AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

SoxFan1

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 26, 2008 -> 08:22 PM)
Mainly pulling Masset, not sure why he would put him in when he wouldn' let him pitch an inning. A few minor things as well (not running for Crede)

At the time I was thinking " hmmm kind of a short stint for your long man" since the game was in extra innings and you never know how long a game can go. But you can't really consider it bad managing when everything worked out for the best. How do you know if he had left Masset in Cleveland wouldn't have scored off of him ? Bullpen pitched 6 innings and gave up zip. Can't complain about that at all.

GREAT GREAT win, although it was ugly at times with as bad as both teams hit with men on base. Javy deserves a lot of credit. He had NOTHING tonight and still managed to get the bare minimum QS on the road and keep us in the game while eating some innings. Bullpen was great, and it was a good thing the offense showed up in the 12th because we were down to Wassermann and Jenks down there in the bullpen. Let's get a series win tomorrow, hopefully we learned some things last week against Laffey and hit him hard tomorrow.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I just shake my head in disbelief at this pitching staff. I did not expect it to be THIS good. The bullpen was stellar. It's an amazing feeling when you can feel good about any one of five guys (Thornton, Dotel, Logan, Linebrink and Jenks) in clutch situations. If/when the offense catches up with the pitching, will have somethin' special goin' on in '08.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 26, 2008 -> 09:31 PM)
Yeah, it's kinda like blaming Ozzie for BA's inability to put down a squeeze bunt.

Completely different, when all you need is a sac fly or hell even a hit.. why call a suicide squeeze especially involving a player not known for bunting.

OC 4 hits, AJ 3, CQ 2 . Thome HR and 2 ribbies. Dye real nice catch in right , PK showing signs of life with long fly balls, Swish leadoff hit to start 12th, Alexei with the nice hit to right after faking the bunt, Anderson going oppo for the double RBI, Linebrink, Dotel, Masset, Thornton, Logan and Jenks with 6 scoreless innings, Jenks 100th career save !!!!!! Definitely a team victory. Everyone contributed something.

Oops forgot Javy hangin' tough when it looked like he was going to get bombed early.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 26, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
At the time I was thinking " hmmm kind of a short stint for your long man" since the game was in extra innings and you never know how long a game can go. But you can't really consider it bad managing when everything worked out for the best. How do you know if he had left Masset in Cleveland wouldn't have scored off of him ? Bullpen pitched 6 innings and gave up zip. Can't complain about that at all.

Even Steve Stone was extremely puzzled by that move and I would take Stone's logic over Ozzie's any day of the week. With two anemic offenses the Sox could have ran out of pitchers in a hurry. Luckily it worked. FWIW, Linebrink has been ansolutely filthy, hitters weren't even close to his stuff today. Seems like he hit a new gear in the last two weeks.

Edited by sweatpants

QUOTE (sweatpants @ May 26, 2008 -> 09:05 PM)
Even the Steve Stone was extremely puzzled by that move and I would take Stone's logic over Ozzie's any day of the week. With two anemic offenses the Sox could have run out of pitchers in a hurry. Luckily it worked. FWIW, Linebrink has been ansolutely filthy, hitters weren't even close to his stuff today. Seems like he hit a new gear in the last two weeks.

Like I said when it works its good managing. Maybe Ozzie was thinking, "If we can't score off of Clevelands miserable bullpen in the next few innings we deserve to lose." ;)

QUOTE (fathom @ May 26, 2008 -> 11:15 PM)
Anyone see this statistical stuff on Chicago Sports? Pretty cool

http://chicagosports.inside-edge.com/white...2&dt=052608

That's pretty cool that they are doing that. That said, Fangraphs is still about a million times more useful. I"d rather see the beat writers start to incorporate some easy (but important) stats like OPS and K/BB ratio into the writeups.

Until the casual fan realizes how much more important OPS is than stolen bases and average we will continue to see calls for Jerry Owens.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 26, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
He had Alexei attempt a hit and run, and it shortly became painfully obvious that SexRam had no idea what that actually is

So perhaps call it bad player preparation, if not bad managing. Alexei's not the most prime candidate for that, but then he pulled it off late in the game.

Exactly how is Ozzie supposed to know that without trying it? Is he supposed to go over his extensive minor league history? You have to try things to learn things.

Blaming Ozzie for having Alexei try a hit and run is just grasping for straws. If he can execute the slug bunt/butcher boy play to perfection, he sure as hell should (and probably could) execute a hit and run. He just swung and miss, simple as that, it happens sometimes which is why you don't see the hit and run more often.

Edited by whitesoxfan101