AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

SoxFan1

You have to be very excited about the 1-4 hitters, all hitting well and close to 300 (O-Cab red hot and on his way up) Thome showing Signs of heating up, Konerko hit the ball to the track every time and just missed a homer fould....Anderson nice to see, Alexei, and Crede staying decent

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 26, 2008 -> 09:12 PM)
what happened? I was not able to see the game thanks to Directv's s***ty-ness.

I didn't like pulling Massett, but I'm not really sure what else there is to complain about?

Konerko had some nice swings tonight. If we can get him to start to heat up, then we can start to put together an offense.

Cabrera heating up as well.

Nice job as a whole by one of the best pitching staffs in baseball.

Check out the main MLB espn page. The sox are up there with a feature on their pitching.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 26, 2008 -> 09:15 PM)
I didn't like pulling Massett, but I'm not really sure what else there is to complain about?

Mainly pulling Masset, not sure why he would put him in when he wouldn' let him pitch an inning. A few minor things as well (not running for Crede)

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 26, 2008 -> 09:22 PM)
Did I miss something?

He had Alexei attempt a hit and run, and it shortly became painfully obvious that SexRam had no idea what that actually is

So perhaps call it bad player preparation, if not bad managing. Alexei's not the most prime candidate for that, but then he pulled it off late in the game.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 26, 2008 -> 10:27 PM)
He had Alexei attempt a hit and run, and it shortly became painfully obvious that SexRam had no idea what that actually is

So perhaps call it bad player preparation, if not bad managing. Alexei's not the most prime candidate for that, but then he pulled it off late in the game.

Oh come on....with that hit he pulled off in the 12th after the fake bunt, he can surely pull off a hit and run. Alexei's just got to do a better job of that....not Ozzie's fault...

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 26, 2008 -> 09:19 PM)
Check out the main MLB espn page. The sox are up there with a feature on their pitching.

they had no choice after the "Yankee and Red Sox highlights next on ESPN" sign from last night's SNBball calling them out for the NY/BOS sports marketing firm that they are!!!

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 26, 2008 -> 10:29 PM)
Oh come on....with that hit he pulled off in the 12th after the fake bunt, he can surely pull off a hit and run. Alexei's just got to do a better job of that....not Ozzie's fault...

Yeah, it's kinda like blaming Ozzie for BA's inability to put down a squeeze bunt.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 26, 2008 -> 09:29 PM)

well, the fact that he was taking wallops at it the first time up, and wasnt in the second situation...

shows that something was adjusted. in that first instance, there was something that needed correction.

if alexei, an import rookie, doesnt know how to swing the bat in that situation....then you have to split some blame there w/ those who are paid big money to prepare players for situations.

Edited by Princess Dye

there were two perfect, ideal times ozzie should have hit and run...one was with no outs OC (fast, can swipe a bag) on first, and AJ (good conact hitter) up to bat, and the other with Alexei (fast, can swipe a bag) on first and OC up to bat (perfect hit and run guy) and ozzie did nothing, with a bad throwing victor martinez behind the plate....both ABs were double plays...both followed by singles that would have scored the runner had he been on 2b, then he hits and runs with Crede (slow) and alexei (massive swing, swings and misses alot) at the plate...

not a huge deal, especially since we won, but ozzie always says he wants the "horses" to play small ball, and he had em tonight and didnt

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 26, 2008 -> 09:31 PM)
Yeah, it's kinda like blaming Ozzie for BA's inability to put down a squeeze bunt.

not completely, b/c that situation is an execution problem, whereas this situation (the HR swings on a hit and run) points to a lack of player preparation

Edited by Princess Dye

Other than stupidly calling for the hit and run with Ramirez I thought Ozzie was fine. His handling of the pitching staff remains his biggest plus as a manager. His biggest detriments -- a fondness for smallball and slap hitters -- he seemingly has put on the shelf mostly. I'm pretty happy with Guillen so far.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 26, 2008 -> 10:33 PM)
not completely, b/c this situation is an execution problem, whereas this situation (the HR swings on a hit and run) points to a lack of player preparation

You put your players in a position to succeed. Ozzie is a master of giving his pitchers just enough rope to hang or save themselves. He should know that Ramirez -- who should be in AAA -- is not a guy you hit and run with in a critical spot.

QUOTE (TheOcho @ May 26, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)
Gotta love the pitching. And my god I don't know how Borowski(sp?) continues to get saves... he's trash.

That 83mph fastball doesn't do anything for you?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 26, 2008 -> 10:35 PM)
You put your players in a position to succeed. Ozzie is a master of giving his pitchers just enough rope to hang or save themselves. He should know that Ramirez -- who should be in AAA -- is not a guy you hit and run with in a critical spot.

Then how the hell did he pull off that move in the 12th?

I agree, Alexei looked like a fool on the hit and run, but hit and runs fail all the time. It's a risky proposition.

We can complain about the Ozzeroo as much as we want...I just don't agree with characterizing it as "horrible" or whatever...."sub-optimal," maybe.

Edited by iamshack