Alexei full-time at second base?

rokimar

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2008 -> 07:50 AM)
Utility is utility, I'm not concerned. And I think you'll see O-Cab get hotter at the plate, and sign a new contract during the season ala Dye/MB. Just my opinion. I think Ramirez/Richar are the candidates for 2B.

But certainly, the Sox would be in a better position to make the type of trades I mentioned if they signed O-Cab first, which they may do. Or, do a deal that didn't involve Richar/Getz. Maybe just Getz.

i'd like to revise this earlier statement. If OC is going to be calling the scorer's booth regularly (which I just read he has been doing), and saying he really misses SoCal... then I hope he doesn't re-sign. Hopefully, he'll get his act together.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 27, 2008 -> 08:37 AM)
Alexei is such a fun player to watch I would love to see him there full time...but I dont know just because he is exciting doesnt validate him getting a full time job.In a year or so he will get his time to shine,now is probably not it.

If it is going to take him a year to get there he might never make it, since in that case Richar might pass him by by then if he can stay healthy.

QUOTE (feistyboy @ May 27, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
If it is going to take him a year to get there he might never make it, since in that case Richar might pass him by by then if he can stay healthy.

is richar really still in our plans? i feel like he's just dropped off the map entirely. i mean, i realize he's hurt, but now w/ alexei... doesn't he become expendable?

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 27, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
is richar really still in our plans? i feel like he's just dropped off the map entirely. i mean, i realize he's hurt, but now w/ alexei... doesn't he become expendable?

I though Ramirez was brought in to be our SS next year and Richar our 2b.

I dont see OC or Uribe on this team next year. I think that OC is going to have a good year, but I dont see him resigning with the Sox after all the speculation. Mostly his complaining.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 27, 2008 -> 06:50 PM)

probably not. you likely have ramirez at short and richar at second on opening day next year. fields at third, too.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 27, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)

I would hope he is still in the plans and I honestly think he would be also. Uribe is gone next year, I would bet money on that. Ramirez is doing decently but he has not yet done anything that locks him into the 2nd base job now and in years to come, atleast not yet. Richar is younger and his potential by the organization has been talked up quite a bit. I would think the middle infield situation is very much up in the air for next year, and Richar could definitely be a factor in it.

When has KW ever gone out, targeted a guy, acquired a guy, and then moved him on for nothing? That's what would be happening if Richar wasn't still in the plans. He might well have won the starting 2b job in ST had it not been for his visa issues and injuries. I think the odds are he'll be in the lineup to start next year if he comes back, heals up, and performs this year.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ May 27, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
probably not. you likely have ramirez at short and richar at second on opening day next year. fields at third, too.

I agree all of that, although who knows about Fields at third or not. Maybe Crede at 3rd, and Fields as DH? I expect Cabrera and Uribe both gone (thank goodness), and Ramirez perhaps moved to SS, Richar at 2nd.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....ng-endorse.html

Winning endorsements

By Mark Gonzales - 11:17 p.m.

CLEVELAND - Manager Ozzie Guillen seemed half-serious when he said that Alexei Ramirez would have been demoted to Triple-A Charlotte had he not executed an opposite-field single after ignoring Guillen's bunt sign in the 12th inning of the White Sox's 6-3 win at Cleveland.

But Guillen was delighted to learn that Ramirez is capable of those talents, which will allow Guillen to call for more hit-and-run plays with Ramirez at the plate.

Guillen and the Sox faithful have been antsy about the lack of offense. The Sox collected 17 hits Monday night after hitting .214 on their recent six-game homestand.

But those who have been calling for the benching or platooning of Paul Konerko and Jim Thome will be disappointed, as Guillen gave his two struggling sluggers a pat on the back.

Konerko hit the ball with more authority after sitting out the past three games following a cortisone shot on his right thumb.

"You have to stay with him," Guillen said of Konerko, who is batting .204. "You can’t be panicking. I think we need the offense to give the pitchers a little break once in a while."

Meanwhile, Thome had two hits, including a homer off Paul Byrd. Thome has hit five of his 10 home runs against Cleveland this season, but he's batting only .207.

"I talked to him a couple days ago," Guillen said. "I told him don't put presssure on yourself. You know what you can do. The guy is (tied for fourth) in home runs, and he's had a few RBIs (27) for us. He's going to strike out. Of course, he's going to strike out. He's going to struggle.

"But it’s a long season. And we’re going to take care of him physically, becuase if Thome is fine physically, he’ll do what he always does and hopefully, little-by-little, get better."

Thome's homer was the 517th of his career.

Orlando Cabrera is rapidly improving at the plate. Cabrera's four-hit game, which included the game-winning hit, raised his batting average to .241. He is 13-for-38 over his past nine games.

"Hopefully when he’s still hitting, he’s the Cabrera we made the trade for," Guillen said. "We all expect that. We're waiting for him for a (long time)."

I would have benched Ramirez for that stunt he pulled off. Of course it worked out, but if I give you a sign, that means you do what I tell you to do. I like Ramirez probably more than anyone else here, but you can't be making up plays for yourself, especially when you are in a close game vs. a divisional rival.

However, it is a non-subject now. Hopefully Uribe gets DFA'ed, and Richar gets called up in place of Wise once he's ready. Keep Ramirez in the middle infield as well, as we don't need to be shifting him from 5 different positions every other day. I'd have Richar and Ramirez platoon at second (with Pablo getting a game here or there, but mainly being Crede's backup at 3B), and have Ramirez give Cabrera a day off every once in a while at short.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 27, 2008 -> 06:44 PM)
But if the 1b is encroaching and you've got a cookie...

Ramirez saw the first baseman encroaching, but he never knew he'd get a cookie. He was gambling, as he never had any intention of bunting after he saw the first baseman come up. The gamble payed off for Ramirez, and it worked out. But he still went against manager orders.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2008 -> 04:46 AM)
The thing that bugs me about Ramirez is that he really seems to have a low baseball IQ.

The thing that bugs me is that he'll go from making a very smart play, like pulling back the bat on a bunt and singling over the head of the drawn in infield, to making a dumb play the next day, like not counting the number of outs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2008 -> 10:52 AM)
The thing that bugs me is that he'll go from making a very smart play, like pulling back the bat on a bunt and singling over the head of the drawn in infield, to making a dumb play the next day, like not counting the number of outs.

That's what I am talking about. Why would you swing full strength on a hit and run? Things like that. There just seems to be something missing there. Maybe he was used to being a star in Cuba and he didn't have to worry about details, but here that s*** doesn't fly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2008 -> 07:46 AM)
The thing that bugs me about Ramirez is that he really seems to have a low baseball IQ.

Well its not like the guy that he is replacing was a rocket scientist either. He made bonehead plays as well, and is in the league for a lot longer. Hopefully he learns and gets better. But we need to ride the hot bat right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2008 -> 06:46 AM)

Where in the hell do you get that notion from? He's a mlb rookie spending his first few months in the US playing professional baseball, and doing pretty well at it. He has made many baseball smart moves other than the butcher boy, how bout his slide in the game today, recognizing the catcher's placement and where the plate was. I would say you are entirely wrong in that statement IMO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2008 -> 06:46 AM)

I disagree I think he has a high baseball IQ, the slide today was a good midplay adjustment and the 12th inning hit seemed to be a recognition thing based on the pitch and the player movement. I think he is still getting acclimated to the MLB way of things and will only get better. He has laid down a couple of good sac bunts so I believe he got a pitch he could hit and adjusted nicely as oppossed to the players who can not lay down a bunt and lack basic fundamental skills and the abiltiy to adjust their thought process.

Forgetting the number of outs was dumb but that happens. Swinging from your heels on a hit and run is dumb and hopefull he'll learn. He got a high fastball and pulled the trigger, nothing he could do there.

Where in the hell do you get that notion from? He's a mlb rookie spending his first few months in the US playing professional baseball, and doing pretty well at it. He has made many baseball smart moves other than the butcher boy, how bout his slide in the game today, recognizing the catcher's placement and where the plate was. I would say you are entirely wrong in that statement IMO.

Well, yes, he's made some very good instinctual plays but some brain cramp plays as well. He had a huge cut on a hit and run the other night and Crede was thrown out by a mile. He should know to shorten his swing. Also, he forgot how many outs there were the other night.

I agree he's in the midst of an adjustment period and maybe some of this is nervousness or being over anxious. Hopefully that's the case. It's clear he is talented but there have been a number of fundamental errors anyone at the MLB level shouldn't be making. That said he's not the only one making those mistakes on this team but I'm just focusing on Ramirez in this thread.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 28, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)
Well, yes, he's made some very good instinctual plays but some brain cramp plays as well. He had a huge cut on a hit and run the other night and Crede was thrown out by a mile. He should know to shorten his swing. Also, he forgot how many outs there were the other night.

I agree he's in the midst of an adjustment period and maybe some of this is nervousness or being over anxious. Hopefully that's the case. It's clear he is talented but there have been a number of fundamental errors anyone at the MLB level shouldn't be making. That said he's not the only one making those mistakes on this team but I'm just focusing on Ramirez in this thread.

How many of those can be called rookie mistakes? How about rookie's who havent played ball in the US before? I mean come on, its a totally different game, different country, hes a young kid and you say he should have "known" to cut down a swing, like he intentionally tried to have a long swing? Come on, how nitpicking can you get?

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 28, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)
Forgetting the number of outs was dumb but that happens. Swinging from your heels on a hit and run is dumb and hopefull he'll learn. He got a high fastball and pulled the trigger, nothing he could do there.

It happened the other day defensively to a SS, i cant remember who it was, but it should have been a dp, but instead they gave up the tying run due to his miscue.

How many of those can be called rookie mistakes? How about rookie's who havent played ball in the US before? I mean come on, its a totally different game, different country, hes a young kid and you say he should have "known" to cut down a swing, like he intentionally tried to have a long swing? Come on, how nitpicking can you get?

Not nitpicking Rock, just not making excuses for him either. It's the big leagues, they were mistakes so let's call them mistakes. Hit and runs are the same everywhere in baseball. If the coaches haven't emphasized what they expect from him on a hit and run, then the coaches are at fault too.

Interestingly, the two White Sox announcers and the Cleveland announcers commented on his huge swing on that play, noting he should know it's a contact play and to cut down on the swing.