's atbat in the 3rd inning: case in point

Huh? He struck out. So? Players strike out.

On the next AB CQ hit into a DP, so do we draw the conclusion that CQ should be demoted or something from that? I don't get it.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2008 -> 09:17 PM)
Back to the Swisher topic...someone floated the idea of sending him down to AAA for a while in the game thread tonight. Thoughts? At this point, how can it hurt?

I think it will ruin him mentally, he is a hyped up guy. Benching him might send the message you are looking for, while keeping him from the embarrassment of moving down to AAA.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 31, 2008 -> 02:19 AM)
I think it will ruin him mentally, he is a hyped up guy. Benching him might send the message you are looking for, while keeping him from the embarrassment of moving down to AAA.

Yeah, and KW is a very proud man. To send down his prize acquisition after 2 months would never happen.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 30, 2008 -> 06:19 PM)

Assuming Anderson isn't sent down when Uribe comes back...that would require playing Anderson regularly. And I think it'll be a cold day in Dick Cheney's undisclosed location before that happens.

With our second baseman hitting pretty well, I'd bat Swish ninth.

Why the hell are the Sox even thinking of letting Uribe back in the lineup? Ramirez is doing great, at least hitting wise.

How's his defense been?

No more Uribe!!

At this point I'd replace Swisher with Anderson as the everyday starting CF with Swisher becoming the fourth OF/back-up 1B super sub. If Anderson produces you leave it that way unless Konerko is still slumping by the end of June, then Swisher takes over at 1B. If after three to four weeks Anderson isn't getting it done, you put Swisher back in CF and hope the time off did him some good and cleared his mind.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 30, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
At this point I'd replace Swisher with Anderson as the everyday starting CF with Swisher becoming the fourth OF/back-up 1B super sub. If Anderson produces you leave it that way unless Konerko is still slumping by the end of June, then Swisher takes over at 1B. If after three to four weeks Anderson isn't getting it done, you put Swisher back in CF and hope the time off did him some good and cleared his mind.

Unfortunately, there's a better chance of Wise taking over as the full time CF than there is with Anderson doing so.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
Unfortunately, there's a better chance of Wise taking over as the full time CF than there is with Anderson doing so.

Well, if that's the case then Ozzie should replace Swisher in CF with Ramirez. I was just reading that Ozzie said he wants to keep giving Ramirez ABs but also said the Sox need Uribe at 2B. If that's how he sees it, why not sit Swisher for a while and let Ramirez play CF while Uribe is back at 2B. If Uribe gets hot, you leave it like that. If/when Uribe goes ice cold, Ramirez goes back to 2B and Swish comes back in CF. Maybe the rest will do Swish some good---it certainly can't hurt.

“He looks up at the scoreboard and sees .200 up there and he tries to get five hits in one at-bat, and that’s the wrong way to approach the game,” Guillen said. “Hopefully it’s just me seeing that. This game is about individual play, but you got to take care of yourself and don’t try to be the man on this club. We got a lot of guys who can hit and everyone has to do what they can do.”

That's OZ's comment on Swish in the AP story on tonight's pathetic hitting effort.

Swish needs to become Mr. Cliche and take it one at bat at a time. One pitch at a time.

Also in the AP story is this gem:

"Swisher went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts and has six hits in his last 37 at-bats (.162) and is currently batting .203 — below Paul Konerko (.209) and Jim Thome (.208)."

Those are some lame numbers from some well-paid vets.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2008 -> 09:38 PM)

Wise is this years Terrero. Another AAAA outfielder that Ozzie will use over a better defensive CF in Anderson.

Anderson should be playing CF. He has more power, better D, and can hit for better average than Swish right now. If Swish is a team guy, he can be the sub. Swish might need a fake minor injury and get him self worked out in a minor league rehab assignment. Good thing the Sox have Walker who surely will fix Konerko, Thome, and Swisher. I think Dirty 30 will be alright as long as it's not something related to Balco. Swish seems like he would not have a problem there and KW has been avoiding those players for several years. Maybe everyone on the team needs to play AJ's Nintendo DS game to help their recognition speed.

QUOTE (sf_soxfan @ May 31, 2008 -> 02:40 AM)
those are some abhorrent, dismal numbers. gross.

Its all about the money. Swish wasn't helped by the lineup change. By his own admission is trying to do too much..KW because he was a much publicized offseason move want him to be more than what he is.. He is a well paid adequate center fielder who we must play because a lesser paid great centerfielder is under appreciated by Ozzie.. I like Wise he too plays center better than Swish but Ozzie must have this Makowiak syndrome to keep playing him there despite the results.. They say a fool is somebody that does the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

Playing Anderson every 3rd game or so in CF would be a good idea at this point. Just like it made sense in 06 to play Mack every 3rd game, when Anderson was hitting .150. Then, when Swisher starts hitting, start playing Anderson less (that's the part that Ozzie forgot to do in the Anderson/Mack situation).

Swisher is brutal. Its amazing how many people actually want him to play first base. He had a big power drop off last season and this year it continues to drop. Believe me, if the Cubs had traded for him, most of his supporters here would be bringing up PEDs. I'm not saying that he used them, but the power drop off has to make you wonder. Its time Anderson gets to play. I have a hard time believing if he got Swisher's playing time, he couldn't perform better than what we have seen from Nick.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2008 -> 05:30 PM)
Swisher is brutal. Its amazing how many people actually want him to play first base. He had a big power drop off last season and this year it continues to drop. Believe me, if the Cubs had traded for him, most of his supporters here would be bringing up PEDs. I'm not saying that he used them, but the power drop off has to make you wonder. Its time Anderson gets to play. I have a hard time believing if he got Swisher's playing time, he couldn't perform better than what we have seen from Nick.

I don't think it matters what team he's on....people on here have been saying they think he's off the juice.